How to Restoring a DiskSuite Configuration from Backup Tapes?

How to Restoring a DiskSuite Configuration from Backup Tapes?

Post by craig.field.. » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 03:31:19

I need to replace all the disks in an E3500 server which currently has all
its
disks mirrored.

What I would like to do is boot into single-user mode, make a full tape
backup,
remove the old drives and install the new ones, and then restore the
configuration to the new drives.

When I tried doing this I ran into a catch-22 situation.  I booting off cdrom

and restored the root and usr file systems, then I edited /etc/vfstab and
/etc/system to remove the DiskSuite configuartion information and rebooted
from
disk.  It failed miserably.  I also tried mounting the usr partition to gain
access to the DiskSuite binaries, but this doesn't seem to work either because

the kernel hasn't loaded the necessary meta drivers and the binaries won't
run.

I have to imagine there is a way to do this or else it would not be possible
to recover from certain types of failure.  For example, what if a server
caught
fire and the filesystyems had to be restored from offsite backups.

Any advice that could be provided would be most appreciated. To be honest I
think that if I can find a way to restore usr and root the rest will be easy.

Post by Scott MacKa » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:31:53

> I need to replace all the disks in an E3500 server which currently has all
> its
> disks mirrored.

> What I would like to do is boot into single-user mode, make a full tape
> backup,
> remove the old drives and install the new ones, and then restore the
> configuration to the new drives.

> When I tried doing this I ran into a catch-22 situation.  I booting off cdrom

> and restored the root and usr file systems, then I edited /etc/vfstab and
> /etc/system to remove the DiskSuite configuartion information and rebooted
> from
> disk.

Maybe something simple, did you remember to do the installboot on the
new disks?
Also, did you retain the metadb information anywhere?  Those don't
reside on filesystems, so a ufsdump won't catch it for a later
rebuild...

Quote:> It failed miserably.  I also tried mounting the usr partition to gain
> access to the DiskSuite binaries, but this doesn't seem to work either because

> the kernel hasn't loaded the necessary meta drivers and the binaries won't
> run.

> I have to imagine there is a way to do this or else it would not be possible
> to recover from certain types of failure.  For example, what if a server
> caught
> fire and the filesystyems had to be restored from offsite backups.

> Any advice that could be provided would be most appreciated. To be honest I
> think that if I can find a way to restore usr and root the rest will be easy.

In general I believe you would (just general thoughts, may require
tuning)
1) Make sure you have a copy of the metadbs on the filesystem.  What I
do is use 'dd' to rip a copy of each metadb to file so the metadbs will
be caught by the ufsdumps
2) When you need to rebuild, do the minimal first.  Get your / /usr
back, whatever you need to boot.  Restore the rest once the system can
boot off its own FSes.
For the restore:
1) Repartition all your disks like the originals, based on your system
book info.
I have not tried, but it probably would be best NOT to install your
mirror disks if possible (so when you reboot they will be marked as bad
and you can resync from the later ufsrestore)
2) Restore your minimal disks
3) Restore the metadb slices
4) installboot your boot disk
Once rebuilt, reboot.
On reboot, when the mirrors fail (because disks not present), insert
disks (if hot spare) or power down to install disks and reboot.
Overall, I would do this so the mirrors are marked as dead
appropriately.
use the metareplace to resync all boot mirrors
metareplace any data mirrors which are bad, gernerally get remaining
disks ready and ufsrestore the remaining material.

-Scott

--
-----
"This posting reflects the views of the poster and does not reflect the

1. Questions about a disksuite / tape backup method.

I plan to swap out a mirrored hard drive every Monday and vault it
it until the following Monday. I hope to perform incremental
backups of all file systems to single tape on Thursday through Sunday.

Any quick pointers on how to metadetach the root slices and
still keep them in usable?

How can you update /etc/dumpdates every Sunday to tell it that
you backed up all file systems (on the mirrored hard drive) without
actually dumping all file systems to tape?

Does the /dev/rmt/0n reliably dump multiple file systems on a single
tape, or is that a bad idea?

TIA.

2. LILO: Booting Dos from 3rd SCSI-Drive?

3. How to Restore a JFS From Tape Written by 'backup'

4. Splitting NFS traffic between 2 ethernet interfaces

5. Systen restore from backup tape.

6. How many disks 2.6 for INtel

7. Tape backup/restore utilities

8. No-hassle X installation, make/model?

9. Amanda Restore from backup tape!!!

10. Restoring system from tape backup (how ?)

11. Problems restoring from backup tapes

12. Restore from VMS BACKUP tapes

13. How do I restore my tape backup?