Solaris 2.4 and 6.4 GB Quantum Fireball format

Post by P L Robert Danielsson-Oldbe » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello.

I've recently been trying to install and format a 6.4 GB
Quantum Fireball on a SPARC2 with solaris 2.4 (sun4m kernel).
The SCSI disk is external, and attached to the builtin SCSI
controller via the normal port. There is no device conflict,
it has a unique ID of 1.

Hardware installation and disk detection (reconfig boot)
went well, and the disk shows up in format as c0t1d0, a
Quantum Fireball ST 6.4S-0F0C cyl 7066 alt 2 hd 8 sec 159.
(Hmm, isn't that just 4.2 GB, not 6.4?)

BUT (and it's a big but(t)), when I try to format it, the
system load will rise rapidly, until the system hangs.

I've been looking for known problems and finding a patch
for this problem, both in this forum, and at access1.sun.com
to no avail, so now I ask you:

Has anyone encountered similar problems/done a similar
installation successfully?

Does anyone have an idea of what my problem might be.

        regards,

                        Robert D:son Oldberg

--
Robert    |GCS/S/MU d-- h--- s+:  g+- au+ a- w++ v-(++) C++++ U++++ S+ P- L 3
Danielsson|R+++ N+++ K- W--- M-- V- -po+ Y+ t+ !5 j- r+ tv- b+ D- B? e+++ u+++

Solaris 2.4 and 6.4 GB Quantum Fireball format

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I've recently been trying to install and format a 6.4 GB
>Quantum Fireball on a SPARC2 with solaris 2.4 (sun4m kernel).
>The SCSI disk is external, and attached to the builtin SCSI
>controller via the normal port. There is no device conflict,
>it has a unique ID of 1.

SPARC2 doesn't have a sun4m kernel.

I'd suggest taking the drive to a system with a newer release
of Solaris;

Quote:>Hardware installation and disk detection (reconfig boot)
>went well, and the disk shows up in format as c0t1d0, a
>Quantum Fireball ST 6.4S-0F0C cyl 7066 alt 2 hd 8 sec 159.
>(Hmm, isn't that just 4.2 GB, not 6.4?)

That doesn't look correct.  Have you tried "format -e" (expert).
And/or scsiinfo?

Quote:>BUT (and it's a big but(t)), when I try to format it, the
>system load will rise rapidly, until the system hangs.

What scsi_options have you set? If you have disabled disconnect,
that's pretty much what will happen.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Solaris 2.4 and 6.4 GB Quantum Fireball format

Post by P L Robert Danielsson-Oldbe » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>[[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]

>>I've recently been trying to install and format a 6.4 GB
>>Quantum Fireball on a SPARC2 with solaris 2.4 (sun4m kernel).
>>The SCSI disk is external, and attached to the builtin SCSI
>>controller via the normal port. There is no device conflict,
>>it has a unique ID of 1.

>SPARC2 doesn't have a sun4m kernel.

Then either am I mistaken on the hardware, or showrev -a
lies to me. I tend to trust showrev in this case :) I just
looked at the size of the pizza box, and decided considering
its age that it was too old to be a Sparc5, so it ought to
be a sparc2.

Quote:>I'd suggest taking the drive to a system with a newer release
>of Solaris;

That was my suggetion a year ago, but the man with the wallet
says no. The machine is working perfectly with the exception
that it has a bit too little storage. The rest is ok. It is
used as a server for a bunch of Mac's. It's one of our busiest
small servers, a lot of people depend on it, so I HATE to take
it offline. I try not to get to BOFH-ish ... Especially when
I know people are under time pressure and need the systems.

Quote:>>Hardware installation and disk detection (reconfig boot)
>>went well, and the disk shows up in format as c0t1d0, a
>>Quantum Fireball ST 6.4S-0F0C cyl 7066 alt 2 hd 8 sec 159.
>>(Hmm, isn't that just 4.2 GB, not 6.4?)

>That doesn't look correct.  Have you tried "format -e" (expert).
>And/or scsiinfo?

I tried format -e, went in and had a look, but didn't change a
thing. I'm not used to handling disks at so low a level. Format
and mkfs (newfs) has sufficed for me until this date. Wonderful,
a new little piece to learn.

Quote:>>BUT (and it's a big but(t)), when I try to format it, the
>>system load will rise rapidly, until the system hangs.

>What scsi_options have you set? If you have disabled disconnect,
>that's pretty much what will happen.

Ahh! Here's a really good clue! I'll have a look. (The damn
thing is in another building ...) This might very well be it,
since the disk has previously been used a short while in a
(yuck!) macintosh. I think they use some wierd SCSI settings.

Thank you, this might be a good step forward.

        Robert

--
Robert    |GCS/S/MU d-- h--- s+:  g+- au+ a- w++ v-(++) C++++ U++++ S+ P- L 3
Danielsson|R+++ N+++ K- W--- M-- V- -po+ Y+ t+ !5 j- r+ tv- b+ D- B? e+++ u+++
Oldberg   |G''' h--- !f r+++ n--- y? E--- H- http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d9rd

Solaris 2.4 and 6.4 GB Quantum Fireball format

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Then either am I mistaken on the hardware, or showrev -a
>lies to me. I tend to trust showrev in this case :) I just
>looked at the size of the pizza box, and decided considering
>its age that it was too old to be a Sparc5, so it ought to
>be a sparc2.

sparc2 <= 5 years old; perhaps an SS10?

Quote:>>That doesn't look correct.  Have you tried "format -e" (expert).
>>And/or scsiinfo?
>I tried format -e, went in and had a look, but didn't change a
>thing. I'm not used to handling disks at so low a level. Format
>and mkfs (newfs) has sufficed for me until this date. Wonderful,
>a new little piece to learn.

Try and fetch scsinfo and let it lose on the disk.  It shoudl give
you a usable format.dat entry.

Post by Joerg Schilli » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>[[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]

>>Then either am I mistaken on the hardware, or showrev -a
>>lies to me. I tend to trust showrev in this case :) I just
>>looked at the size of the pizza box, and decided considering
>>its age that it was too old to be a Sparc5, so it ought to
>>be a sparc2.

>sparc2 <= 5 years old; perhaps an SS10?

Sparc-2 >= 5 Years old (first beta shipment in 1990)

Quote:>>>That doesn't look correct.  Have you tried "format -e" (expert).
>>>And/or scsiinfo?

>>I tried format -e, went in and had a look, but didn't change a
>>thing. I'm not used to handling disks at so low a level. Format
>>and mkfs (newfs) has sufficed for me until this date. Wonderful,
>>a new little piece to learn.

'sformat' should handle it.

ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/sformat

Joerg
--

Solaris 2.4 and 6.4 GB Quantum Fireball format

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Sparc-2 >= 5 Years old (first beta shipment in 1990)

Sorry, that's what I meant; last shipment in '93.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Solaris 2.4 and 6.4 GB Quantum Fireball format

Post by Andrew Gabri » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>What scsi_options have you set? If you have disabled disconnect,
>that's pretty much what will happen.

Whilst this isn't related to the original poster's problem,
I'll just warn in advance that I have had to disable tagged
command queueing on a Quantum Fireball I added to a Sparc LX
here. I suspect the Quantum Fireball doesn't handle it
correctly.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer