PPP Solaris 2.5.1 is driving me LOCO!!!!!!

PPP Solaris 2.5.1 is driving me LOCO!!!!!!

Post by Danny Khal » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

me too.

hehehe... I am going coocoo too!
few days and nothing works... read Celeste's tutorial and few other howto's
...nothing.
I use cu -d -L dial and it dials and logs on to my ppp, but that's about it.
no aspppd is started, no nothing. it just sits there for few minutes, and the
modem hangs up.

can somebody tell me what is supposed to happen afte cu establishes connection?
what kind of things am I looking  for?
I used Uutry -r -x9 but could not see the log in /etc/log/asppd.log. am I missing
something?
I will try some more tonight...
thanx for any help.

        -Danny-

Post by Josh Cohe » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> me too.

> hehehe... I am going coocoo too!
> few days and nothing works... read Celeste's tutorial and few other howto's
> ...nothing.
> I use cu -d -L dial and it dials and logs on to my ppp, but that's about it.
> no aspppd is started, no nothing. it just sits there for few minutes, and the
> modem hangs up.

Cu doesnt do the PPP, its just like a terminal program.
If your set up right, then network traffic should
cause the asppp to dial and start the link automatically

Josh Cohen                                      Netscape Communications Corp.
Netscape Fire Department                       "Mighty Morphin' Proxy Ranger"
Server Engineering

http://home.netscape.com/people/josh/

PPP Solaris 2.5.1 is driving me LOCO!!!!!!

Post by Dan Pritchar » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

After having suffered through this myself, I can offer some advice.
Looks like you have the right docs and readmes which is a good start. If
you can do a cu and dial the modem, than the hardware is talking.
Someone suggested to me that another thing to try is to "tip isp-name"
where isp-name is the name of the isp that is configured in the
/etc/uucp/* files. This will tell you if the System, Dialers, etc are
properly configured, though Uutry will do the same and show you on the
xterm what is happening. If this works, there is one other problem that
I had, and was posted here a week or two ago. If you have installed any
patches, that may be the problem. Patch number 104516-01 (or 104517-01)
will cause aspppd not to load with an error - basically device not
found. REMOVE THIS PATCH. Once I did that everything worked as it
should. With this patch installed, there is no way in H... you can get
it to work, no matter what you try.

   Hope this helps...

Dan

Post by Cameron Simpso » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

| I am going loco. After following the link that some kind folks have sent
| me, I have been trying to set up PPP for Solaris 2.5.1 for the past month
| now. I have read the links I have been sent, read every man page that
| relates to the string "PPP", done EXACTALLY what those both told me to do,
| and nothing works!!! Maybe I am just brain dead, I don't know. My question
| is, does anyone know of any books from Sun or otherwise that deals with
| this? I hear that Sun puts out a Network Administrator doc set, does
| anyone know if that would help? I am at the end of my rope here and would
| appreciate anyones opinion.

I have been tinkering with this myself.
I am using the EXCELLENT recipe at:

        http://WWW.ERC.MsState.Edu/~scarter/docs/solarisPPP-howto.html

You have to start aspppd (this is the default - /etc/init.d/asppp
should already be hardlinked to /etc/rc2.d/S47asppp).

With the right setup, attempts to get at the network will wake up
aspppd which will dial, connect etc and there you are.

If you continue to meet with no success after checking out that web
page get back in contact with me... I've still not got things quite right,
but I'm very close (i.e. I have made a PPP connection with this stuff, but
something in the routing is strangely bizarre).

          http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/
--
* Unix is a footnote of AT&T Bell Laboratories.     - Barry Shein

PPP Solaris 2.5.1 is driving me LOCO!!!!!!

Post by Blanche Coh » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Back to the PPP problem and the patches. Someone mentioned removing patches
104516-01 and/or 104517-01. Which update were these drivers installed? DU5,6,7?

thanks

--
Unsolicited Email of a commercial nature delivered to this address is
subject to a $500 charge. Emailing such items, whether automatically

1. Solaris PPP connecting to non-Solaris PPP

Hello

I am installing Solaris X86 2.6 to be my internal (home) server to connect
to my ISP.

The docs on Solaris PPP indicate that both ends MUST be Solaris PPP for this
to work.  This seems rather odd to me.

Has anyone done this?

What other options for PPP do I have if this is really true?

TIA

Jamie

2. Check directory

3. PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and HEADACHE

4. FIX for XBUG(comment) BUG enhancement

6. What does rc stand for?

7. IP-Masq and IRC

9. Am I touchy? Or am I right?