Jaz disk: reading files help..

Post by Joerg Schilli » Fri, 07 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>Hello Netters,

>    I'm having a problem reading some files (mostly binary data files)
>        from the Jaz disk on the Sun work-station. These files were
>    orginally written on a PC.  Later, when the Jaz disk was moved to the
>    Sun (Solaris 2.4) its gives the following error:

>        % cp t1d97026.spc /tmp
>        corrupted PC file system on dev 0x800022
>        cp: t1d97026.spc: I/O error
>        %

Are you shure that the sector size (as noted in the DOS bootsector) of your
PC filesystem is 512 Bytes?

The Sun PC filsystem code is horrorly broken. It works only by
accident if the logical sector size of a filesystem, is 512 bytes.

If you are interested in the reason, here it is:

Sun computes the sector offset for xxx_strategy (based on 512 Bytes sectors)
by adding numbers based on 512 Byte sector size and numbers based on the
logical sector size and then multiplying the result with the factor
logical size/ 512bytes. This results in wrong filesystem offsets for the
device driver.

Joerg
--

1. Jaz disk: reading files help..

Hello Netters,

        I'm having a problem reading some files (mostly binary data files)
        from the Jaz disk on the Sun work-station. These files were
        orginally written on a PC.  Later, when the Jaz disk was moved to the
        Sun (Solaris 2.4) its gives the following error:

        % cp t1d97026.spc /tmp
        corrupted PC file system on dev 0x800022
        cp: t1d97026.spc: I/O error
        %

        And, when I try to read it using my "vi" editor it gives this
        error

        t1d97026.spc"corrupted PC file system on dev 0x800022
         [READ ERRORS] 0 lines, 0 characters

        However, I'm able to read the first few lines (like first 80
        lines).

        and on it also gives this error when i try to check the number of
        lines and characters in it using "wc"

        % wc t1d97026.spc
        corrupted PC file system on dev 0x800022
        wc: t1d97026.spc: I/O error
             85     567   32768 t1d97026.spc
        %

        NOTE:-
        Not all the files give error like the above one. Its mostly the
        binary data files which are giving this kind of error. And, even
        some ascii files also give the above mentioned errors.

        I'm unable to move the file system from my Jaz drive or even
        read it on it. Can you please help me in sparing some of your
        precious time in fixing this problem.

        Your help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated

        Thanks a lot in advance
        -
        Pavan

PS:- Since i don't check the newsgroups on regular basis. Can you please

--

2. Need help with DHCP setup -> Solaris 7

3. Jaz-drive detected, but can't read the disks?

4. re : Scheduler

5. Iomega jaz disk read errors

6. HELP !!!!

7. Jaz-drive detected, but can't read the disks?

8. iNTEL pro/10+ & eepro.o

9. Help - Jaz disk: DOS-formatting on Solaris2.5?

10. Read/write files to disk

11. Read SCO File System (Hard Disk) from Linux?

12. Reading files off a DOS formatted floppy disk

13. Reading and Writing a Tar File to Zip Disk