CONSOLE=- doesn't work under CDE

Post by jl gom » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Need to disable root login through CDE when the people
access the machine using their X servers on their
machines.

Adding CONSOLE=- to /etc/default/login didn't work.

Any other suggestions? Even tried CONSOLE=/dev/ttya and
root can still login through CDE!o

Reply to 'jlg' at enteract.com or post a follow-up
here.

Post by Joe Durusa » Tue, 27 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Need to disable root login through CDE when the people
> access the machine using their X servers on their
> machines.

> Adding CONSOLE=- to /etc/default/login didn't work.

> Any other suggestions? Even tried CONSOLE=/dev/ttya and
> root can still login through CDE!o

> Reply to 'jlg' at enteract.com or post a follow-up
> here.

        I don't use CDE locally, but did you try
CONSOLE = SECURE

        Since that's supposed to be the flag that disallows
remote root access?  It's not clear what you set CONSOLE to
in your post.

        Speaking only for myself,

                        Joe Durusau

1. '..' in cdpath doesn't work in CDE 1.0 environment

I have a couple things work perfectly in openwin environment but don't
work in CDE 1.0. The first thing is that I put .. in the cdpath (I use
csh). The other is that I have an alias h is 'history \!* | tail -20' ,
while alias h still works OK in CDE 1.0, h > saved_file dosn't work any
more. I get an error message says ambiguous redirection. Since I can't
change CDE back to openwin, I was wondering someone can tell me why
those two things don't work in CDE 1.0 and what is the cure for that?
thanks.

Xixi

2. files locator wanted for linux

3. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

4. FYI RH 5.2 xanim

5. can't click to focus, console doesn't work

6. Solaris 9 SSH as root question

7. Weird behavior after flash install (CDE terminal window doesn't work!)

8. Configuring Apache W3C server

9. CDE command line login doesn't work

10. Keypad doesn't work in CDE, but does under OpenWindows?

11. bash in CDE doesn't work

12. CDE 1.3: Power Management doesn't work correct un Ultra5

13. CDE Lockscreen doesn't work!