/tmp

Post by Nick Osbo » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Help

I am new to Unix and Solaris so please "humor" me.

I have a customer using solaris 2.6 running Veritas and on a weekly
basis the /tmp folder is getting full and therfore requiring the
system to be shutdown.

They use both Veritas for disk management and their netbackup
software.

The last time the machine crashed I had a file with a size as
1390051328 and a name of croutULB0vVkpG.

My user didn't try "cat" or "more" of the file so I don't know what
was in it.  Has anyone got any ideas.

This is a long shot.

Thanks in advance for your help

Nick

/tmp

Post by Peter Ben » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>The last time the machine crashed I had a file with a size as
>1390051328 and a name of croutULB0vVkpG.

>My user didn't try "cat" or "more" of the file so I don't know what
>was in it.  Has anyone got any ideas.

The datestamp is also important - I think you'll find that the time
corresponds with a cron job. (/usr/sbin/cron contains that string
'crout'.)

Peter

1. /tmp vs /usr/tmp vs /var/tmp

:Please help me understand temp directories.  I know what /tmp is for,
:and I know that /var/tmp is like /tmp only it is not normally cleared
:at boot-time.  But then what is /usr/tmp for?  or aren't /usr/tmp and
:/var/tmp usually used in the same implementation?

/usr/tmp and /var aren't normally in the same implementation.

--

 InterNIC WHOIS: MJO | (has my PGP & Geek Code info) | Phone: +1 248-848-4481

2. Iomega Jaz Jet PCI SCSI Driver Wanted!!

3. How to limit the use of /tmp and /var/tmp by arbitrary users

4. Adding 16 or 24 bpp support for cards?

5. Why is there /tmp in addition to /var/tmp.

6. CC and linking libraries --> HUGE executable

7. /tmp/kfm_503* and /tmp/kio_503*

8. Need Help with Samba Setup problem

9. Permissions on /tmp or /var/tmp?

10. UNIX QUESTION: how to redefine /tmp and /usr/tmp ?

11. difference between /tmp and /var/tmp?

12. Permissions on /tmp or /var/tmp?

13. mfs & /tmp vs /var/tmp