dumb question about DVD-ROM drive

Post by maxwell.. » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 05:03:38

We recently were given a DVD-ROM drive to use on an NT system
(external SCSI).  I know little about DVD-ROM drives.  I do know
that Solaris 8 has support for the Universal Disk Format (UDF)
which a DVD media uses.  My question is..If I have writable
media for the DVD-ROM, do I still need to obtain and use
cdrecord to write to it, or can I simply mount the device
that corresponds to the DVD-ROM and then write to it like
I would a floppy.  Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

dumb question about DVD-ROM drive

Post by Stefaan A Eecke » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 05:47:14

Quote:> We recently were given a DVD-ROM drive to use on an NT system
> (external SCSI).  I know little about DVD-ROM drives.  I do know
> that Solaris 8 has support for the Universal Disk Format (UDF)
> which a DVD media uses.  My question is..If I have writable
> media for the DVD-ROM, do I still need to obtain and use
> cdrecord to write to it, or can I simply mount the device
> that corresponds to the DVD-ROM and then write to it like
> I would a floppy.  Sorry if this is a stupid question.

If it's a DVD-ROM, then you can't put writable media in
it, and hope it'll work by magic.
Now if it's a DVD-RAM drive, then you have the option of
putting in a CD, a DVD, a PD, or a DVD-RAM disk. In the
latter two cases, the drive uses a different LUN to indicate
the writable aspect of the drive.

The Solaris sd driver is LUN-aware, and should have no
problems with a DVD-RAM (I know it has no problems with
the PD drive, the ancestor of DVD-RAM).

Take care,

--
Stefaan
--

dumb question about DVD-ROM drive

Post by David Michael » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 05:52:25

I think you should stick with cdrecord try cdrecord -scanbus to see if
the program recognizes your drive and use mkisofs, witch I think comes
with cdrecord, theirs some graphical front ends for these programs that
make them way easier to use you can find links to them on the cdrecord
homepage. I like x-cd-roast. I am assuming of course that this drive is
a cdr as well as dvd
It sounds like a pretty neat drive good luck
dave

> We recently were given a DVD-ROM drive to use on an NT system
> (external SCSI).  I know little about DVD-ROM drives.  I do know
> that Solaris 8 has support for the Universal Disk Format (UDF)
> which a DVD media uses.  My question is..If I have writable
> media for the DVD-ROM, do I still need to obtain and use
> cdrecord to write to it, or can I simply mount the device
> that corresponds to the DVD-ROM and then write to it like
> I would a floppy.  Sorry if this is a stupid question.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

dumb question about DVD-ROM drive

Post by maxwell.. » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 10:05:52

I know nothing about the drive other than it is a Lacie external SCSI
DVD drive (don't know if it's ROM or RAM) and the guy who
ordered them for us got a bunch of writable media (4.7GB??)
for it and intended it for use on an NT workstation.

I'll take a look more closely at it..

Thanks to both of you for the answers

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

dumb question about DVD-ROM drive

Post by Shamrajp » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 14:23:14

Quote:>The Solaris sd driver is LUN-aware, and should have no
>problems with a DVD-RAM (I know it has no problems with
>the PD drive, the ancestor of DVD-RAM).

Solaris sd driver on SPARC does not have DVD-RAM support (yet).
The File system/OS understand 512 byte blocks while the DVD RAM has 2048 as the
block size. There is support for 2K block read, but not for write at present.

-Rajpal

dumb question about DVD-ROM drive

Post by Kenneth Simpso » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 14:45:49

Hi - see cdrecord and documentation for the 2Kbyte block SCSI
drivers 'scg'.

-- Ken

> > Now if it's a DVD-RAM drive, then you have the option of
> > putting in a CD, a DVD, a PD, or a DVD-RAM disk. In the
> > latter two cases, the drive uses a different LUN to indicate
> > the writable aspect of the drive.

> Btw. has anyone actually succeeded using a combination of a DVD-RAM
> drive + Solaris 8 UDF filesystem?  (Most?/all?) DVD-RAM drives use a
> scsi logical block size of 2048bytes/scsi lba and the Solaris udfs
> filesystem fails because it tries to access 512byte blocks.

> It's possible to copy the whole DVD-RAM media to a file using dd with
> a 2k blocksize, attach the file to a lofi device and mount the lofi
> device using udfs, but that's probably not the idea with UDF formatted
> removable media...  ;-)

1. Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

Hi

Does anyone have any idea when/if Sun will support DVD device
drivers in Solaris ?

Does anyone know when the UDF file system will be supported ?

Not just UDF read, but random write to DVD-RAM and variable length
packet and border zone multi-session write to DVD-R.

We had heard rumors that some support would be in Solaris 8, but it
seems difficult to find confirmation of this on Sun's web
sites.

Failing this, does anyone have any experience with 3rd party drivers
like those from Tracer ?

david
--

Director, Medical Imaging Technologies   http://idt.net/~dclunie/
Quintiles Intelligent Imaging             http://www.i2image.com/

2. How to get a ! in prompt??

3. DVD-ROM drive not recognised

4. Adaptec 1640 SCSI, 3Com 3c589b & PCMCIA Problems

5. The risk of high-speed CD/DVD-rom drives in current-day PCs

6. Problem with this Script

7. Problem using creative DVD-ROM drive. Help!

8. X on Solaris 2.3

9. SCSI DVD-ROM drives (as CD)?

10. DVD-ROM drive support?

11. Linux x DVD-ROM drive?