Concatenating two contiguous ufs partitions?

Concatenating two contiguous ufs partitions?

Post by Daniel Gaudre » Tue, 06 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I have recently upgraded to Solaris 2.5, and everything seems
to work right yet :) However, my /usr (s6) partition has been filled
up to 100% by the upgrade. I have a contiguous an unused
partition (s7) on this disk: is it possible to add this disk space
to the /usr partition using the "format" utility?

thanks for your suggestions,

Daniel Gaudreau

--
+-------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Daniel Gaudreau ing. jr | Centre de recherche informatique de    |

+-------------------------+----------------------------------------+

Post by Andrey S Ryzho » Thu, 08 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>I have recently upgraded to Solaris 2.5, and everything seems
>to work right yet :) However, my /usr (s6) partition has been filled
>up to 100% by the upgrade. I have a contiguous an unused
>partition (s7) on this disk: is it possible to add this disk space
>to the /usr partition using the "format" utility?

To the best of my knowledge, it's not possible.

Wha I normally do in such situations:

boot from CD,
mount the usr partition
do a full backup of it
unmount
re-arrange slices (concatenate s6 and s7), label the disk
newfs
mount
restore

--
                                        |        .___.
            Andrei S. Ryzhov          \         /__   \
            Tech. Supp. Engr         - ( )         \   |==============
              Sun Service             /          __/   .______________
                Russia                  |        \.__./

Post by Tom Morni » Wed, 14 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: I have recently upgraded to Solaris 2.5, and everything seems
: to work right yet :) However, my /usr (s6) partition has been filled
: up to 100% by the upgrade. I have a contiguous an unused
: partition (s7) on this disk: is it possible to add this disk space
: to the /usr partition using the "format" utility?

Online DiskSuite allows you to do this in about 2 minutes...

If you have Solaris 2.5 server edition, you already have DiskSuite. :-)

-- Tom Mornini
-- InfoMania

Post by Davin Mil » Wed, 28 Feb 1996 04:00:00

?
?I have recently upgraded to Solaris 2.5, and everything seems
?to work right yet :) However, my /usr (s6) partition has been filled
?up to 100% by the upgrade. I have a contiguous an unused
?partition (s7) on this disk: is it possible to add this disk space
?to the /usr partition using the "format" utility?

I have never tried this, but have the following article saved away:

|Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
|Subject: Re: can you grow a filesystem in 2.x?
|Date: 14 Nov 1995 23:56:30 +0100
|
|>I'm attempting to expand a partition from 3gigs to 4gigs.  Is there a
|>way to grow this partition without laying down a totally new filesystem
|>and hosing my data?
|
|Yes - if you have Online:DiskSuite use the growfs script (it'll work
|on any ufs filesystem), if you don't, you have to do it manually.
|
|To grow a ufs filesystem would do the following:
|
|/usr/lib/fs/ufs/mkfs -G /dev/rdsk/slice_to_grow size_in_blocks
|
|(Note - you have to use the ufs-specific mkfs-command, and the -G option
|is undocumented as far as I can tell)
|
|You can get the size of the slice with devinfo. If you used any extra
|options when you mkfs:ed (or newfs:ed) the filesystem you should
|probably include those too. It's also possible to grow a mounted
|filesystem by adding -M /path/to/mountpoint though I wouldn't
|recommend it.
|
|No guarantees that it'll work...
|
|Good luck,
|/Anders

|--
| -- Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

|System administrator at DjungelData                 | Fax: +46 31 772 3202
|Chalmers University of Technology, G|teborg, Sweden | Tel: +46 31 772 3241

               Fax:       (716) 645-3464
               WWW:       http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~milun/

1. Reserving Contiguous file space in UFS

I am doing a benchmark study on top of Unix file system.  The problem at hand
is that I have say 10 temporary on-disk files, each would grow by a block at
each algorithm step.  Ideally I want to see the file space for these files
allocated contiguously instead of in an interleaved fashion (thus incurring
higher seek cost).  Is there anyway to give hints to UFS so that contiguous
blocks are allocated to these tmp files?

BTW, all these files would be created and updated at the same time on
a newly created filesystem.

Thanks for shedding some lights on this!  Please email to

- Jay Li

PHD Candidate
Dept. of Computer Science
Columbia University
New York, NY 10027

2. Installing GNU packages on a Sun Netra

3. HELP: Can not mount UFS partitions - too many partitions

4. wu-ftpd-2.4 Anyone?

5. How do I resize contiguous partitions?

6. Setting an environment variable???

7. Rejoin 2 contiguous partitions ?

8. PPP: retaining host after ppp kill

9. how do i concatenate two strings

10. Concatenating two PostScript files, and gs whitespace problem

11. Concatenating two buffers

12. concatenating another partition onto / ?

13. Are two swap partitions on two disks better (faster) than one?