Help a Newbie with a new system

Post by rpar.. » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I just got a box with Solaris 2.6 I am physically
connected to the network, but I am not able to to
set a good IP schema to communicate outside the
machine (I only see lo0 set up as a loopback
device and when I try to change that, oh, well,
it just does not work).  After reading the man
pages I am even worse - what is le and how do I
install one as le1 or le0?

Any help and assistance would be greatly
apprecited!

Trying to escape from NT,

-R!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Help a Newbie with a new system

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I just got a box with Solaris 2.6 I am physically
> connected to the network, but I am not able to to
> set a good IP schema to communicate outside the
> machine (I only see lo0 set up as a loopback
> device and when I try to change that, oh, well,

The loopback address shouldn't be changed.

Quote:> it just does not work).  After reading the man
> pages I am even worse - what is le and how do I
> install one as le1 or le0?

What machine do you have?

le is the Lance Ethernet driver, a 10 baseT interface used on the
older Suns.  The easiest way to assign le0 an interface is
to make sure your IP address and hostname appear in /etc/hosts,
and then put your hostname in /etc/hostname.le0.  Once your
machine is rebooted, the interface will be set up!

See the ifconfig man page for more details; unlike NT, it is
possible on UNIX to set up an network interface without rebooting
your machine.

Quote:> Trying to escape from NT,

Best of luck!

--
Rich Teer

NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails - miserably.

The use of Windoze cripples the mind; its use should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offence.  (With apologies to Edsger W. Dijkstra)

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Voice: +1 (250) 763-6205
WWW: www.rite-group.com

Help a Newbie with a new system

Post by rpar.. » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Thanks!!!

The machine is an enterprise 250 - or at least that is what it says on
the front.

-R!

> > I just got a box with Solaris 2.6 I am physically
> > connected to the network, but I am not able to to
> > set a good IP schema to communicate outside the
> > machine (I only see lo0 set up as a loopback
> > device and when I try to change that, oh, well,

> The loopback address shouldn't be changed.

> > it just does not work).  After reading the man
> > pages I am even worse - what is le and how do I
> > install one as le1 or le0?

> What machine do you have?

> le is the Lance Ethernet driver, a 10 baseT interface used on the
> older Suns.  The easiest way to assign le0 an interface is
> to make sure your IP address and hostname appear in /etc/hosts,
> and then put your hostname in /etc/hostname.le0.  Once your
> machine is rebooted, the interface will be set up!

> See the ifconfig man page for more details; unlike NT, it is
> possible on UNIX to set up an network interface without rebooting
> your machine.

> > Trying to escape from NT,

> Best of luck!

> --
> Rich Teer

> NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails - miserably.

> The use of Windoze cripples the mind; its use should, therefore, be
> regarded as a criminal offence.  (With apologies to Edsger W.
Dijkstra)

> If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

> Voice: +1 (250) 763-6205
> WWW: www.rite-group.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Help a Newbie with a new system

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Thanks!!!

> The machine is an enterprise 250 - or at least that is what it says on
> the front.

Right; in that case, your Ethernet interface will be called hme0, not
le0.  hme actually stands for Happy Meal Ethernet!  :-)

Apart from changing the filename (to /etc/hostname.hme0), the advice
in my last posting should be OK.

--

Post by Norman H.Tacket » Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I just got a box with Solaris 2.6 I am physically
> connected to the network, but I am not able to to
> set a good IP schema to communicate outside the
> machine (I only see lo0 set up as a loopback
> device and when I try to change that, oh, well,
> it just does not work).  After reading the man
> pages I am even worse - what is le and how do I
> install one as le1 or le0?

> Any help and assistance would be greatly
> apprecited!

> Trying to escape from NT,

> -R!

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

If you know the IP address, netmask and hostname,
the easiest/expedient way would be to run sysunconfig as
root. This will blow away your current (I am assuming
wrong) configuration. Boot the box. When it comes up,
it will prompt you for the network info. You can enter
it then and the system will configure itself.

To configure it manually you need to have a little more knowledge.
First you need to know what kind of ethernet card you
have. Old machines will have a le (lance ethernet) card.
The man page example is really dated and hardware specific.
The le0, le1, ... are the various instances of this
type of card. If it is a more recent box, Ultra 5,
for example, it should have an hme type port.

ifconfig hme0 plumb
ifconfig hme0 inet 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast + up
(this of course is an example and will need to be modified
to fit your environment).

If you have the Answerbook CD, I would install that
and read through that.

Help a Newbie with a new system

Post by Joe Durusa » Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:00:00

        You need to talk to your network administrator, who
will assign an IP address and tell you the rest of the info.
Otherwise, you will*up the network.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

> I just got a box with Solaris 2.6 I am physically
> connected to the network, but I am not able to to
> set a good IP schema to communicate outside the
> machine (I only see lo0 set up as a loopback
> device and when I try to change that, oh, well,
> it just does not work).  After reading the man
> pages I am even worse - what is le and how do I
> install one as le1 or le0?

> Any help and assistance would be greatly
> apprecited!

> Trying to escape from NT,

> -R!

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Before you buy.

Help a Newbie with a new system

Post by rpar.. » Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Thanks!!!  Unfortunately, I am the sys admin . . .

-R!

>    You need to talk to your network administrator, who
> will assign an IP address and tell you the rest of the info.
> Otherwise, you will*up the network.

> Speaking only for myself,

> Joe Durusau

> > I just got a box with Solaris 2.6 I am physically
> > connected to the network, but I am not able to to
> > set a good IP schema to communicate outside the
> > machine (I only see lo0 set up as a loopback
> > device and when I try to change that, oh, well,
> > it just does not work).  After reading the man
> > pages I am even worse - what is le and how do I
> > install one as le1 or le0?

> > Any help and assistance would be greatly
> > apprecited!

> > Trying to escape from NT,

> > -R!

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> > Before you buy.

Before you buy.

Help a Newbie with a new system

Post by Joe Durusa » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00

        I understand that you are the sys admin.
It is the NETWORK admin who assigns IP addresses.  Assuming that
you are going to be on a network attached to the internet, there
will be a set of IP addresses available, and someone has to keep
track of who uses which.  If you are talking about a completely
private network with no outside connections, then there are several
sets of standard addresses that you can use.  I don't remember the
details, but you could try a search for non-routable addresses as
a start.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

Post by Rich Tee » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> sets of standard addresses that you can use.  I don't remember the
> details, but you could try a search for non-routable addresses as
> a start.

The details can be found in RFC 1918.  I tend to use 192.168.0.x.

--
Rich Teer

NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails - miserably.

The use of Windoze cripples the mind; its use should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offence.  (With apologies to Edsger W. Dijkstra)

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Voice: +1 (250) 763-6205
WWW: www.rite-group.com

1. New with new system: Need help to install

I just got a new system and would very much like it to have
multi boots. I have some software for Linux and see that that
it has a loader (LILO) . Can anyone give me step-by-step set-up
and where I can download newest distribution on Linux.

Below is what my hardware is:

Pentium 133Mhz
32Mb EDO RAM
1.6G Western Digital --IDE
Bus---ISA
BIOS American Megatrends 3-6-95 V1.00.03.BROT
Matrox MGA PCI video card 2Mb
6X Wearnes IDE CD-ROM---IDE(ATAPI rev. 1.2)
Epson Stylus color II printer
Ensoniq Sound Wavetable sound card
Telepath 28.8 FAX modem
Microsoft mouse PS/2

Is there any other information I need?

Also I am running win95 on system and would like multi-boot

I've tried to install on CD-ROM but did not have IDE support
for CD-ROM. Can I download complete OS from somewhere?

Please help.

P.S. Please repost ASAP because I want to install before I
load anymore software on system so it will not take years for
all the install.

2. unix file over to windows format

3. HELP HELP HELP: my new SCSI HD locks my system (QUANTUM FIREBALL TM 2110S - AHA1740A)

4. Robot Developer Kit supports Linux

5. help: transferingthe system to a new comp with new hardware

6. ?MoL clock differs one hr from real MacOS and GNOME desktop?

7. Help loading btld after system recovery on new system

8. USB setup

9. Newbie Q: Can't FTP to new RH7.2 System

10. Help, I am a new user {newbie}

11. New help for Linux Newbies and wannabies

12. Please help me in installing new hard disk (newbie question)

13. Brand New Newbie Needs Help Getting Started.