Virtual IPs.

Post by Colin A. Soosa » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I would like to find out the number of IP addresses that can be assigned to a single
Ethernet card.

I am currently running Solaris 2.5 on a Sun Ultra Netra. It presently has only 1
Ethernet card (le0) and I have assigned a Class C IP to it ie. 202.202.202.10. I have no
problems assigning extra IPs(ie. 202.202.202.11) to it using the ifconfig command
without any problems. However, I do not know if there is a limit to assigning IP
adddress in such a fashion.

Any response is very much appreciated.

Regards,
Colin A. Soosay
Silicon Communications.

Virtual IPs.

Post by Mike Harrels » Sun, 18 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I would like to find out the number of IP addresses that can be assigned to a
>single Ethernet card.

>I am currently running Solaris 2.5 on a Sun Ultra Netra. It presently has only
>1 Ethernet card (le0) and I have assigned a Class C IP to it
>ie. 202.202.202.10. I have no problems assigning extra IPs(ie. 202.202.202.11)
>to it using the ifconfig command without any problems. However, I do not know
>if there is a limit to assigning IP adddress in such a fashion.

>Any response is very much appreciated.

A guy at a local ISP here says the limit is 254 on Solaris 2.5.
Is this right?

-- mikeh

Virtual IPs.

Post by Steve Ka » Mon, 19 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I would like to find out the number of IP addresses that can be assigned to a
>single
>Ethernet card.

>I am currently running Solaris 2.5 on a Sun Ultra Netra. It presently has only 1
>Ethernet card (le0) and I have assigned a Class C IP to it ie. 202.202.202.10. I
>have no
>problems assigning extra IPs(ie. 202.202.202.11) to it using the ifconfig
>command
>without any problems. However, I do not know if there is a limit to assigning IP
>adddress in such a fashion.

255 max, after that you've got to rush out and buy more ethernet cards.

Steve Kay.
d- s+ a- US++ p-- w x++ b++ DI++++ G e* h--

1. removing virtual IPs in solaris 10

Hi,

I want to remove the virtual IPs I've added in Solaris 10, but I'm
wondering what will happen to my processes that may be bound to this
Virtual IP?  Is there a graceful shutdown to all the processes or does
deleting the VIP cause havoc to the other processes bound to this IP?
Should I stop all processes first before continueing with the removal
of this VIP?

Please let me know what experiences any of you have had with this?

thanks,
Kerilyn

2. LILO? problems with EMM386 in dos

3. Max num Virtual IPs ?

4. Linux and Compaq MSA1000 SAN Array

5. Multiple IP addresses?/Virtual IPs?

6. NIS client and X windows?...how?

7. Virtual IPs.

8. books describing /proc?

9. Virtual IPs

10. Problems with FTP Service and virtual IPs (NEED HELP)

11. Virtual IPs and Connect system call

12. Connection refused on one of virtual IPs

13. HELP- How many virtual IPs are needed for Veritas Cluster Server?