Veritas vs. DiskSuite

Post by T.Rul » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Sorry, just a newbie question.

Anyone know the advantages (if any) that Veritas has over Disksuite.

Veritas vs. DiskSuite

Post by Ron Dille » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

T.Rule,

Veritas is faster, more stable, handles disk failures better and
(opinion) "is simpler to use".

Disksuite is free.

Ron

> Sorry, just a newbie question.

> Anyone know the advantages (if any) that Veritas has over Disksuite.

|   Ron Dilley          Sr. UNIX Network Administrator   |

Veritas vs. DiskSuite

Post by Jeff Kenne » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Recent experience:

Veritas running on an A5000 array attached to an E3500.  A disk in a
volume set starts having errors.  Veritas rebuilds the data from the
failing disk onto the hot swap disk, drops the failing disk from the
volume, reconfigures the volume with the hot swap disk, puts the
failing disk offline.  All this without admin intervention or
downtime, all of it was done on the fly in less than 3 minutes.  And
these were 9 gig disks.

Jeff

>Sorry, just a newbie question.

>Anyone know the advantages (if any) that Veritas has over Disksuite.

Veritas vs. DiskSuite

Post by LeeN » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>>Anyone know the advantages (if any) that Veritas has over Disksuite.

as I understand it, if you change a disk that is under the control of Veritas,
the volumes and disk groups are automatically updated with the new device name.
I think Disksuite doesn't do this automatically, which means that if a target
changes or you swap a device, the volumes are looking at an old /dev name.

Veritas vs. DiskSuite

Post by Aleksandar Milivojevi » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Sorry, just a newbie question.

> Anyone know the advantages (if any) that Veritas has over Disksuite.

DiskSuite is free.

Veritas is much more powerfull and easier to use.

--

                  Opinions expressed herein are my own.
================================ooooO=Ooooo==============================

Veritas vs. DiskSuite

Post by Paul Gimpel » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> >Sorry, just a newbie question.

> >Anyone know the advantages (if any) that Veritas has over Disksuite.

> Well, for one thing, DiskSuite is free. :) Veritas has the advantage
> that it does automatic partitioning whereas with DiskSuite,
> you have to manually partition the drives.

Not to mention the ability to slice the drive into more than 8 partitions

--
                                                "Don't eat yellow snow!!!"
The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily of my employer.

Veritas vs. DiskSuite

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>..
>BTW Sun has journal filesystem support in SunOS 5.7 aka Solaris 7.

however, note that it is not the same type of journaling. in particular,
Solaris 7 it wont let you specify the device  to do journaling on.
ODS does.

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

Veritas vs. DiskSuite

Post by Stanley Freima » Sat, 02 Jan 1999 04:00:00

In my expierince the biggest difference is scaleability, Disksuite is
easier and more practical on smaller systems ( 2 - 10 disks), Veritas
has great advantages for large systems, I think that Disksuite would be
a nightmare on a system of more than 50 disks.

Stanley

Post by Lupe Christo » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>In my expierince the biggest difference is scaleability, Disksuite is
>easier and more practical on smaller systems ( 2 - 10 disks), Veritas
>has great advantages for large systems, I think that Disksuite would be
>a nightmare on a system of more than 50 disks.

Disksuite is also a nightmare when you have shared disks, i.e.
a High Availability cluster. ODS insists that all major/minor
device numbers are the same. A year ago it had all kinds of
bugs when it came to the ODS equivalent of disk groups (forgot
what they call it). Somehow I doubt this has changed by now..
--

| "The network is the network, the computer is the computer.             |
| Sorry for the confusion -- Sun Microsystems"                           |

Veritas vs. DiskSuite

Post by Don Pandor » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I agree with Stanley.  I've got 2 years experience with both SDS
(Solstice DiskSuite) and SEVM (Sun Enterprise Volume Manager).
One of the main differences that I have found is that SDS support RAID 0+1
and SEVM doesn't.  Basically that means that SDS mirroring is disk based
rather than plex-based.

I prefer SEVM because IMHO it is easier to manage and seems more robust
than SDS.

Sun also seems to favor SEVM.  It's evident in Sun's SunCluster product.
You get a lot more scalability with SEVM.

Don

->In my expierince the biggest difference is scaleability, Disksuite is
->easier and more practical on smaller systems ( 2 - 10 disks), Veritas
->has great advantages for large systems, I think that Disksuite would be
->a nightmare on a system of more than 50 disks.
->
->Stanley
->
->
->> Sorry, just a newbie question.
->>
->> Anyone know the advantages (if any) that Veritas has over Disksuite.
->>

->
->
->

Don Pandori
Unix Systems Engineer

Veritas vs. DiskSuite

Post by Doug Hughe » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I agree with Stanley.  I've got 2 years experience with both SDS
> (Solstice DiskSuite) and SEVM (Sun Enterprise Volume Manager).
> One of the main differences that I have found is that SDS support RAID 0+1
> and SEVM doesn't.  Basically that means that SDS mirroring is disk based
> rather than plex-based.

That's RAID 1+0, and SEVM 3.0 (imminent) supports it as well. They also
talk about growing a raid-5 by columns, which is WAY coool, though not
sure if that's going to be in 3.0 or not. Also, the old vxva visual
administrator motif-ish interface is completely gone now in favor of the
java one.
Quote:

> I prefer SEVM because IMHO it is easier to manage and seems more robust
> than SDS.

manage yes. Don't know about robust. They're both pretty robust.
Quote:

> Sun also seems to favor SEVM.  It's evident in Sun's SunCluster product.
> You get a lot more scalability with SEVM.

scalability - yes!, options yes! (there are a lot more ways to skin a cat
in vxvm than there are in sds.)

Sun has a history of flipflopping on what their direction is with SDS.
What they do next is anyone's guess...

Doug Hughes                                     Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin                                Auburn University

1. Veritas vs Disksuite

Hello,

We need to upgrade from HA 1.3 to SUNCLUSTER 2.x. But we want to keep
Disksuite on our two E4000s, because we have a good knowledge of
Disksuite and we have to pay for the migration to VxFS. (quite
expensive: 20000$-25000$).
Do anyone of you know when SUNCluster will be supported with Disksuite?
We have some questions to Veritas:
* Is it true that the code of Veritas is not the same for E4000s and
E5000s?
* What are your experiences with Veritas (performance, reliabilty,
useabilty, etc)
* Can you give me some pros and contras of Disksuite and Veritas?

Guy.

2. anybody installed dHCP ?

3. Veritas VM vs Disksuite and ufs vs vxfs

4. Yay! Canon BJC-250 working finally!

5. Veritas Volume Manager vs Solstice DiskSuite

6. A few more problems, please help!

7. DiskSuite VS. Veritas Volume Manager.

8. Remote X ?

9. VERITAS vs. Online: DiskSuite - looking for unbiased comparisons

10. Veritas VxVM vs. DiskSuite 4.0...which one to use??

11. DiskSuite vs others (veritas, etc)

12. DiskSuite VS. Veritas Volume Manager.

13. DiskSuite vs Veritas - which to use