Moving from BSD to Solaris

Post by Contr Karl Vog » Sat, 12 Feb 1994 04:52:02

Greetings!

We're migrating our MIS from BSD4.3 to a Solaris 2.3 system, and I'm looking
for comments from people who've done likewise.

We have about 400 PCs running Windows 3.1 with the PC/TCP package from FTP
software.  The PCs are connected to our Unix box via Ethernet, and I'd love
to hear about successes or failures from people with similar setups;
comments like "Brand X terminal servers work fine" or "We had a hell of a
time setting up printing from a networked PC" are exactly what I'm looking
for.

We need to support the following capabilities.  If you have experience with
ANY of these things on a system running Solaris, please share your insights:

        - Telnet availability for up to 128 simultaneous users from PCs.
        - 10 Gbytes of disk space with SCSI Exabyte backup.
        - Network printing from PCs using the MIS as a print server, using
          Microplex LPD printserver boxes connected to each printer.
        - Remote printing to PostScript printers over a phone line.
        - Mail handling on PCs using the MIS as a mail server.
        - FTP and NFS capability for the PCs.
        - A menu-system which allows users to run applications on the MIS,
          accessible via telnet from the PCs.  Alternatively, a software-only
          X-windows product which allows a PC to run applications on the MIS.
        - Multiple modems accessible from the network (i.e., dialin/dialout
          capability).
        - Oracle version 7 on the MIS.

Additional nice-to-have capabilities would be:

        - Fax capability from the MIS.
        - Mounting one or more CD-ROMs as NFS filesystems for PCs.
        - 3270 emulation from the MIS over a network connection.

Feel free to post your replies; I read this group daily.  If you'd rather send
mail to save bandwidth, that's dandy.  I'll summarize any responses I get.
Thanks in advance.

--

Control Data Systems, Inc.      ASC/YCOA, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 45433

1. Building pmake (BSD make) on Solaris (non-BSD in general)?

I've got a couple code bases that use pmake (BSD make) for there
environment.  This has been fine on my work station, however I now need this
code base to build under Solaris.  My first thought was to simply build
pmake on Solaris...and that's when I ran into a wall.

Apparently, pmake's makefiles are written in, guess what, pmake.  So I need
pmake to build pmake.  Catch-22...  That, or read the makefiles by hand and
execute the build commands by hand...

Perhaps someone has done the port work and knows where I can find a Solaris
package for pmake?

Thanks!

--

                                    "Nyet.  Linux coder in next office."
                                    "Good man.  Ignore the screams."

2. Is there any API for monitoring system resources(CPU utilization, free memory....)?

3. BSD, BSD or BSD?

4. ioctl and sys/procfs.h on dynix 4.5

5. ufstype=old = how old? SunOS fstype=4.2 old?

6. Can I connect a Dumb terminal?

7. Moving from another BSD to NetBSD

8. SUN moving away from BSD to System V

9. Moving BSD hard disk to a new computer

10. moving /bsd off /