Keybaord not work at CDE login screen

Keybaord not work at CDE login screen

Post by tony gri » Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:20:14



Hi All,

I have an Ultra 10 running release 8, and the console keyboard has
stopped working in the login screen.

It works fine in command mode, booting etc  but once I get to the
desktop login, the keystokes do not get to the login field.  The mouse
works so I can try different options and ensure the login field is
highlighted to accept text.

If I click on the start over button, it repaints the screen but there
is no change.  I have rebooted the box several times with no change.

I can still login with telnet over tcp/ip.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

regards
Tony

 
 
 

Keybaord not work at CDE login screen

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Thu, 20 Sep 2001 01:17:37



> I have an Ultra 10 running release 8, and the console keyboard has
> stopped working in the login screen.
> It works fine in command mode, booting etc  but once I get to the
> desktop login, the keystokes do not get to the login field.  The mouse
> works so I can try different options and ensure the login field is
> highlighted to accept text.

Truly mysterious. My first guess is that it probably has nothing to do with
the keyboard, and is probably a software or network service related problem.

Quote:> If I click on the start over button, it repaints the screen but there
> is no change.  I have rebooted the box several times with no change.

As you've probably discovered, rebooting rarely, if ever, solves problems on a
Sun workstation. Get that Microsoft-induced idea out of your head IMMEDIATELY.

Try installing the latest patch cluster.

 
 
 

Keybaord not work at CDE login screen

Post by David Pe » Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:48:06


Hi, tony,

i met the same kind problem before and no rational solution was got.

The machine here is Ultra60 with solaris 8. When they are installed
with solaris 6, no curious things happen. Their symptom is just like
your ultra 10.

It seems something wrong with .cshrc/.dt, try to delete all .dt
directory and keep as less as neccessary for .cshrc. the symptom may
disappear.

If u figure out the very reason of the problem, pls inform me.

Regards,

David


> Hi All,

> I have an Ultra 10 running release 8, and the console keyboard has
> stopped working in the login screen.

> It works fine in command mode, booting etc  but once I get to the
> desktop login, the keystokes do not get to the login field.  The mouse
> works so I can try different options and ensure the login field is
> highlighted to accept text.

> If I click on the start over button, it repaints the screen but there
> is no change.  I have rebooted the box several times with no change.

> I can still login with telnet over tcp/ip.

> Any suggestions gratefully received.

> regards
> Tony

 
 
 

1. CDE/1.2 (Solaris/2.6) vs CDE/1.0.2 (Solaris/2.5.1) -- Login-Screen Question

Shalom!

Under CDE/1.0.2 (Solaris/2.5.1), the Dtlogin screen gives me the following
session choices:

        Regular Desktop  [default]
        Common Desktop Environment (CDE)
        Openwindows Desktop
        User's Last Desktop
        Failsafe Session

However, under CDE/1.2 (Solaris/2.6), the Dtlogin screen only gives me these
session choices:

        Common Desktop Environment (CDE)  [default]
        Openwindows Desktop
        User's Last Desktop
        Failsafe Session

We need the "Regular Desktop" session back -- what to do? (and, does anyone
know why it's gone missing?)

Thanks in advance!

--
JONATHAN B. HOREN                       ENGINEERING COMPUTING SERVICES
(727) 530-8013 [phone]                            Paradyne Corporation
(727) 532-5216 [fax]                                          POB 2826

2. Mapping a "Front" key?

3. CDE remote login not working?

4. free linux

5. How to abort CDE using keybaord??

6. URLs & Browsers: "html" suffix - to use or not to use? MIE vs NSCP

7. cde login does not read .login Solaris 2.5.1

8. Linux Swap

9. Keyboard does not work in login screen. - urgent

10. Login manager does not display login screen

11. Telnet login screen looks different then login screen on box

12. kde login screen instead of gnome login screen

13. Keyboard hangs at CDE login screen.