High capacity tape backup?

Post by Steve Mitchel » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a Sun SS20 with 40GB of disk.  I am interested in a high
capacity tape backup solution.  I already have the "16GB" 8mm
tape drive sold by Sun, but can only count on about 9GB out of it.

I know that higher capacity tape drives exist, but am interested
in other's opinions on what is best.  I would like to be able to
use some my existing 8mm tapes, if possible.

Thanks for any ideas.

--steve

--
 Steve Mitchell                                                 (209)
278-5675

 Fresno, CA 93740-0115
http://www.atinet.org/~steve

High capacity tape backup?

Post by Erwin Fri » Sun, 21 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hi,

>I know that higher capacity tape drives exist, but am interested
>in other's opinions on what is best.  I would like to be able to
>use some my existing 8mm tapes, if possible.

I've used both the IIIXT and IV series DLT cartridges with great success,
although not on Sun platforms (NT and HP-UX).  I swear by them.

High capacity tape backup?

Post by David Peterso » Tue, 23 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> >Hi,

> >I know that higher capacity tape drives exist, but am interested
> >in other's opinions on what is best.  I would like to be able to
> >use some my existing 8mm tapes, if possible.

> I've used both the IIIXT and IV series DLT cartridges with great success,
> although not on Sun platforms (NT and HP-UX).  I swear by them.

We have recently installed a DLT robotic library system for our
minicipal government and a 6 tape DLT system for the federal government.
 The one is running an UltraSPARC server  Solaris 2.5 with a Breece Hill
(60 x 40 GB) two drive robotic library unit, the other is using a
standard SPARC 20 SUN OS 4.1.3 with a 6 x 20 GB drive.  While both of
these units would probably be overkill for you situation, you could
probably get by with a single tape DLT drive.

There are some options in the 8mm format.  Exabyte has introduced their
Mammoth drives which offer 40 GB capacity.
http://www.Exabyte.COM/Products/8mm/Mammoth/Ifeatures.html

I apologize for not having prices, (I'm at home) but if anyone is
interested in DLT products for use in a SUN environment, we can provide
several different solutions and associated software.

--
David Peterson
V.P. Marketing

High capacity tape backup?

Post by Eric McCart » Wed, 24 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I think the DLT tapes are better for several reasons.  The DLT
>tapes have a faster transfer rate, 5mb/sec, opposed to the 8mm
>drive which has a 500kb/sec transfer rate.  The transfer rate
>of the DLT tape is 10 times faster.

That's exaggerating a bit.  The fastest DLT is 5 MB/sec.
Exabyte's Mammoth 8mm system has a transfer rate of 3 MB/sec.
1.7 times faster.

--
Eric McCarthy
--

High capacity tape backup?

Post by PB » Wed, 24 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I think the DLT tapes are better for several reasons.  The DLT
tapes have a faster transfer rate, 5mb/sec, opposed to the 8mm
drive which has a 500kb/sec transfer rate.  The transfer rate
of the DLT tape is 10 times faster.

High capacity tape backup?

Post by TravisB » Sun, 04 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi

Re:

Quote:>I have a Sun SS20 with 40GB of disk.  I am interested in a high
>capacity tape backup solution.  I already have the "16GB" 8mm
>tape drive sold by Sun, but can only count on about 9GB out of it.

>I know that higher capacity tape drives exist, but am interested
>in other's opinions on what is best.  I would like to be able to
>use some my existing 8mm tapes, if possible.

>Thanks for any ideas

The capacity of tapes depends on the device you refer to them as
(forgive my grammar :-). For example, we have some Exabyte 8500c
drives, and use this table to determine the capacity:

device           format          capacity(GB)
-----------        ------------       ---------------------
nrst0             8200                2
nrst8             8500                5
nrst16           8200c              7
nrst24           8500c              10

(c means compression). For more info, try the man page on st,
and Exabyte's home page (www.exabyte.com).
The tech info section has some good
stuff, if you want to continue to use your 8mm drive.

Then again, everyone is probably right -- go to DLTs :-)

Good luck,
Travis

High capacity tape backup?

Post by KennethC Baro » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi

> Re:
> >I have a Sun SS20 with 40GB of disk.  I am interested in a high
> >capacity tape backup solution.  I already have the "16GB" 8mm
> >tape drive sold by Sun, but can only count on about 9GB out of it.

> >I know that higher capacity tape drives exist, but am interested
> >in other's opinions on what is best.  I would like to be able to
> >use some my existing 8mm tapes, if possible.

> >Thanks for any ideas

*netics in Yorktown VA has several 8mm tape back up systems that
backup across multiple tapes.

High capacity tape backup?

Post by Paul Gimpel » Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have a Sun SS20 with 40GB of disk.  I am interested in a high
> capacity tape backup solution.  I already have the "16GB" 8mm
> tape drive sold by Sun, but can only count on about 9GB out of it.

> I know that higher capacity tape drives exist, but am interested
> in other's opinions on what is best.  I would like to be able to
> use some my existing 8mm tapes, if possible.

> Thanks for any ideas

Your best bet is DLT drive.  They are safe and reliable, I have not seen one fail yet.  You can get 20GB uncomressed or about 40GB with drive compression.  However, both tapes and the drive are fairly expensive.  But you will get what you paid for.

                                                        Paul Gimpelev

High capacity tape backup?

Post by Albert W. Dorringt » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

|> > Hi,
|> >
|> > I have a Sun SS20 with 40GB of disk.  I am interested in a high
|> > capacity tape backup solution.  I already have the "16GB" 8mm
|> > tape drive sold by Sun, but can only count on about 9GB out of it.
|> >
|> > I know that higher capacity tape drives exist, but am interested
|> > in other's opinions on what is best.  I would like to be able to
|> > use some my existing 8mm tapes, if possible.
|> >
|> > Thanks for any ideas
|>

|> Your best bet is DLT drive.  They are safe and reliable, I have not seen
|> one fail yet.  You can get 20GB uncomressed or about 40GB with drive
|> compression.  However, both tapes and the drive are fairly expensive.
|> But you will get what you paid for.
|>
|>                                                   Paul Gimpelev

I agree that the orignal poster should go for DLT - but I think instead
of a DLT-4000 drive (which Paul recommended) I'd recommend a DLT-2500xt
autochanger drive.

The cost for the 5 tape 'xt' autochanger is about the same as the DLT-4000
tape drive. Each tape holds 15 GB native instead of 20GB native but:

1) the CompacTape IIIxt tapes are half the cost of a CompactTape IV
2) You will get 75-150GB of total storage for the autochanger vs
   only 20-40GB of storage with the single tape DLT-4000 drive.

If you have 40GB of Disk to back up - I would highly doubt you'd be
able to fit it all on one CompacTape IV.

Still, if you can wait a bit longer - go for the newer DLT drive that
Quantum has been promising us for so long. 35GB native capacity at
5MB/s backup speed.

Anyone heard weather this will be out soon or not?

- Al

--
Al Dorrington

Delco Electronics - IC CIM                         Unix  Sysadmin
Kokomo, Indiana, USA                               Phone: 317.451.9655

High capacity tape backup?

Post by Blair Phillip » Sun, 18 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> > I have a Sun SS20 with 40GB of disk.  I am interested in a high
> > capacity tape backup solution.  I already have the "16GB" 8mm
> > tape drive sold by Sun, but can only count on about 9GB out of it.

> > I know that higher capacity tape drives exist, but am interested
> > in other's opinions on what is best.  I would like to be able to
> > use some my existing 8mm tapes, if possible.

> > Thanks for any ideas

> Your best bet is DLT drive.  They are safe and reliable, I have not
> seen one fail yet.  You can get 20GB uncomressed or about 40GB with
> drive compression.  However, both tapes and the drive are fairly
> expensive.  But you will get what you paid for.

DLT is certainly one of the best technologies available, but I would
choose multiple DLT2000xt drives rather than a single DLT4000.
The media is a lot cheaper and more available, and your data transfer
rate onto multiple drives will be much higher.
Don't do what one site I know did, which was buy a DLT4700 stacker,
then discover that they could not fill more than 1 tape during their
backup window!
--

Canberra, Australia.  Phone: +61 411189724

1. Anyone have success with high capacity tape backup media

Hello,

I have just read the ftape faq to find any info on tape
backup drives to backup my 1 Gb. harddisk.

I suppose I could swap 3-4 tape of 250 Mb in anbd out,
but would rather use a 700 Mb tape system (Iomega ??)
or a DAT system.

Does anyone have any experience.

If answers are recieved only by e-mail, I'll post a summary.

Thanks in advance.

Anders Nattestad.

Anders Nattestad, DDS., Ph.D., Dep. of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Dental School,  Faculty of Health Science,   University of Copenhagen
Norre Alle 20, Copenhagen, Denmark, Ph. +4535326618,  Fax +4535326625

2. DCOPserver already running

3. Suggestions for backup strategies to high capacity tape drives.

4. Strange thread behaviour on 8-way x86 machine

5. high capacity backup tape for RS/6000

6. Intel 82593 network card

7. High capacity (400-500MB) tape backup systems

8. Apple Local Talk PC Card

9. High capacity multi-platform backup solutions?

10. Iomega Ditto High Speed/Capacity Tape Drives

11. High capacity tape storage

12. Info on high-capacity SCSI tape drive

13. Q: ftape - What high-capacity tape streamers are supported?