setup DNS Solaris 9

setup DNS Solaris 9

Post by Johan Louwer » Sun, 21 Dec 2003 08:57:37



I just installed solaris 9 on a box at home to play and learn some
more with solaris. Te problem now is a follows. I do have a home
nerwork and DNS to my other workstations is given by the router.

I have enterd the IP of the router in /etc/defaultrouter

#cat defaultrouter
10.0.0.138

I have access to the internet. I can ping a extrenal IP adres and get
response from that IP. The problem is that I do not know how I can set
the DNS server to that adres (10.0.0.138).

This is what I know at this point....

I have to set the "hosts" part in /etc/nsswitch.dns to :
hosts:   files dns

after that I have to create /etc/resolv.conf   What do I put in this
file? and is that all and are the things noted above correct?

Thanks already.

 
 
 

setup DNS Solaris 9

Post by Shivakanth Mundr » Sun, 21 Dec 2003 12:07:42



> I just installed solaris 9 on a box at home to play and learn some
> more with solaris. Te problem now is a follows. I do have a home
> nerwork and DNS to my other workstations is given by the router.

> I have enterd the IP of the router in /etc/defaultrouter

> #cat defaultrouter
> 10.0.0.138

> I have access to the internet. I can ping a extrenal IP adres and get
> response from that IP. The problem is that I do not know how I can set
> the DNS server to that adres (10.0.0.138).

> This is what I know at this point....

> I have to set the "hosts" part in /etc/nsswitch.dns to :
> hosts:      files dns

> after that I have to create /etc/resolv.conf   What do I put in this
> file? and is that all and are the things noted above correct?

> Thanks already.

Its /etc/nsswitch.conf that should have dns against the hosts entry.
The other nsswitch.* files  represent a template file that should be
copied depending on what Name service you are using.

cat /etc/nsswitch.conf | grep hosts

hosts:      files dns

/etc/resolv.conf should look like

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain whatever.com
nameserver DNSIP#1
nameserver DNSIP#2
search whatever.com

Shivakanth

 
 
 

setup DNS Solaris 9

Post by Johan Louwer » Sun, 21 Dec 2003 19:58:00


Quote:

>Its /etc/nsswitch.conf that should have dns against the hosts entry.
>The other nsswitch.* files  represent a template file that should be
>copied depending on what Name service you are using.

>cat /etc/nsswitch.conf | grep hosts

>hosts:      files dns

>/etc/resolv.conf should look like

>$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>domain whatever.com
>nameserver DNSIP#1
>nameserver DNSIP#2
>search whatever.com

>Shivakanth

It is working fine now.  Thanks.
the problem I also was having was that I realy enterd domain
whatever.com becaus I was thinking this was not needed but you have to
enter the damain of your ISP and also enter the domain of you ISP at
search.

After that all worked fine :-)

 
 
 

setup DNS Solaris 9

Post by Barry Margoli » Mon, 22 Dec 2003 04:00:50




Quote:

> >Its /etc/nsswitch.conf that should have dns against the hosts entry.
> >The other nsswitch.* files  represent a template file that should be
> >copied depending on what Name service you are using.

> >cat /etc/nsswitch.conf | grep hosts

> >hosts:      files dns

> >/etc/resolv.conf should look like

> >$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> >domain whatever.com
> >nameserver DNSIP#1
> >nameserver DNSIP#2
> >search whatever.com

> >Shivakanth

> It is working fine now.  Thanks.
> the problem I also was having was that I realy enterd domain
> whatever.com becaus I was thinking this was not needed but you have to
> enter the damain of your ISP and also enter the domain of you ISP at
> search.

You don't have to enter the domain of your ISP.  The domains specified
in "domain" and "search" are only used as default domains when you enter
an unqualified name.

BTW, you don't need both "domain" and "search".  If you have both,
"search" is used.

--

Arlington, MA

 
 
 

1. How can I setup my DNS when my ISP DNS crashes

Running bind 9.1.2 with an internal and an external zone.

Frequently, now days, my ISP's servers crash and my two local
dns servers then fail to provide external name resolution during
those lapses.  My WWW/FTP servers remain visible to the outside,
because I switched to Netsol for my domain's external DNS.
However, I am now blind internally and end up having to go to
tracert.com(/etc/hosts) for manual name resolution...

Question, I do have a "." zone and db.root defined, but no joy.
How do I get bind to feed its cache from the internet root
servers, when my ISP forwarders are down???

TIA
tonyb

--
  __      __  _     I N C.               http://www.sysdev.org

\__ \ \/\__ \||)|/ O_)\/ /        \/  System Tools / Utilities
|___/ || ___/|_ /\___|\_/        WIntel / Linux Device Drivers

2. *** updatedb ***

3. DNS/named/dns database setup step?

4. networ problem

5. Help!!!How to setup DNS of Solaris 7????

6. Modem is "busy"

7. How to setup Solaris 7 for DNS only

8. Lesstif (mwm) can't load library 'libXm.so.0'

9. How to setup Solaris DNS Server

10. DNS setup on Sparc SOLARIS 7

11. How to setup Solaris 2.6 as a DNS Client

12. Pl Help: DNS server setup Solaris 2.7

13. gateway and DNS setup on solaris 2.6