any third party network card needed

Post by Fryder » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have a Sun running Solaris 2.6 and I want to use it as firewall so I
need a second ethernet card. At Sun they told me I can use only card that
are made by Sun and they are extremly expensive. Are there any others card
(3com SCM D-Link?) which are sold with drivers for Solaris????

Fryderyk Wlostowski

any third party network card needed

Post by Andrew Gabri » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a Sun running Solaris 2.6 and I want to use it as firewall so I
>need a second ethernet card. At Sun they told me I can use only card that
>are made by Sun and they are extremly expensive. Are there any others card
>(3com SCM D-Link?) which are sold with drivers for Solaris????

If you didn't already have the machine, I would suggest
that Solaris x86 would be perfectly OK for this sort of
application, subject to whatever firewall software you
want being available. I am running IP-filter on Solaris
x86 OK. PC hardware is fine for this, and you could even
use cheap IDE discs, ethernet cards, etc, as performance
is probably not an issue.

Actually, you could probably pick up a suitable machine
which some Windows user's software has outgrown for less
than the cost of a Sun ethernet card. Any obsolete
bottom-end pentium with 32Mb RAM (64Mb better) would
do the job.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer