doors in solaris

Post by chik » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Sun was coming up with some light weight rpc called 'doors'.
Does anyone know the current status ?
--
Srikant

doors in solaris

Post by W. Richard Steve » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Sun was coming up with some light weight rpc called 'doors'.
> Does anyone know the current status ?

Shipped but undocumented in 2.5.  Documented in 2.6 ("man -k door").
There was a short description of them at some Sun page, but it got
moved to one of their developer pages (for which there is no cost,
but you do need to register).  I also devote an entire chapter of
"Unix Network Programming, Volume 2: IPC" to doors.  There is also
a Linux implementation underway: http://www.rampant.org/doors/.

        Rich Stevens

doors in solaris

Post by Richard L. Hamilt » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Sun was coming up with some light weight rpc called 'doors'.
> Does anyone know the current status ?

It exists, but isn't really documented, in 2.5.1 (maybe 2.5 too).
It is documented in the man pages in 2.6 (and later).

--
ftp> get |fortune
377 I/O error: smart remark generator failed

Bogonics: the primary language inside the Beltway

1. Solaris 2.5 door interface - how to create .file???

I am trying to setup the smtpd from obtuse.com to block relaying etc.
on our Solaris 2.5 host.
This program would like to have a chroot jail where it can live - it
also likes to do DNS lookups. To make this work one has to copy some
files from /etc into the jail so the program can find them (eg
/etc/netconfig). ok, no problem there.

But it simply fails to work - i.e the gethostbyaddr() call returns
zip. After a lot of poking about, I finally discovered with truss that
it cannot open the file /etc/.name_service_door which is used by the
door facility in Solaris 2.5 to communicate with nscd - see man door
(the joke is I turned off nscd hostname caching, since it seems faster
to just let everything hit the DNS)...

This file is an unknown type and cannot be copied or hard linked. Does
anyone have a clue how I can create it in the chroot jail???

Thanks
John Harper
-----------------------------
Academic Computing Coordinator
University of Toronto at Scarborough

2. cardmgr 3.1.15 & ray_cs 1.70

3. door programming on Solaris

4. Virtual Server vs. Virtual Host

5. Solaris 2.6 has Doors!

6. Does tcdrain() work?

7. Doors on Solaris 2.6

8. Actiontec PCMCIA Card problem

9. Solaris door programming

10. solaris doors

11. Solaris and door calls

12. what is a door in solaris?

13. Doors -- a new file type under Solaris 2.5