Newbie seeks help with Netra T1 AC200

Post by Michae » Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:03:00

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to Sun equipment and I just brought a second hand Netra
T1 with view of learning more Solaris.  It has 1gig of memory and
2*16gig HD.

However, I'm having a lot of problem trying to erase the old setup and
load a flesh copy of the OS.  When I plug power to the system it
automatically attempts to boot.  It finally gets to the points where
the following text are shown.  I do not have the original ROOT
password non does the seller.  What can I do ?  I'm actually wondering
of the unit is faulty or if my disk/cdrom are bad.

Please help - see below for a section of the bootup message.

ttya initialized
Reset Control: BXIR:0 BPOR:0 SXIR:0 SPOR:1 POR:0
Probing upa at 1f,0 pci pci pci
Probing upa at 0,0 SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIe SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIe (256 Kb)

   idprom motherboard-fru fan-control
lomp
Probing Memory Bank #0 512 Megabytes
Probing Memory Bank #1 512 Megabytes
Probing Memory Bank #2   0 Megabytes
Probing Memory Bank #3   0 Megabytes

Netra T1 200 (UltraSPARC-IIe 500MHz), No Keyboard
OpenBoot 4.0, 1024 MB memory installed, Serial #50729924.
Ethernet address 0:3:ba:6:13:c4, Host ID: 830613c4.

Environment monitoring: disabled

Boot device: disk  File and args:
FCode UFS Reader 1.11 97/07/10 16:19:15.
SunOS Release 5.8 Version Generic_108528-14 64-bit
Copyright 1983-2001 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
WARNING: forceload of misc/md_trans failed
WARNING: forceload of misc/md_raid failed
WARNING: forceload of misc/md_hotspares failed
configuring IPv4 interfaces: eri0.
Hostname: melbwiseo1
metainit: melbwiseo1: stale databases

Insufficient metadevice database replicas located.

Use metadb to delete databases which are broken.
Ignore any "Read-only file system" error messages.
Reboot the system when finished to reload the metadevice database.
After reboot, repair any broken database replicas which were deleted.

Type control-d to proceed with normal startup,
(or give root password for system maintenance): Resuming system
initialization.
Metadevice database will remain stale.
/dev/md/dsk/d1: Read-only file system
mount: /dev/md/dsk/d4 write-protected
mount: mount-point /var/run does not exist.

INIT: Cannot create /var/adm/utmpx

INIT: failed write of utmpx entry:"  "

INIT: failed write of utmpx entry:"  "

INIT: SINGLE USER MODE

Type control-d to proceed with normal startup,
(or give root password for system maintenance):

Thanks in Advance,
Michael.

Newbie seeks help with Netra T1 AC200

Post by Griffith Jone » Sat, 28 Aug 2004 01:12:46

Michael:

Not familiar with Netra T1 hardware.

Normal procedure would be to hit stop+a during the boot.    This will put
you in the OpenBoot environment.  The prompt will be "ok".
At this point, assuming you have the Solaris installation cd in the drive,
type "boot cdrom".

Good luck ...

Post by Michae » Sat, 28 Aug 2004 07:26:39

> Hi All,

> I'm a newbie to Sun equipment and I just brought a second hand Netra
> T1 with view of learning more Solaris.  It has 1gig of memory and
> 2*16gig HD.

> However, I'm having a lot of problem trying to erase the old setup and
> load a flesh copy of the OS.  When I plug power to the system it
> automatically attempts to boot.  It finally gets to the points where
> the following text are shown.  I do not have the original ROOT
> password non does the seller.  What can I do ?  I'm actually wondering
> of the unit is faulty or if my disk/cdrom are bad.

> Please help - see below for a section of the bootup message.

> ttya initialized
> Reset Control: BXIR:0 BPOR:0 SXIR:0 SPOR:1 POR:0
> Probing upa at 1f,0 pci pci pci
> Probing upa at 0,0 SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIe SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIe (256 Kb)

>    idprom motherboard-fru fan-control
> lomp
> Probing Memory Bank #0 512 Megabytes
> Probing Memory Bank #1 512 Megabytes
> Probing Memory Bank #2   0 Megabytes
> Probing Memory Bank #3   0 Megabytes

> Netra T1 200 (UltraSPARC-IIe 500MHz), No Keyboard
> OpenBoot 4.0, 1024 MB memory installed, Serial #50729924.
> Ethernet address 0:3:ba:6:13:c4, Host ID: 830613c4.

> Environment monitoring: disabled

> Boot device: disk  File and args:
> FCode UFS Reader 1.11 97/07/10 16:19:15.
> SunOS Release 5.8 Version Generic_108528-14 64-bit
> Copyright 1983-2001 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
> WARNING: forceload of misc/md_trans failed
> WARNING: forceload of misc/md_raid failed
> WARNING: forceload of misc/md_hotspares failed
> configuring IPv4 interfaces: eri0.
> Hostname: melbwiseo1
> metainit: melbwiseo1: stale databases

> Insufficient metadevice database replicas located.

> Use metadb to delete databases which are broken.
> Ignore any "Read-only file system" error messages.
> Reboot the system when finished to reload the metadevice database.
> After reboot, repair any broken database replicas which were deleted.

> Type control-d to proceed with normal startup,
> (or give root password for system maintenance): Resuming system
> initialization.
> Metadevice database will remain stale.
> /dev/md/dsk/d1: Read-only file system
> mount: /dev/md/dsk/d4 write-protected
> mount: mount-point /var/run does not exist.

> INIT: Cannot create /var/adm/utmpx

> INIT: failed write of utmpx entry:"  "

> INIT: failed write of utmpx entry:"  "

> INIT: SINGLE USER MODE

> Type control-d to proceed with normal startup,
> (or give root password for system maintenance):

> Thanks in Advance,
> Michael.

Finally worked it out.  Hit # and then . to enter into the LOM and
then the OK prompt.  Booted from CDROM and installed OS fine.

I still like to know if it is possible at the LOM/OK prompt that I can
list all Disk devices. Tried probe-scsi but returned nothing.

Cheers,
Michael.

Newbie seeks help with Netra T1 AC200

Post by Griffith Jone » Sat, 28 Aug 2004 07:48:30

Michael:

"prob-scsi" is an OpenBoot command ("ok" prompt), not available from -lom.
Quick way to check which disk devices have been identified is to type
"format" from a solaris shell.   The physical device names of known disks
will be listed.

Good luck ...

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:20:26

> Finally worked it out.  Hit # and then . to enter into the LOM and
> then the OK prompt.  Booted from CDROM and installed OS fine.
> I still like to know if it is possible at the LOM/OK prompt that I can
> list all Disk devices. Tried probe-scsi but returned nothing.

probe-scsi-all will only show scsi disks.  You will probably want either

probe-ide  or
show-disks

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

Post by Roger P. Johnso » Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:03:57

> [...]

>>(or give root password for system maintenance): Resuming system
>>initialization.
>>Metadevice database will remain stale.
>>/dev/md/dsk/d1: Read-only file system
>>mount: /dev/md/dsk/d4 write-protected
>>mount: mount-point /var/run does not exist.

>>INIT: Cannot create /var/adm/utmpx

>>INIT: failed write of utmpx entry:"  "

>>INIT: failed write of utmpx entry:"  "

>>INIT: SINGLE USER MODE

>>Type control-d to proceed with normal startup,
>>(or give root password for system maintenance):

>>Thanks in Advance,
>>Michael.

> Finally worked it out.  Hit # and then . to enter into the LOM and
> then the OK prompt.  Booted from CDROM and installed OS fine.

> I still like to know if it is possible at the LOM/OK prompt that I can
> list all Disk devices. Tried probe-scsi but returned nothing.

The T1 AC200 is a nice little box. I like them also. I have also bought
a bunch used over time.

Being that it is a used system, I would reset your OBP to factory
defaults. Then I would recommend that you apply the following patches to
your AC200:
110208-18 LOM2 flash update to version 3.13 (IIRC)
112140-03 LOM2 flash patch (fixes a false alarm on overheat)
111991-07 OBP (Open Boot Prom) flash to version 4.0.17

Since you already installed Solaris, you have to manually add the
LOMLite software from the additinal installation CD-ROMS. Look for the
"Lights Out Managment" on the last CDROM, IIRC.

AC200's with LOM2 versions less than 3.10 I have found can be buggy
trying to do a control-break to get to the OBP "ok" prompt when the
console is a Wyse 55/60 dumb terminal, or via kermit. Or, if I enter the
lom characters "#." to get to the lom, the lom is unresponsive; no
echoing of your command, nothing. The LOM device would just ignore you.

Doing the LOM2 flash upgrades fixed all that and I'm sure many more.

Enjoy!

Newbie seeks help with Netra T1 AC200

Post by Michae » Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:54:35

Quote:

> The T1 AC200 is a nice little box. I like them also. I have also bought
> a bunch used over time.

> Being that it is a used system, I would reset your OBP to factory
> defaults. Then I would recommend that you apply the following patches to
> your AC200:
> 110208-18 LOM2 flash update to version 3.13 (IIRC)
> 112140-03 LOM2 flash patch (fixes a false alarm on overheat)
> 111991-07 OBP (Open Boot Prom) flash to version 4.0.17

> Since you already installed Solaris, you have to manually add the
> LOMLite software from the additinal installation CD-ROMS. Look for the
> "Lights Out Managment" on the last CDROM, IIRC.

> AC200's with LOM2 versions less than 3.10 I have found can be buggy
> trying to do a control-break to get to the OBP "ok" prompt when the
> console is a Wyse 55/60 dumb terminal, or via kermit. Or, if I enter the
> lom characters "#." to get to the lom, the lom is unresponsive; no
> echoing of your command, nothing. The LOM device would just ignore you.

> Doing the LOM2 flash upgrades fixed all that and I'm sure many more.

> Enjoy!

Thanks all for your advise.  I finally able to test the disks and
confirm all is well.  I even got a fresh copy of the OS loaded :-).

Great little server, though I have to find out this strange Alarm3
problem.  May need an LOM upgrade.

Thanks,
Michael.

1. Can the Netra t1 AC200 take four 512 MB DIMMs for 2 GB RAM?

I realize that Sun only certified it for 1 GB of RAM, but that model has
not been sold in a few years. So I don't really care about hardware
support.

I'm just more curious if it has worked for anyone with 4 512 MB DIMMs?

I saw Kingston 512 MB DIMMs for the AC200 being sold, so I figure it can
take 512 MB DIMMs but I'm not sure if I can use only 2 DIMMs in or if I
can do it with 4.

-Dan

2. Where can find the module programming guide for linux 2.4 or later?

3. Solaris9 or Express on Netra t1 AC200

4. Legal Message

5. LVD/SE, A1000 and netra t1 AC200

6. Command grouping meta-characters in Korn Shell.

7. Installing Netra T1 AC200

8. open ssl

9. Solaris 8 on Netra T1 AC200

10. sunOS5.8 install sux on netra T1 AC200

11. Netra T1 AC200

12. Netra T1 AC200 becomes unreachable

13. Interesting specs on the Netra T1 AC200