new partition help

Post by Andy Gabo » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm not a sys-admin trying to manage my own system and need a little
hand-holding/advise.

Currently my entire operating system is on a single disk all under one
partition '/'. I need to move '/usr' to another disk to get more disk
space.

I know I have to use 'format' to make a new partition on disk.  I need
some advice as to how what steps to go through to make the partition,
move the files to the new partition and get rid of the old '/usr'
directory in an orderly way.  The entire '/' partition is backed-up on
tape.

I know this is basic stuff for sys-admins so maybe there is some
liturature I can read.  Any advice is appreciated.

[env: Sol 7, SS10]

Andy

--
   +---------------------------------+--------------------------------+

   | Department of Neurology         | FAX   - (530)754-5036          |
   | University of California, Davis |                                |
   +---------------------------------+--------------------------------+

1. Create new partition before boot partition on hard drive

I have been happily using Red Hat on a dual boot system with Win95 for over
a couple of years now, but I've never made any changes to the hard drive
partition structure in that time.  I decided that it would be nice to create
a new partition for my Linux configuration (taking away some of my current
Windows FAT32 partition).  Everything is on a single hard drive.  I realize
that by creating a new partition which will be hda2, I will offset my Linux
boot partition by 1 changing it from hda6 to hda7.  I am currently using
LILO for regular booting.

What changes do I need to make to be able to boot Linux after this change?
Should I create another option in lilo.conf for booting from /devb/hda7, run
lilo and then go ahead and make the changes, or is there another option?

Thanks.

Mike

2. Printcap entries for HP LaserJet 2100 TN and 4500 TN ?

3. New man in the Linux world has a partitioning problem: adding Linux as a fourth partition

4. FTP Root?

5. New root partition; other partitions don't automount

6. 2.4 + NIS + shadow passwd

7. Creating a new filesystem in a new partition

8. Memorybird, take two

9. How to loading new file system on a new hard drive partition?

10. Creating a new filesystem in a new partition

11. Help me with adding a new partition

12. HELP - can't partition new disk

13. Newbie wiped out partition on new WD 40GB drive --a little help please