Expert advice needed: wuftp vs. ncftp

Post by Brian Ri » Sun, 25 May 1997 04:00:00

I'd appreciate some insight as to the relative merits/demerits of each of
these packages.  I saw a note a coupla days ago that expressed the opinion
that ncftp is better than wuftp (easier to configure and more secure) but
I'd like quantitative information, if I can get it.

Thanks in advance!

--
Bri

Expert advice needed: wuftp vs. ncftp

Post by No_S.. » Sun, 25 May 1997 04:00:00

[Please use address listed below if replying by e-mail.]

BR>I'd appreciate some insight as to the relative merits/demerits of each of
BR>these packages.  I saw a note a coupla days ago that expressed the opinion
BR>that ncftp is better than wuftp (easier to configure and more secure) but
BR>I'd like quantitative information, if I can get it.

I am not certain that it is possible to justify the statement, "ncftp is
better than wuftp," considering that ncftp is a client and wuftp is a
server.

                   Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
                http://www.ECE.Concordia.CA/~chris/addr.html

Post by Jim Vanat » Mon, 26 May 1997 04:00:00

> [Please use address listed below if replying by e-mail.]

> BR>I'd appreciate some insight as to the relative merits/demerits of each of
> BR>these packages.  I saw a note a coupla days ago that expressed the opinion
> BR>that ncftp is better than wuftp (easier to configure and more secure) but
> BR>I'd like quantitative information, if I can get it.

> I am not certain that it is possible to justify the statement, "ncftp is
> better than wuftp," considering that ncftp is a client and wuftp is a
> server.

It might be if he's referring to the ncftpd server daemon, which I believe
is not related to the ncftp client.

Jim Vanator

--
"Son, I just want you to know: life is a black, sucking, vortex of anguish and
despair, filled with brief moments of false hope and empty joy, all the while

Post by Paul David Fo » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

> I'd appreciate some insight as to the relative merits/demerits of each of
> these packages.  I saw a note a coupla days ago that expressed the opinion
> that ncftp is better than wuftp (easier to configure and more secure) but
> I'd like quantitative information, if I can get it.

> Thanks in advance!

Having used ncftp (but not wuftp) all I can say is that it is pure
junk. Its feature set is really cool but it will drive you insane
with the bugs. The two that give me no joy are:

1. On a slow/bad-link, it will timeout and exit without attempting
   retries.

2. If you do a ^Z (SIGSTOP) whilst it is downloading it will sometimes
   think you ^C-ed it and exit and/or a timeout will occur when you
   fg it.

If I had time to fix it I would. Its a shame because its a good
program but it is useless because of these factors.

| Paul David Fox          Lehman Brothers.                           |

| ######################  Tel: +44 171 601 0011 x6025                |
This message is

1. advice needed: Alpha vs P-II vs HP

We're looking for a relatively low-cost workstation (under $10,000)
at our lab and the Powers That Be want to purchase an HP B160L.  From
HP's website, I see it benchmarks as SPECint95 of 7.78 and SPECfp95 of
7.39.

I haven't used linux much myself, but colleagues I trust vouch for it.
So I've checked into linux-based alternatives.  I've found Pentium II
systems which benchmark int and fp of 10.8 and 6.9, respectively and
sell for about half what the HP would cost us.

I've also checked out a nice DEC Alpha system which benchmarks at
int and fp of 15.3 and 21.1 for about 3/4 of what the HP would cost.

From reading through various web sites, it seems that about the only
significant piece of software which would not run under the Alpha
is Netscape, and that can be made to run using an x86 emulator
provided free of charge by DEC.  The only thing HP offers that the
P-II or Alpha systems don't is better hardware and software support.
But linux has an awful lot of support over the net.

The P-II and Alpha systems also seem to be better suited for future
upgrades than something like an HP or a Sun.  Is there any reason to
think DEC's financial difficulties might affect future support for the
Alpha chip?

So my question is this:  Is there any reason *not* to get an
alpha-based system running linux which has a floating point benchmark
three times faster than that HP and yet sells for 3/4 the price?

My answer is becoming an emphatic NO, but that still leaves me the
task of convinving those Powers That Be around here, who want the
letters H and P on the front of the new computer, or at least something
they recognize such as that nifty Sun logo.  Any suggestions on quelling
fears such as hardware/software support, software compatibility, etc?

Thanks.

--Steve

Steve Beresh                       *
Dept of Aerospace Engineering      *  "I hate quotations."
University of Texas at Austin      *       --Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. how limited disk space in solaris 8 by quota ( eg. 20m)

3. Need Routing Expert Advice

4. File System Corruption

5. Need wise expert advice

6. prob compiling enlightenment 2 -error messages

7. Expert Advice Needed Urgently

8. Red Hat Printing blues

9. Expert advice needed

10. I need some expert Unix shell advice...

11. Advice needed from Lunix Experts..

12. Expert Advice needed!!

13. Need expert advices on routing questions