Any way to get man pages into html, or html converters?

Any way to get man pages into html, or html converters?

Post by Brian S. Craigie - Unix SA - NEC - Scotla » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi All,

Does anybody know if there is a way to get the solaris (2.5) man pages into HTML
format (I know nothing of the format, except I can make html pages with
gnnpress) or has anybody already done it?

Also, a lot of our system documentation has been written by us in WordPerfect
(6.1) and we'd like to find a way to convert these documents to html, preserving
as much as possible the text formatting and encapsulated postscript diagrams.
Any suggestions?

Any suggestions of other more suitable newsgroups if this is not appropriate
here?

Many thanks.

--

Best Regards,

Brian Craigie

Unix Sys Admin

My views are not necessarily those of my employers...

<<< Would sixty gallons be sufficient? -- Robby the Robot >>>

Any way to get man pages into html, or html converters?

Post by Brian S. Craigie - Unix SA - NEC - Scotla » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:> Hi All,

> Does anybody know if there is a way to get the solaris (2.5) man pages into
HTML
> format (I know nothing of the format, except I can make html pages with
> gnnpress) or has anybody already done it?

Gosh!  I used one of the standard search engines with "html+ converters" and Lo!
and behold!  There are loads of them about.

rtf to html, mail to html, man to html, word to html, wordperfect to html!!

Cheers, all.

--

Best Regards,

Brian Craigie

Unix Sys Admin

My views are not necessarily those of my employers...

<<< Would sixty gallons be sufficient? -- Robby the Robot >>>

Any way to get man pages into html, or html converters?

Post by Luca Pol » Tue, 24 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anybody know  if there is a  way to get the  solaris (2.5)  man pages
> into HTML format  (I know nothing  of the format, except  I can make  html
> pages with gnnpress) or has anybody already done it?

I tried this, just for fun, a while ago: I  simply made up a "tab.html" file
in /usr/share/lib/nterm,  containg  HTML tags  instead  of escape sequences.
This way, I can simply issue a

                   "nroff -man -Thtml /path/to/man/page"

to  obtain    a    man   page  in    HTML   format.    Take  a     look   to
http://www.gest.unipd.it/~jake/man for some examples and for "tab.html".

Note that the whole thing is not very refined:  I did it just  to see how it
would have  looked, so there are some  oddities  (e.g.: lines such "#include
<stdio.h>":  here "<stdio.h>  looks  like an unrecognized  HTML  tag and, as
such, ignored and not displayed).

I also   tried a cgi  script to  interactively ask for   a man  page,  but I
accidentally deleted it... :-(

Regards,
Luca Polo.