sunos4 and nis groups not working

Post by Lex Ludem » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I know this is probably the wrong newsgroup but i couldn't find a
sunos specific group.

Here is the behavior i see:

        sysadmin wheel orion

        aludeman : wheel sysadmin test(gid=22)

        uid=1009(aludeman) gid=1000(sysadmin)
          groups=1000(sysadmin),0(wheel),30(orion)

The wheel group is local.  The rest are in the nis map.  The nis
server is running 2.6.  I'm not sure if it's been patched or not, but
this problem does not exist on solaris machines.

lasvegas always thinks i'm in group 30 whether or not I'm actually in the
nis group.  If i add myself into other nis groups they do not show up
upon login, but if i run the 'groups aludeman' all groups are listed.
Local groups additions do work.

The more I think about this, the more i think there's a patch for this
bug.  lasvegas is 4.1.4.

any tips/pointers, send them my way.

thanks,
Lex

Post by Peter Ben » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>I know this is probably the wrong newsgroup but i couldn't find a
>sunos specific group.

>[snip]

>lasvegas always thinks i'm in group 30 whether or not I'm actually in the
>nis group.  If i add myself into other nis groups they do not show up
>upon login, but if i run the 'groups aludeman' all groups are listed.
>Local groups additions do work.

The group list is stored in several places:

1) The master groups file, which is read by YP's makefile.
   This _may_ be /etc/groups, but is not required to be.
2) The dbm files for group.byname created by YP's makefile.
   This is what you see when you do 'ypcat group.byname'.
3) The cached copy of group.byname in ypserv. [*]
   This is what you see when you do 'ypmatch group.byname' or getgrnam().
4) The dbm files for group.byuid created by YP's makefile.
   This is what you see when you do 'ypcat group.byuid.
5) The cached copy of group.byuid in ypserv.
   This is what you see when you do 'ypmatch group.bygid or getgrgid().
6) The dbm files for netid.byname.
   This is what you see when you do 'ypcat netid.byname'.
7) The cached copy of netid.byname in ypserv.
   This is what you see when you do 'ypmatch netid.bynmame' or initgroups().
(It's a SunOS4 system, so there's no nscd.)

[*] I'm not sure if it's actually cached or if ypserv is keeping an
open filedescriptor on the dbm files, but the effect is the same -
ypcat can give different results to ypmatch. This design can lead to
problems that are quite hard to diagnose.

In this case, I'd hazard a guess that your /var/yp/Makefile is broken
in some way and is not rebuilding the netid map. Re-make the maps and
pay attention to any errors.

Peter

sunos4 and nis groups not working

Post by arborwe.. » Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:00:00

NIS on Sunos requires that you put a    +:*:*    line at the end of the group
file so that the system knows to look at the group map. In solaris, this is
avoided by a file called /etc/nsswitch.conf.

> I know this is probably the wrong newsgroup but i couldn't find a
> sunos specific group.

> Here is the behavior i see:

>         sysadmin wheel orion

>         aludeman : wheel sysadmin test(gid=22)

>         uid=1009(aludeman) gid=1000(sysadmin)
>           groups=1000(sysadmin),0(wheel),30(orion)

> The wheel group is local.  The rest are in the nis map.  The nis
> server is running 2.6.  I'm not sure if it's been patched or not, but
> this problem does not exist on solaris machines.

> lasvegas always thinks i'm in group 30 whether or not I'm actually in the
> nis group.  If i add myself into other nis groups they do not show up
> upon login, but if i run the 'groups aludeman' all groups are listed.
> Local groups additions do work.

> The more I think about this, the more i think there's a patch for this
> bug.  lasvegas is 4.1.4.

> any tips/pointers, send them my way.

> thanks,
> Lex

1. Groups gone on NIS+, not on NIS

Hi,

We have a NIS+ server servicing a bunch of NIS-clients. On the NIS+
server (and our very few NIS+ clients), it seems like the
group-information is gone, while it exists perfectly all-right on the
NIS clients. The weird thing is, however, that the groups and
passwd-information is defined on the NIS+ server.

If, for example, we have a user called 'abc' and I run the command
'groups abc' on the NIS+ server, I only get 'abc' as output, whereas I
get 'abc, group1, group2' (for all the groups that the user is a member
of) if I run the exact same command on a NIS client being services by
the NIS+ server.

All machines have DES-credentials, and nsswitch.conf is defined to look
up users in nis or nisplus respectively.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    Thorfinn

2. How can C process URL?

3. NIS Where I can find info (NIS not working)

4. Dual Athlon MP 1900+ on MSI K7D Master-L

5. Would NIS+ master work with NIS+ & NIS Slave?????????

6. WinModems

7. groups cmd doesn't work w/NIS+???

8. running an NNTP program from crontab

9. group doesn't work under NIS+? (2.3)

10. secondary groups don't work with nis+

11. NIS exporting users but not groups ... ?

12. AIX 4.1.3.0 not showing all group membership with NIS

13. Diff. between SunOS4.1.3_U1 and SunOS4.1.3_U1 VB