Sun Sparc Servers and STK disk arrays.

Post by Andrew L Bedna » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

We are looking into getting some RAID disk arrays and I am looking for
some information on the ones made by StorageTek (STK).  We have several
Sparc 1000 servers and will be using one or more disk array.  The ones
made by Sun are well known and I have plenty of info on how they work.
What I am looking for is info anyone has on the STK disk arrays (the
model we are looking at is the STK 9131) and how well they work with Sun
Sparc Servers.

Thanks in advance,

Post by Michael E Wille » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>We are looking into getting some RAID disk arrays and I am looking for
>some information on the ones made by StorageTek (STK).  We have several
>Sparc 1000 servers and will be using one or more disk array.  The ones
>made by Sun are well known and I have plenty of info on how they work.
>What I am looking for is info anyone has on the STK disk arrays (the
>model we are looking at is the STK 9131) and how well they work with Sun
>Sparc Servers.
>Thanks in advance,

The Storage Computer RAID 7 disk arrays are used by lot of Sun
customers where very high I/O performance is required, such as with
big databases.  There are some user documentaries on the Storage
Computer WWW server, http://www.storage.com/.

Mike Willett, Storage Computer Corp., http://www.storage.com/

Post by Jeff Wasil » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>>some information on the ones made by StorageTek (STK).  We have several
>>Sparc 1000 servers and will be using one or more disk array.  The ones
>>made by Sun are well known and I have plenty of info on how they work.
>>What I am looking for is info anyone has on the STK disk arrays (the
>>model we are looking at is the STK 9131) and how well they work with Sun
>The Storage Computer RAID 7 disk arrays are used by lot of Sun
>customers where very high I/O performance is required, such as with
>big databases.  There are some user documentaries on the Storage

Somehow, I doubt that StorTek and StorComp RAIDs are in the same
league.

Please see the comp.arch.storage FAQ for details on StorComp.

-Jeff (RAID user who doesn't use StorComp)

1. Help, Booting Sparc 20 from Sparc Disk Array via fiber link

Does anyone have an answer on what the EEPROM variable
BOOT DISK must be set to to have the system recognize the
Sparc Disk array as the boot disk. Currently we have to use
sun's 1GB drive as a boot disk with about 800meg of swap space to
run an application. The speed of the SCSI/drive causes excessive
disk access time for any activity.

We hope to use the disk array box as our boot system and let the
necessary swapping travel on the much faster fiber system.

Anyone out there with this answer?

Thank You, Gene

Be kind to your children, they will choose your nursing home.

2. Linux/NT dual - two disks

3. SUN Ultra 2, and SUN 12 Disk Array (SCSI)

4. X Slow to Start

5. How to replace a disk in Sun A5000 Disk Array

6. Phone control.... anti-spam

7. Did anybody here use the equivalent Seagate FC disks in a Sun T3 disk array?

8. Linux with Ultra ATA Hard Drive

9. How to replace a disk in Sun A5000 Disk Array

10. Re-attaching Sun A5000 Array to Sun E3500 Server & OS Upgrade

11. move the local disk drives and disk array from SunE3500 to Sun E 5500

12. Problems with very slow disks on a SUN A1000 disk-array!

13. Disk Firmware on Sun 3310 Disk Array