DNS Does not work with DHCP?

Post by Kevin Tsan » Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I am experiencing a problem: when users logon to UNIX from their PC
using either telnet or reflection, it takes minutes to logon. The server
does not reject a connection, instead, it puts all incoming telnet
sessions on hold for few minutes before it returns with a login prompt.

Our PCs are obtaining their IPs from a NT DHCP server, however, the
HP/UX 10.20 server is configured as the DNS server. We've found out the
HPUX exhaustively perform inverse DNS lookup until time out.  We phoned
HP but replied no solution to this problem, all we could do is giving
all PC addresses phony names.

Any one has experienced this before and any suggestions?

Thanks

Kevin Tsang

DNS Does not work with DHCP?

Post by Christian Kratze » Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:> Hi all,
> I am experiencing a problem: when users logon to UNIX from their PC
> using either telnet or reflection, it takes minutes to logon. The server
> does not reject a connection, instead, it puts all incoming telnet
> sessions on hold for few minutes before it returns with a login prompt.
> Our PCs are obtaining their IPs from a NT DHCP server, however, the
> HP/UX 10.20 server is configured as the DNS server. We've found out the
> HPUX exhaustively perform inverse DNS lookup until time out.  We phoned
> HP but replied no solution to this problem, all we could do is giving
> all PC addresses phony names.
> Any one has experienced this before and any suggestions?

most unix'es try to lookup ip addresses of incoming connections on
telnet and ftp and many other services.  You really should configure
your dns to contain names for all ip addresses.

Greetings
Christian Kratzer
Toplink

--

Christian Kratzer                               http://www.toplink.net/
Phone:  +49 7032 2701-0

DNS Does not work with DHCP?

Post by Thierry Achaintr » Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

When your PCs connect to the server using telnet, the telnetd daemon running
on the server try to resolve the IP adresse of the client. Telnet protocol
works like this.
So, the the prompt appears after the end of the time out resulting of the
bad reverse resolution tried by the telnetd daemon.
This time out is not configurable, but the reverse resolution can works if
your network is well defined in your DNS server.
I can't explain to you, how because I need more information on your
configuration, but you can consult this reference book :
"DNS and BIND" wrote by Paul Albitz and Cricket Liu and published by
O'Reilly & Associates Inc.

Thierry

Quote:>Hi all,

>I am experiencing a problem: when users logon to UNIX from their PC
>using either telnet or reflection, it takes minutes to logon. The server
>does not reject a connection, instead, it puts all incoming telnet
>sessions on hold for few minutes before it returns with a login prompt.

>Our PCs are obtaining their IPs from a NT DHCP server, however, the
>HP/UX 10.20 server is configured as the DNS server. We've found out the
>HPUX exhaustively perform inverse DNS lookup until time out.  We phoned
>HP but replied no solution to this problem, all we could do is giving
>all PC addresses phony names.

>Any one has experienced this before and any suggestions?

>Thanks

>Kevin Tsang

DNS Does not work with DHCP?

Post by Thomas H Jones I » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>> HP but replied no solution to this problem, all we could do is giving
>> all PC addresses phony names.

>So go ahead and load your DNS with dummy names for all of the addresses
>in your DHCP range(s), both forward and reverse lookup.

just a silly question, but WHY are you refering to these as "dummy" or
"phony" names. If they exist within a host mapping table (be it /etc/hosts,
lmhosts, or DNS) they are as real as any other system's entry. The whole
DNS system is basically a set of constructs to make reaching networked
systems easier for humans to deal with. it's not "real"; therefore, DHCP
clients wont have fake/phony/dummy names.

-tom
--

"You can only be -so- accurate with a claw-hammer."  --me

DNS Does not work with DHCP?

Post by James Kelle » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Where could I find drivers for a Espon DFX-5000+ printer, to work with IBM
AIX.

Thank please email me

DNS Does not work with DHCP?

Post by Superuse » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> I am experiencing a problem: when users logon to UNIX from their PC
> using either telnet or reflection, it takes minutes to logon. The server
> does not reject a connection, instead, it puts all incoming telnet
> sessions on hold for few minutes before it returns with a login prompt.

> Our PCs are obtaining their IPs from a NT DHCP server, however, the
> HP/UX 10.20 server is configured as the DNS server. We've found out the
> HPUX exhaustively perform inverse DNS lookup until time out.  We phoned
> HP but replied no solution to this problem, all we could do is giving
> all PC addresses phony names.

> Any one has experienced this before and any suggestions?

> Thanks

> Kevin Tsang

The pc software / HP UX will be performing a reverse lookup i.e. trying
to resolve the ip-address of the pc-client to a name.

Both the pc-client and hp-ux host should be able to resolve names to
ip-addresses and vice versa.

Hope this helps.

Robin Smith.

DNS Does not work with DHCP?

Post by pe.. » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>>> HP but replied no solution to this problem, all we could do is giving
>>> all PC addresses phony names.

>>So go ahead and load your DNS with dummy names for all of the addresses
>>in your DHCP range(s), both forward and reverse lookup.
> just a silly question, but WHY are you refering to these as "dummy" or
> "phony" names. If they exist within a host mapping table (be it /etc/hosts,
> lmhosts, or DNS) they are as real as any other system's entry. The whole
> DNS system is basically a set of constructs to make reaching networked
> systems easier for humans to deal with. it's not "real"; therefore, DHCP
> clients wont have fake/phony/dummy names.

Becouse the don't have to bear any connection to the clients identity!

Just use the same name forward and backward (like
dhcp-55.enterproce.com. IN      A       111.222.333.44

and

44                      IN      PTR     dhcp-55.enterproce.com.

Quote:> -tom
> --
> "You can only be -so- accurate with a claw-hammer."  --me

Peter H?kanson            Phone +46 0708 39 23 04
Network Management AB     Fax   +46 031 779 7844
Email : use peter (at) gbg (dot) netman (dot) se  No copy to sanford wallace!

DNS Does not work with DHCP?

Post by Niki Ho » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Telnet protocol will do a reverse mapping query. The server will query the
DNS for your PC's FQDN. If your DNS's are not too busy and function well,
you should see your login prompt in seconds. In the worst case (can't reach
DNS servers), it will take about 80 seconds to come back.

Elli

> Hi all,

> I am experiencing a problem: when users logon to UNIX from their PC
> using either telnet or reflection, it takes minutes to logon. The server
> does not reject a connection, instead, it puts all incoming telnet
> sessions on hold for few minutes before it returns with a login prompt.

> Our PCs are obtaining their IPs from a NT DHCP server, however, the
> HP/UX 10.20 server is configured as the DNS server. We've found out the
> HPUX exhaustively perform inverse DNS lookup until time out.  We phoned
> HP but replied no solution to this problem, all we could do is giving
> all PC addresses phony names.

> Any one has experienced this before and any suggestions?

> Thanks

> Kevin Tsang

1. Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients

I've got a solaris 9 04/04 box set up with the bundled DNS and DHCP servers but I can't seem to get windows XP clients to dynamicaly register their names in DNS. DHCP seems to work just fine.

I've followed the rather simple doco at http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/806-5529/6jehkcs59?a=view however it still does not work.
This doco covers adding the allow-update directive to the named.conf file, which I've done for local and loop back IPs and then ticking the "Update DNS host information upon client request" check box in DHCP configuration.

When I configure a DHCP domain from scratch and it comes to the section on where to store host names, I choose DNS, I get a popup that says "Unable to manage defined hosts table". I've gone back to "none" then later ticked Edit -> Modify: "Update DNS host information upon client request"....still no updates.

There is nothing loged in the DHCP logs relevant to dns problems.

My named.conf file is:
bash-2.05# cat /etc/named.conf
options {
        directory "/etc/named";
        pid-file "/var/run/named.pid";
        forwarders {
                <dns 1>;
                <dns 2>;
                <dns 3>;
                };
        forward first;
        };

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "/etc/named/db.cache";
        };

zone "pjama.loc" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/named/<my domain>.hosts";
        allow-update {
                127.0.0.1;
                192.168.200.1;
                192.168.200.11;
                };
        };

zone "200.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        allow-update {
                127.0.0.1;
                192.168.200.1;
                192.168.200.11;
                };
        file "/etc/named/192.168.200.rev";
        };

logging {
        category default {
                default_syslog;
                default_debug;
                default_stderr;
                };
        };
bash-2.05

Any assistance appreciated.

Cheers
Peter Arnold

2. Need help with passwd command

3. Pine setup

4. Fritz DSL, DHCP/DNS problem, DNS does not show the hostname

5. Help with SB32 and CDroms PLEASE!!!!! :(

6. DHCP not working when booting, works after login

7. Linux on performa 5200?

8. DNS and DHCP working in harmony?

9. anyone working with dhcp and dynamic dns?

10. how dns & dhcp work together ???

11. Getting DNS to work on a IP Masq'ed DHCP client

12. Getting DHCP and DNS to work together