How to prevent Answerbook from accessing the network?

How to prevent Answerbook from accessing the network?

Post by merr.. » Fri, 22 Sep 1995 04:00:00

How can I prevent Answerbook from looking for answerbooks on the network?

I have a SPARC running Solaris 2.3 with a PPP/modem connection to the Internet.
If I start Answerbook with the PPP connection up, it starts fine.  Usually,
however, I don't have the connection up.  In this case, when I start
Answerbook, it apparently goes looking on the network for answerbooks, and PPP
dials the modem, etc.  This is not what I want.  Of course, I can foil PPP by
turning off the modem (the usual situation), but then Answerbook blocks for
about 2 minutes, presumably until until PPP times out.

So, how can I prevent Answerbook from looking for answerbooks on the network?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Cris Merritt

Cristopher Merritt              Brunnmattstr. 53A

Tel: +41 31 371 94 19           Switzerland

1. AnswerBook "Can't open AnswerBook Viewer"

Hello,

I am able to dial in to my workstation  via ppp and redefine the DISPLAY var
to the dynamic IP address that I am given by the company server. Every thing
works fine.
 I am going from Solaris 1.x to Solaris 2.x, and would like to be able to
use AnswerBook. The AnswerBook Navigator comes up ok. But when I select a
topic, I see an error message on my Linux machine that says something to the
effect "Can't open viewer". As the DISPLAY is set to ip:0.0, does the viewer
require another x window something like ip:0.1? Besides this problem, every
thing works great!
 Any ideas, or solutions?

                                         Thanks,
                                         Robert

--

  1000 Coit Road Plano, Texas 75075
  **** The opinions expressed are not those of DSC Communications, Inc ****

2. accessing drive a

3. AnswerBook 2 Web access limit

4. Q: xview: memory associated with attributes

5. answerbook docviewer remote access problem

6. Record the input char

7. How can I access remote AnswerBooks??

8. CLGD54xx and weird behaviour

9. answerbook access to NFSmounted

10. Accessing Answerbook?

11. Is it possible to access remote AnswerBooks?

12. how to prevent prevent .so-calling routine to crash from segfaults in .so

13. Preventing access to sulog to UID=0 users possible?