'delete' command in ftp delete files in local hard disk ???

'delete' command in ftp delete files in local hard disk ???

Post by Wyatt Wo » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I write a batch file in Windows to download some files from an
UltraSPARC running Solaris in a LAN. The files will be deleted after
it was retrieved. Currently, I generate a ftp script file in the batch
file and pass it to ftp with 'ftp -ivn < myfile.ftp' in Windows.

The ftp script generated will be something like this:

open <ip_address>
user <username> <pass>
cd <source_path>
lcd <dest_path>
get myfile1
delete myfile1
get myfile2
delete myfile2
..
bye

Note that It is possible that the files are not available in the
UltraSPARC and it seems there is a bug in the ftp 'delete' command
(maybe in Windows environment).

The 'delete' command is supposed to delete the file in the REMOTE
environment, however, if the file does not exist in the UltraSPARC,
the 'delete' command will delete the file store in my LOCAL HARD DISK.

Is there anyway to prevent the 'delete' command to delete the files in
my local hard disk when it doesn't exist in thre UltraSPARC ?

\/\/yatt \/\/ong Home Page - http://www.asiaonline.net.hk/~tfwong/
Winona Ryder Forever H. P. - http://www.asiaonline.net.hk/~tfwong/winona/

Send a message with subject GET PGP KEY to get my PGP public key

'delete' command in ftp delete files in local hard disk ???

Post by Nele Paulse » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

make it interactive.
You'll see, that after get of an nonexistent source file to a target-dir with
an equal named
file, your existing file on NT will have a 0-Byte lenght.

Nele

> I write a batch file in Windows to download some files from an
> UltraSPARC running Solaris in a LAN. The files will be deleted after
> it was retrieved. Currently, I generate a ftp script file in the batch
> file and pass it to ftp with 'ftp -ivn < myfile.ftp' in Windows.

> The ftp script generated will be something like this:

> open <ip_address>
> user <username> <pass>
> cd <source_path>
> lcd <dest_path>
> get myfile1
> delete myfile1
> get myfile2
> delete myfile2
> ..
> bye

> Note that It is possible that the files are not available in the
> UltraSPARC and it seems there is a bug in the ftp 'delete' command
> (maybe in Windows environment).

> The 'delete' command is supposed to delete the file in the REMOTE
> environment, however, if the file does not exist in the UltraSPARC,
> the 'delete' command will delete the file store in my LOCAL HARD DISK.

> Is there anyway to prevent the 'delete' command to delete the files in
> my local hard disk when it doesn't exist in thre UltraSPARC ?

> \/\/yatt \/\/ong Home Page - http://www.asiaonline.net.hk/~tfwong/
> Winona Ryder Forever H. P. - http://www.asiaonline.net.hk/~tfwong/winona/

> Send a message with subject GET PGP KEY to get my PGP public key

'delete' command in ftp delete files in local hard disk ???

Post by Wyatt Wo » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

What do u mean by interactive ? You mean not in a batch mode ?

I have to do it in a batch file because it will be run by the operator
and I don't want to involve any human intervention.

>Hi,

>make it interactive.
>You'll see, that after get of an nonexistent source file to a target-dir with
>an equal named
>file, your existing file on NT will have a 0-Byte lenght.

>Nele

>> I write a batch file in Windows to download some files from an
>> UltraSPARC running Solaris in a LAN. The files will be deleted after
>> it was retrieved. Currently, I generate a ftp script file in the batch
>> file and pass it to ftp with 'ftp -ivn < myfile.ftp' in Windows.

>> The ftp script generated will be something like this:

>> open <ip_address>
>> user <username> <pass>
>> cd <source_path>
>> lcd <dest_path>
>> get myfile1
>> delete myfile1
>> get myfile2
>> delete myfile2
>> ..
>> bye

>> Note that It is possible that the files are not available in the
>> UltraSPARC and it seems there is a bug in the ftp 'delete' command
>> (maybe in Windows environment).

>> The 'delete' command is supposed to delete the file in the REMOTE
>> environment, however, if the file does not exist in the UltraSPARC,
>> the 'delete' command will delete the file store in my LOCAL HARD DISK.

>> Is there anyway to prevent the 'delete' command to delete the files in
>> my local hard disk when it doesn't exist in thre UltraSPARC ?

>> \/\/yatt \/\/ong Home Page - http://www.asiaonline.net.hk/~tfwong/
>> Winona Ryder Forever H. P. - http://www.asiaonline.net.hk/~tfwong/winona/

>> Send a message with subject GET PGP KEY to get my PGP public key

\/\/yatt \/\/ong Home Page - http://www.asiaonline.net.hk/~tfwong/
Winona Ryder Forever H. P. - http://www.asiaonline.net.hk/~tfwong/winona/

Send a message with subject GET PGP KEY to get my PGP public key

1. "rm: can't unlink 'files'",can't delete files

Hi,
I copied files from ntfs partition with "cp -r" to
a ext3 linux partion.
Every source file's hard link number is 1.  However,
some destination files's hard link number changed.
Is it nornmal? What made this change?

When I tried to delete these destination files,
shell showed me "rm:can't unlink XXX :Permission denied"
(XXX are file's name).  This happened to files no matter
what their hard link number is, 1 or more.

I ran as the owner of these files, why still permission
denied?  Is there any way I can know where the other
hard link, pointing to the same disk space, is?

Anyone can tell me what caused this and how to solve
it?

Thanks
--
We never meet....

2. [Explain ARP to me! Please!]

4. Kernel Change Summary 2.0

5. Can ISP detect when dial-ins are 'overloaded' ?

6. FTP INSTALL - Alpha Linux problem

7. how do 'plug-ins' work?

8. Loss of Video with New Kernel

9. Can ISP detect when dial-ins are 'overloaded' ?

10. Getting unresolved symbols for 'new' and 'delete' operators

11. How to delete file called '--preserve'