ld -r

Post by Radhika Ra » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 03:27:45

Hi,

 This might sound a bit crazy but I need to know if this can be done..

I get ab.a from the following..

ld -r a.o b.o -o ab.a

where a.o and b.o are relocatable ELF objects.

Is it possible to reverse this process in any way (even if it
needs using the libelf library) and get a.o and b.o back from ab.a ?

Thanks
chandra

ld -r

Post by John Bree » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:56:22

Hi,

try the ar command

ar -x ab.a a.o

JohnB

Quote:

> Hi,

>  This might sound a bit crazy but I need to know if this can be done..

> I get ab.a from the following..

> ld -r a.o b.o -o ab.a

> where a.o and b.o are relocatable ELF objects.

> Is it possible to reverse this process in any way (even if it
> needs using the libelf library) and get a.o and b.o back from ab.a ?

> Thanks
> chandra

ld -r

Post by Andy Plat » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 23:10:30

That won't help - the ld -r command doesn't create an archive it creates a
combined object file.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> Hi,

> try the ar command

> ar -x ab.a a.o

> JohnB

> > Hi,

> >  This might sound a bit crazy but I need to know if this can be done..

> > I get ab.a from the following..

> > ld -r a.o b.o -o ab.a

> > where a.o and b.o are relocatable ELF objects.

> > Is it possible to reverse this process in any way (even if it
> > needs using the libelf library) and get a.o and b.o back from ab.a ?

> > Thanks
> > chandra

ld -r

Post by John Bree » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 01:03:12

Sorry I misread the message, I taught he was using ar -r
My mistake.
JohnB

> That won't help - the ld -r command doesn't create an archive it creates a
> combined object file.

> Andy.

> --
> I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> > Hi,

> > try the ar command

> > ar -x ab.a a.o

> > JohnB

> > > Hi,

> > >  This might sound a bit crazy but I need to know if this can be done..

> > > I get ab.a from the following..

> > > ld -r a.o b.o -o ab.a

> > > where a.o and b.o are relocatable ELF objects.

> > > Is it possible to reverse this process in any way (even if it
> > > needs using the libelf library) and get a.o and b.o back from ab.a ?

> > > Thanks
> > > chandra

1. ld ... ld ... etc

Anyone had any success using the "ld -r" to prelink object files expecting
4.2 BSD external resolution so that they can be used in a subsequent ld
linked with "System V" emulation libraries.

This is on Ultrix 1.2(4.2 kernel), we are trying to use their System V
libraries and pre-link a version of the INGRES(4.2) libraries, to then link
into one "working" executable.

Any ideas, suggestions ....

        Jim Page

        ihnp4!bellcore!rruxa!jpage

2. Quicken-Like App?

3. ld.so-1.9.5 upgrade ld.so segfault

4. Adaptec 2920 / Future Domain 3260 (36c70)

5. GNU ld vs ANY ld

6. Debian questions: startup

7. /usr/ccs/bin/ld Vs. /usr/ucb/ld

8. boot from CD access to hard drives

9. Newbie alert: problem getting ld to link with ld-linux.so.2

10. How to create /var/ld/ld.config ?

11. XFree86/xvidtune problems - i.e. missing /var/ld/ld.config etc.

12. /var/ld/ld.config

13. /lib/ld: cache 'LD.SO.CACHE' is corrupt (or equivelent)