Problems installing SONY Magneto-Optical Disk ( SunOS 5.4 )

Problems installing SONY Magneto-Optical Disk ( SunOS 5.4 )

Post by Torsten Ih » Wed, 20 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Dear fellow netters,

we are experiencing severe difficulties installing a SONY
Magneto-Optical Disk (MOD) on a SparcStation20 running SunOs 5.4.

The MOD is found by "probe-scsi" reporting the correct SCSI Id ( 2 )
and the messages

        REMOVABLE DEVICE TYPE 7
        SONY SMO-F521-01 REV 2.04

However, after boot -r (or % touch /reconfigure; reboot) no entries
are created in the /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk directories.
During booting the device is not found (for fixed disks we get
messages like:

 sd3 at esp0: target 3 lun 0

  <SUN1.05 cyl 2036 alt 2 hd 14 sec 72>

)

According to the hardware provider, the "driver delivered with
Solaris2.4 is capable of dealing with this drive". We already
installed the "sd" driver for dealing with the fixed disk drives.

scsiinfo DOES NOT report the device.

We are quite sure, that the disk is not damaged, since it does work on a PC.

What did we do wrong ?

                                Torsten
Torsten Ihle, Dipl. Inf., TU-Dresden

Es ist deutsch in Kaltland !

Post by Simon Gornal » Wed, 20 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> Dear fellow netters,

> we are experiencing severe difficulties installing a SONY
> Magneto-Optical Disk (MOD) on a SparcStation20 running SunOs 5.4.

I've had exactly the same problems with 5.4. My drive works fine under
Sunos 4.1.4 but I can't get the disk to be recognised under 5.4
:-(

Simon.
--
---------

                           Physicists get Hadrons!

Problems installing SONY Magneto-Optical Disk ( SunOS 5.4 )

Post by Arne Varho » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have also tested a Sony MO disk with Solaris without
success. At last we found that SunSoft don't support
removable media. We are now using HP 1716T which we
have special firmware on so they acts as ordinary
harddisks. But there is probles if you insert a write-
protected disk, and mount it as read-write then the
scsi driver will go into an infinite loop and the
machine have to be turned on and off again. I got
some information from a company in UK which make
MO drivers and CD-Write stuff. If you need it I can
look it up

Arne

Post by Ian Crakantho » Sun, 31 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: Dear fellow netters,

: we are experiencing severe difficulties installing a SONY
: Magneto-Optical Disk (MOD) on a SparcStation20 running SunOs 5.4.

: The MOD is found by "probe-scsi" reporting the correct SCSI Id ( 2 )
: and the messages

:         REMOVABLE DEVICE TYPE 7
:         SONY SMO-F521-01 REV 2.04

I had (have) the same problem with a SONY MO.  I posted to this group
about a month or so ago.  From the info I received

1.  Set the MO device to be a hard disk device rather than type 7.  Other
brands (Than SONY) have a dip switch setting.  A person who responded said
she sent SCSI commands to her device to do this.  However she had a SCSI
manual for her MO which was not SONY.

2.  I was told that Solaris 2.5 may support these drives.  I only got 2.5
yesterday so I have not tested this.

3.  There is a driver.  However it costs about $800 (Australian) about
848 Dmark.  I only have a contact in Australia.

Ian...

--

ANSTO                                        "They call me Crackers"
Australian Nuclear Science                   phone : +61 2 717 3365