Solaris9 vs. Solaris9 9/04

Solaris9 vs. Solaris9 9/04

Post by noon » Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:13:10



I have an installation of a Solaris9 release that is earlier than Solaris9
9/04. It is not even Solaris9 9/02, based on /etc/release.

My question is, isn't any release of Solaris9 really just Solaris9 plus
all the cluster patches ?

For example, docs.sun.com says that Solaris9 4/03 has "Multiterabyte
support for Solaris Volume Manager" as a new feature. Do I get this
feature by simply installing the latest cluster patches ?

 
 
 

Solaris9 vs. Solaris9 9/04

Post by Matt » Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:23:15



> I have an installation of a Solaris9 release that is earlier than Solaris9
> 9/04. It is not even Solaris9 9/02, based on /etc/release.

> My question is, isn't any release of Solaris9 really just Solaris9 plus
> all the cluster patches ?

> For example, docs.sun.com says that Solaris9 4/03 has "Multiterabyte
> support for Solaris Volume Manager" as a new feature. Do I get this
> feature by simply installing the latest cluster patches ?

Cluster patches are only maintainance. Equivilant of an IRIX Maintainance
release.

Relating to Solaris 9, why not install Solaris 10? its a free download!

Matt

 
 
 

Solaris9 vs. Solaris9 9/04

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:58:20



>I have an installation of a Solaris9 release that is earlier than Solaris9
>9/04. It is not even Solaris9 9/02, based on /etc/release.
>My question is, isn't any release of Solaris9 really just Solaris9 plus
>all the cluster patches ?

No; the updates include new packages which aren't installed
by patches.

Quote:>For example, docs.sun.com says that Solaris9 4/03 has "Multiterabyte
>support for Solaris Volume Manager" as a new feature. Do I get this
>feature by simply installing the latest cluster patches ?

Possibly.

Casper

 
 
 

Solaris9 vs. Solaris9 9/04

Post by noon » Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:31:45




>>For example, docs.sun.com says that Solaris9 4/03 has "Multiterabyte
>>support for Solaris Volume Manager" as a new feature. Do I get this
>>feature by simply installing the latest cluster patches ?

> Possibly.

> Casper

Answering my own question.

The main patch to achieve multiterabyte support is patch 114131-02. The
README then mentions other patches to achieve full multi-TB support.

 
 
 

Solaris9 vs. Solaris9 9/04

Post by noon » Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:51:12





>>> For example, docs.sun.com says that Solaris9 4/03 has "Multiterabyte
>>> support for Solaris Volume Manager" as a new feature. Do I get this
>>> feature by simply installing the latest cluster patches ?

>> Possibly.

>> Casper

> Answering my own question.

> The main patch to achieve multiterabyte support is patch 114131-02. The
> README then mentions other patches to achieve full multi-TB support.

Funnily enough, Sun support said that I MUST install 9 4/03 to get
multiterabyte support, despite what the patch README says
 
 
 

Solaris9 vs. Solaris9 9/04

Post by Rich Tee » Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:22:05



> For example, docs.sun.com says that Solaris9 4/03 has "Multiterabyte
> support for Solaris Volume Manager" as a new feature. Do I get this
> feature by simply installing the latest cluster patches ?

Not likely.  As a rule, new features aren't added via patches, although
there are some exceptions.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, author of "Solaris Systems Programming"

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
URL: http://www.rite-group.com/rich

 
 
 

Solaris9 vs. Solaris9 9/04

Post by noon » Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:57:23




>>For example, docs.sun.com says that Solaris9 4/03 has "Multiterabyte
>>support for Solaris Volume Manager" as a new feature. Do I get this
>>feature by simply installing the latest cluster patches ?

> Not likely.  As a rule, new features aren't added via patches, although
> there are some exceptions.

In this case, the Multiterabyt feature is actually available via a group
of patches. Possibly starting with patch 114131-02 and then the other
patches indicated in the README file
 
 
 

Solaris9 vs. Solaris9 9/04

Post by noon » Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:15:59



> Relating to Solaris 9, why not install Solaris 10? its a free download!

> Matt

Because what I intend to run on it is not yet certified for Solaris10,
only Solaris9 at this point.
 
 
 

1. Solaris9 4/04: which USB hubs work?

Which USB hubs work on Solaris9?  I couldn't find anything on USB hubs on
the HCL. I can only consider recommendations for USB hubs which you're
currently using under Solaris.

I have a D-Link DSB-H4 hub which is an "unrecognized" USB device under
Solaris, reported as "disconnected", so it doesn't work, nor are any devices
connected to it seen by the system.

2. FreeBSD as a Proxy Server

3. Solaris9 Volume Manager Vs Veritas Volume Manager

4. US robotics model 0766 (winmodem) redhat 8.0 driver

5. Q: GNU binutils vs. Solaris9 binutils

6. Recording and playing sound on Creative SB64 PCI

7. Please help! L 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 10 10 10 10 04 10ILO

8. UNIX SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATION SKILLS NEEDED

9. L 04 04 04 04 ...

10. solaris9 configure error with samba3

11. Solaris9: programmatic equivalent of modload possible?

12. jumpstart SOLARIS9

13. Failed Solaris9 CD boot on Ultra 10: Fast Data Access MMU Miss