Console misconfigured; how to reset ?

Post by Juan M. Courco » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

I feel a bit sheepish asking this cause it will probably be something
absolutely trivial, but...

On several occasions, while working on a SS20 or SS5 in Openwindows and
when either killing the wrong process (killing the X server in the
process) or forcing a logout from within Openwindow (instead of quitting
OW and THEN logging out), the console gets totally screwed up, filling up
with junk characters  & such. After this, you cannot even logon, cause you
can't read what the machine is displaying. The machine is ok, cause you
can telnet into it and all is working fine; it's just that the console
display gets totally confuzzed.

How do you reset just the console, without having to reboot the whole thing ?

--

Campus Queretaro

Console misconfigured; how to reset ?

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I feel a bit sheepish asking this cause it will probably be something
>absolutely trivial, but...
>On several occasions, while working on a SS20 or SS5 in Openwindows and
>when either killing the wrong process (killing the X server in the
>process) or forcing a logout from within Openwindow (instead of quitting
>OW and THEN logging out), the console gets totally screwed up, filling up
>with junk characters  & such. After this, you cannot even logon, cause you
>can't read what the machine is displaying. The machine is ok, cause you
>can telnet into it and all is working fine; it's just that the console
>display gets totally confuzzed.

There are two unrelated problems:

        kbd_mode problem.  Log in from remote and as root do
                "kbd_mode -a"

        colormap problem.  (gf = bg = smae color)
                You need something like "clear_colormap" which
                isn't standard.

The solaris FAQ says:

3.20) And what about screendump, screenload and clear_colormap?

    You can FTP Jef's screenload, screendump, etc., if you need that
    functionality, and for free you get a pixrect (clone) library.
    Get one of these:
            ftp.netcom.com:/pub/jef/raster-pixrect_30dec93.tar.Z
            ee.lbl.gov:/raster-pixrect_30dec93.tar.Z

    The 4.1.x versions of these programs will not run under
    Solaris 2.2 or later.  The pixrect BCP library is no
    longer supported.

    --- end of excerpt from the FAQ

Questions marked with a * or + have been changed or added since
the FAQ was last posted

The most recently posted version of the FAQ is available from
ftp.fwi.uva.nl in directory /pub/solaris

Console misconfigured; how to reset ?

Post by Bryan Taylo » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00

Try stty cooked or stty sane (?)

GAT d---(-+) H--- s:--- g- p? au--- a- w+ v(++) C++ US++++$L+++
P++ L++ 3- E--- N++ K- W M-- V-- po--- Y+>++ t+ !5 j++ R G?
tv-- b++ D B !e/e* u+ h--(+) f- r++ !n x?

1. Resetting Video Card from console

Every once in a while running DOSEMU from the console, a DOS VGA program
will take liberties with my video card.  When I exit DOSEMU my console
screen is gone, replaced by colored blocks where the text should be.  I
can startx and DOS-In-A-BOX looks fine.      Exiting X, the console is
still messed.   The only way to reset my video to normal seems to be
shutting down and restarting.   There must be another way to reset the
video.  Is there????

John

2. Two Net Cards

3. Need to reset root console account? help...

4. Timex Datalink Support?

5. How to reset the console remotely ????

6. Help! Adding a disk to Solaris 2.5

7. How to reset console font?

8. screen capture woes...

9. resetting a virtual console

10. SVGALIB: How to reset console after a hung application?

11. Console Log rotation - Reset/Empty file?

12. Console corrupted - How do I reset it?!

13. Resetting console's colormap to sanity. Possible?