Partitions within RAID?

Post by houst.. » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Here's what I'm trying to do. I'm looking at purchasing a little
DiskArray from Sun (the A1000) so that we can do RAID 5 and
have a little extra security for our users' data. Let's say there 4
18GB drives in the array. I want 7 different partitions, each some
arbitrary size, and each mounts at a different point. (Basically, this
is so I can enforce a "quota" on a group of users, 1 group per
partition, instead of having individual quotas)

Is this possible or do those disks have to create a single RAID 5
space? If it is possible, can I get a quick run-down or a pointer to
information about doing it? Thanks in advance!

-ben

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Partitions within RAID?

Post by Gordo » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 12:04:22

Ben,

The configuration you propose is quite simple.... The A1000 array requires
the use of Raid Manager software (which should ship with the array) and is
used to configure Lun(s) (Logical unit or collection of disk, i.e. Raid 0,
1, or 5). The Lun(s) are presented to Solaris the same as any other
physical disk (i.e. cxtxdx). This device(s) can be partitioned in any
number of ways (i.e. Solaris with format utility, Disk Suite, or Volume
Manager). Hope this helps..

Gordon

> Here's what I'm trying to do. I'm looking at purchasing a little
> DiskArray from Sun (the A1000) so that we can do RAID 5 and
> have a little extra security for our users' data. Let's say there 4
> 18GB drives in the array. I want 7 different partitions, each some
> arbitrary size, and each mounts at a different point. (Basically, this
> is so I can enforce a "quota" on a group of users, 1 group per
> partition, instead of having individual quotas)

> Is this possible or do those disks have to create a single RAID 5
> space? If it is possible, can I get a quick run-down or a pointer to
> information about doing it? Thanks in advance!

> -ben

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Partitions within RAID?

Post by Thomas Tornblo » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> > Ben,

> > The configuration you propose is quite simple.... The A1000 array requires
> > the use of Raid Manager software (which should ship with the array) and is

> Wait.  I thought the A1000 and D1000 systems aren't HW RAID but SW RAID.
> the A3000 is HW RAID which uses RM6 to manage the RAID setup at the
> controller level.  Veritas Volume Manager (free license with A1000 or
> D1000) take the JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) disks over multiple paths
> and present it to Solaris as 1 disk with fail-over paths.  Veritas will

The difference between the D1000 and A1000 is that the A1000 really is
a HW-raid, and the A1000 is controlled by rm6.

--

Sun Microsystems AB      Fax: +46 8 631 1102

1. install on a primary partition within the extended partition?

My notebook has been partitioned as the following:
1.Primary Partiotion (windows XP)
2.Extended Partition
        Logical partition (FAT32,the only partition in the extended)

Now I am tired of using vmware to run fbsd, but fbsd can only be installled on a
primary, PQmagic can set a logical within the extended to be primary, will it be ok
with fbsd' installation?

thank you. Partitioning is somewhat big problem...

2. Please Help !!!!

3. add raid device to root raid partition?

4. scsi via pcmcia with kernel 2.3.99pre3

5. Mounting a RAID-0 partition on an IDE-SCSI/RAID Promise Lite controller

6. Install Linux PPC from HDD

7. RAID RAID RAID

8. FAQ: comp.lang.awk: pointer

9. Raid performace issues (Raid 5 vs. Raid 0+1) with database files

10. Coral Linux must install within the first 8GB in the hard disk partition?

11. fat fs within extended partition

12. Changing Boot Partition within PC based Solaris 7

13. HELP - I need to know how to format a linux partition fron within linux