Problems browsing the internet - Solaris8 - Netscape 7

Problems browsing the internet - Solaris8 - Netscape 7

Post by JMarti » Mon, 26 May 2003 00:54:50

Can anyone help me connect Solaris 8 to the internet via Netscape 7.

I have a SPARCserver 20, W2K server, and 2 PCs on a home network with a
belkin wireless router connecting to a broadband modem. I can ping all
devices within my network, administer the router via netscape, and even open
sun.com using the IP address from the sparc20. But I can't seem to configure
it to use netscape to browse any internet sites.

I suspected a DNS issue and adjusted my  /etc/defaultrouter,
/etc/rc2.d/Sxxstaticroures, and /etc/resolv.conf  but did not get anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

PS: All other systems are working fine.

Post by Dave Uhrin » Mon, 26 May 2003 02:11:54

> Can anyone help me connect Solaris 8 to the internet via Netscape 7.

> I have a SPARCserver 20, W2K server, and 2 PCs on a home network with a
> belkin wireless router connecting to a broadband modem. I can ping all
> devices within my network, administer the router via netscape, and even open
> sun.com using the IP address from the sparc20. But I can't seem to configure
> it to use netscape to browse any internet sites.

> I suspected a DNS issue and adjusted my  /etc/defaultrouter,
> /etc/rc2.d/Sxxstaticroures, and /etc/resolv.conf  but did not get anywhere.

# cp /etc/nsswitch.dns /etc/nsswitch.conf

Problems browsing the internet - Solaris8 - Netscape 7

Post by Bill Marcu » Mon, 26 May 2003 12:06:26

On Sat, 24 May 2003 15:54:50 GMT, JMartin

> Can anyone help me connect Solaris 8 to the internet via Netscape 7.

> I have a SPARCserver 20, W2K server, and 2 PCs on a home network with a
> belkin wireless router connecting to a broadband modem. I can ping all
> devices within my network, administer the router via netscape, and even open
> sun.com using the IP address from the sparc20. But I can't seem to configure
> it to use netscape to browse any internet sites.

> I suspected a DNS issue and adjusted my  /etc/defaultrouter,
> /etc/rc2.d/Sxxstaticroures, and /etc/resolv.conf  but did not get anywhere.

What do you mean by "did not get anywhere"?  Were you even able to ping any
sites by name?  What is in your /etc/resolv.conf?

--
This place is called Antarctica. There is no kitten here.

1. Unable to Browse Internet with Netscape

I am having some trouble trying to get my internet connection working. I
have been able to connect to my ISP O.K. and I get allocated a TCP address
but I am unable to use Netscape to do any browsing. I type in an URL and it
does nothing until timing out. I have looked in the message logs and I see a
regular message No link beat on the MII interface, status then 7809 now
7809. I am using Red Hat 5.2 and Netscape 4.07 and I have checked that the
DNS is correct. My ISP does not use a proxy and they are unable to support
Linux. As I am new to Linux any ideas would be appreciated.

Patrick

2. MTRR Problems - 2.4.19-rc3

3. Dell Inspiron 5100 - Grub and the vga=xxx parameter

4. Configuring Solaris 8 and Netscape to browse the internet

5. network interface monitoring: cisco like

6. Weird network/internet browsing problem

7. A better Unix configuration management system?

8. A weired problem whle browsing UTF-8 enabled page on Netscape

9. Problem browsing past my isp domain using netscape

10. Switching between Intranet and Internet browsing.

11. It's possible to share an internet modem acces with Solaris8?

12. Slow responce on Internet browsing