cross platform LDAP, default shell and rfc2307

cross platform LDAP, default shell and rfc2307

Post by Mike Marsha » Fri, 16 Jan 2004 03:53:21

I was a solaris only sysadmin for so long that I think of this as
my "home group" of unix experts, so please excuse this cross-platform
question...

If you have an enterprise of several variants of unix, and
all get their rfc2307 "unix profile" from a central LDAP
server, it seems like you would have to set the default shell in
the LDAP profile to some lowest common denominator, like /bin/sh, and
let the individual users deal with it on their own, like maybe spawning
the shell of their choice (maybe /bin/bash on their linux boxes,
maybe /usr/bin/csh on their solaris boxes) from their .profiles.

Is there some better solution to this problem? Does anyone else
even think it is a problem? I didn't find a bunch of people talking
about it with google...

-Mike

Post by Darren Dunha » Fri, 16 Jan 2004 04:56:41

> I was a solaris only sysadmin for so long that I think of this as
> my "home group" of unix experts, so please excuse this cross-platform
> question...
> If you have an enterprise of several variants of unix, and
> all get their rfc2307 "unix profile" from a central LDAP
> server, it seems like you would have to set the default shell in
> the LDAP profile to some lowest common denominator, like /bin/sh, and
> let the individual users deal with it on their own, like maybe spawning
> the shell of their choice (maybe /bin/bash on their linux boxes,
> maybe /usr/bin/csh on their solaris boxes) from their .profiles.
> Is there some better solution to this problem? Does anyone else
> even think it is a problem? I didn't find a bunch of people talking
> about it with google...

Seems like the same problem exists in NIS and other cross-platform
directories.  I've never had a huge problem with it.  I've generally
just used symlinks or installations on the machines to ensure users have
similar shells available.

Admittedly, I've never had to deal with Linux like this, but have done
HP-UX, Irix, AIX, SunOS, and Solaris together.  I'd usually use
something like "/usr/local/bin/bash" and "/usr/local/bin/tcsh" as
standard shells.

1. (Open)LDAP server for cross-platform authentication..

Dear netters,

Are there any tutorial for the following:

1. Setting up LDAP server on Linux  for authenticating  Linux, Windows XP,
and Solaris users.

2. Setting up the Linux, Windows, and Solaris client to use the above  LDAP
server for user login?

3. Use SSL for the above communication for security.

Thanks

2. Missing files Scilab-2.3 & Redhat 4.1

3. Cross-Platform Wav C library?

4. Help:SMC Etherpower/ 21040/tulip

5. cross platform file_updates program

6. Samba & Cups

7. wxWindows 2.4.1 for cross-platform GUI apps

8. ICQ clones?

9. Announce: lib3d-0.1.7 - Fast, Free, Cross-platform 3d

10. Cross-platform Calendar Manager?

11. REVOLUTION CROSS-PLATFORM IDE LAUNCHED

12. cross process boundary variable, similar to Event on NT platform

13. Any Comments About GTK and G++/CygWin for Cross Platform Development