Multi boot on x86 - how?

Post by Ivan Rayn » Thu, 02 May 1996 04:00:00

I have solaris x86 2.5 installed on my first hd as a master drive on
the first ide port.  I have windows95 installed on my 2nd hd as a
master on the 2nd ide port.  (I have my cdrom as a slave on the 1st
ide port.)

There does not seem to be a way that I can boot windows.  It would
seem I should configure the /etc/bootrc file, but I'm not sure how.  Or
is there another way?

Can anyone tell me how I can tell solaris to let me boot win95?

Thanks,
Ivan

Multi boot on x86 - how?

Post by Andrew Gabri » Thu, 02 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have solaris x86 2.5 installed on my first hd as a master drive on
>the first ide port.  I have windows95 installed on my 2nd hd as a
>master on the 2nd ide port.  (I have my cdrom as a slave on the 1st
>ide port.)

>There does not seem to be a way that I can boot windows.  It would
>seem I should configure the /etc/bootrc file, but I'm not sure how.  Or
>is there another way?

The solaris boot manager will only boot other operating systems
from the same drive, so it can't do it.

The Solaris boot diskette can boot operating systems from any drive,
so you could use that, but it's not fast. (You can make it a lot
faster by copying the disk, and renaming all the *.bef files except
the one you want to something else, e.g. *.xxx).

I don't know if Win95 supports being booted off a drive other than
the first - not all OS's do. (Solaris does.)

Quote:

>Can anyone tell me how I can tell solaris to let me boot win95?

You need a multi-boot that supports multiple drives. I believe the
following do, but I've not tried any of them for this:
  OS/2 boot manager
  LILO (Linux Loader)
  System Commander (commercial program)

You might also have to swap your drives so Win95 is on the first one,
if it doesn't support being on any other (you can try this out using
the Solaris boot floppy). If you do swap, you will also have to change
your /etc/vfstab and /etc/bootrc files on Solaris to allow for it
being the other disk.

Good luck,
--

Multi boot on x86 - how?

Post by Thomas Griffin » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

> I have solaris x86 2.5 installed on my first hd as a master drive on
> the first ide port.  I have windows95 installed on my 2nd hd as a
> master on the 2nd ide port.  (I have my cdrom as a slave on the 1st
> ide port.)

> There does not seem to be a way that I can boot windows.  It would
> seem I should configure the /etc/bootrc file, but I'm not sure how.

By default, PC's boot from the C: drive.  Sounds like your C: drive
is configured as a Solaris-only disk, and will by default boot only
Solaris.

What you need is a "boot loader" program, like the one that comes with
the LInux LOader (LILO).  It installs a program on the first drive
(C:), outside of the normal C: disk space - in the MBR (Master Boot
Record).  When the PC begins booting, it loads runs program.  The boot
loader can then tell the PC to start loading boot information ... even
from a secondary disk.

I have seen commercial boot loaders that are advertised to work with
many OS'es.

I have been using Linux and LILO for almost 3 years now, without any
major problems.  I have used it with up to 3 bootable partitions:
Linux, MS-DOG, and UnixWare.

Oh ... one problem I did have was when I tried to load Windoze '95.
It messed with the low-level formatting of my SCSI disk, but luckily,
I only had to re-do the MS-DOG partition.

Hope this helps,

--
      ---------#######-----######---######---    Thomas L. Griffing    ---
      --------##-----##--##-----#----##------ Programmer & Consultant  ---

      ------##------##--######-----##-------------------------------------
      -----##------##--------##---##---------  Dallas Softworks, Inc.  ---
      ----##-----##---#-----##---##---------- "making technology work" ---
      ---#######------######--######---------  http://www.dsworks.com  ---

Multi boot on x86 - how?

Post by Kevin Leighto » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

--

> What you need is a "boot loader" program, like the one that comes with
> the LInux LOader (LILO).  It installs a program on the first drive
> (C:), outside of the normal C: disk space - in the MBR (Master Boot
> Record).  When the PC begins booting, it loads runs program.  The boot
> loader can then tell the PC to start loading boot information ... even
> from a secondary disk.

I have Windows95 and Solaris share the same disk and I set the "active" partition
to the Solaris slice, and in the OS, a utility prompts you for a boot partition.
Should be part of the Solaris distribution..

Works for me.... Maybe I was lucky. ?

Good luck, may the schwartz be with ya. Kevin

1. ? multi home + multi cgi, multi email, multi log, multi support

Is there any httpd package that could do not only multi web-home
setup, but also
        email for multi-doamin-names with their own domain-name;
        store log files for each domain-name in their own location;
        setup cgi-bin for each domain-name to have their own directory;
        support autherization and configuration for their own home
?

Does Netscape do that, OpenMarket do that, Or otehrs?

Thanks,

zhao

2. load balancing (aggregation) for multiple pppoe connections to same ISP

3. Multi-processor/multi-threaded programs on Solaris X86

4. gs (Ghostscript) gives memory trap.

5. Solaris x86 multi-boot

6. Infinite "hdc: packet command error" messages

7. Solaris 2.5 x86 & Windows95 Multi-boot

8. mod_php3 - Can't find ndbm.h

9. Multi-boot with Solaris x86 on 2nd hard drive

10. Multi-Boot Solaris 2.5 x86 & Win95?

11. x86 multi boot

12. x86 multi-boot

13. Multi-Boot Solaris 2.5 x86 & Win95?