'last' doesn't give me latest info

Post by david tennen » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Using Solaris 7,

the command 'last' will not give me the list of the latest access to my
machine, the list stops at a date several weeks ago.

However, the command 'who -a /var/adm/wtmp' takes me right up to today.

I'm confused, advice greatly appreciated.

David Tennent

'last' doesn't give me latest info

Post by Pinkesh Sachde » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Using Solaris 7,
> the command 'last' will not give me the list of the latest access to my
> machine, the list stops at a date several weeks ago.
> However, the command 'who -a /var/adm/wtmp' takes me right up to today.
> I'm confused, advice greatly appreciated.

 "last" prints starting from latest day (most likely the current time)
while "who -a" prints starting from earliest date to latest day.  u might
be confused if u look only at the last line of the output.

'last' doesn't give me latest info

Post by david tennen » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for your reply, but that is not the case. Still confused!

> > Using Solaris 7,

> > the command 'last' will not give me the list of the latest access to my
> > machine, the list stops at a date several weeks ago.

> > However, the command 'who -a /var/adm/wtmp' takes me right up to today.

> > I'm confused, advice greatly appreciated.

>  "last" prints starting from latest day (most likely the current time)
> while "who -a" prints starting from earliest date to latest day.  u might
> be confused if u look only at the last line of the output.

1. Where's Finger's 'last login' info stored?

When executing finger it tells where a user last logged in from and at
what time.  Where is it getting this information?

I thought for a while it used /etc/wtmp but it's cleared once a week
(here) and finger seems to remember where someone last logged in from for
longer than that.

-- Gordon

Gordon Edwards, N4VPH              |         "Nothing Unreal Exists"
NCR Engineering & Manufacturing    |

2. Linux 1.3.57 and PPP driver

3. host info missing from who's w's last's output

4. Restoring .KDE

5. 'last' command doesn't show complete login times

6. alpha/numeric pagings drivers/tools

7. The 'last' command doesn't record users logout

8. ANNOUNCE: Guide to The LinuxWorld News Online

9. Help: problems with 'w', 'who' and 'last'

10. 'info' displays hyphens in man pages as '^i' instead of '-'

11. ping -g 'gateway-IP' 'host-IP' DOESN'T work!

12. 'ping' sees route but 'telnet' doesn't??

13. Why does 'ls' give '/' as the output?