increasing # of shared memory segments on Solaris

increasing # of shared memory segments on Solaris

Post by Michael Christopher Vani » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I'm running Solaris 2.3 on a Sparc 10 multiprocessor machine.  I need
to be able to increase the number of shared memory segments in order
to run a multithreaded application (the system default is 6).  Does
anyone know how to do this?  I understand I have to edit the /etc/system
file, but I don't know the command, and the man pages aren't very
helpful.  Pointers to useful books covering this and similar subjects
would also be appreciated.

Mike

Department of Computation and Neural Systems, Caltech 216-76

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Thu, 02 Nov 1995 04:00:00

 >I'm running Solaris 2.3 on a Sparc 10 multiprocessor machine.  I need
 >to be able to increase the number of shared memory segments in order
 >to run a multithreaded application (the system default is 6).  Does
 >anyone know how to do this?  I understand I have to edit the /etc/system
 >file, but I don't know the command, and the man pages aren't very
 >helpful.  Pointers to useful books covering this and similar subjects
 >would also be appreciated.

This is covered in the system docs, in the security and tuning manual.
I just had to figure this out for a client a couple of weeks ago.

  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)810-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt. Inst.    /   _____  ______

  Web admin:  chimera,nn,tin,jove,kermit - free's best!/________/ /  /  / /

increasing # of shared memory segments on Solaris

Post by Trevor Paquet » Tue, 07 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm running Solaris 2.3 on a Sparc 10 multiprocessor machine.  I need
> to be able to increase the number of shared memory segments in order
> to run a multithreaded application (the system default is 6).  Does

 We use the foloowing in /etc/system for our Oracle databases, which require
more and many shared memory segments...

set maxusers = 64

forceload: sys/shmsys
forceload: sys/semsys
forceload: sys/msgsys

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=51200000
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=512
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=150
set semsys:seminfo_semmap=350
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=350
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=1000
set semsys:seminfo_semmnu=700
set semsys:seminfo_semume=100

* keep fsflush from hogging a CPU
set autoup=240

* other misc settings
set tr:tr_nbufs=256
set nfs:nfs_do_symlink_cache = 0

--
 Name:Trevor Paquette      |Alberta Energy Company Ltd |Work:(403) 266-8400