NewBie Question - Help Please.

Post by someon » Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:28:41

Hi All,

I have Solaris 220 R Server and I have a Compaq Monitor.
I am not able to run CDE.

Can anybody help me fix this.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Santosh

Post by Rich Tee » Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:12:48

> I have Solaris 220 R Server and I have a Compaq Monitor.
> I am not able to run CDE.

> Can anybody help me fix this.

Don't put a frame buffer in a server.  :-)

I have an E220R, and it's VERY noisy.  There's no way I'd want
to sit anywhere near it, using it as a workstation!

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, author of "Solaris Systems Programming"

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Thomas Maier-Komo » Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:57:19

> Hi All,

> I have Solaris 220 R Server and I have a Compaq Monitor.
> I am not able to run CDE.

> Can anybody help me fix this.

> Any help is appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Santosh

if your problem concerns configuring monitor and frame buffer
try kdmconfig

Tom

Post by Coy Hil » Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:28:58

> Don't put a frame buffer in a server.  :-)

> I have an E220R, and it's VERY noisy.  There's no way I'd want
> to sit anywhere near it, using it as a workstation!

Could be worse, Rich.  Could be an e450 with a framebuffer in it.  In
fact, I've seen four of those beasts!

--
Coy Hile

Post by Thomas Maier-Komo » Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:38:45

>> Hi All,

>> I have Solaris 220 R Server and I have a Compaq Monitor.
>> I am not able to run CDE.

>> Can anybody help me fix this.

>> Any help is appreciated.

>> Thanks,

>> Santosh

> if your problem concerns configuring monitor and frame buffer
> try kdmconfig

> Tom

sorry, this one is x86 only - on the sparcs there are different
tools depending on the framebuffer...

1. 3 newbie questions ..help please

hi everybody
i have these questions, any help with them is really appreciated:
1. when i log as a root no password is required, can i add one? and how?
2. i have a 486 100mz, 20M RAM i'm not sure if do need a swap space or
not. any suggestions on on whether i need it or not? if yes who much is
enough ( i installed linux in 350M partition)
3. i upgraded recently from kernel 1.2.13 to 2.0.24. now when i log in i
get this error message:
starting daemons: syslogd klogd portmap inetd lpd mounted_fcntl() called
by process 73 (lpd) with broked fock() emulation
nfsd

now what is syslogd,klogd,portmap, inetd, and lpd ?
how can fix this thing

many thanx in advance

2. Frontpage and NFS don't mix?

3. newbie question please please help

4. Bourne Shell Script Question

5. Please, please, please help a newbie.

6. FTP install on an i386

7. Newbie question. Please help!

8. Airmen just say NO to Microsoft NT

9. Newbie Question ( Please Help)

10. Newbie question: Please help

11. Newbie Questions please help

12. Newbie question about Dell Server RAM and Processor - Please help??

13. a newbie question before installing linux, please help...