Solaris 2.2 drives on Solaris 2.1

Post by Steve May » Sun, 09 Oct 1994 07:09:38

I'm really not to familar with UNIX Hardware....

I have an external SCSI drive subsystem (2 - 2.2 GB drives)  that is
currently hooked up to a SUN SparcStation LX running Solaris 2.2.   I'd
like to move it to my other LX running Solaris 2.1.  The d

Do the drives need to be reformatted/partitioned/???  Or will drives setup
on Solaris 2.2 run on Solaris 2.1 if I take care of the drive mounting
files on the Soalris 2.1 side.  Right now the drives are 1 partition each
and just how I want it.

What files need to be altered on the Solaris 2.1 side to be able to mount
these drives ??

Thanks in advance for any help,
STEVE
    _/_/_/    _/_/_/   _/_/_/    Steve G. Maybo
   _/   _/     _/    _/          Network Systems Analyst
  _/_/_/      _/     _/_/_/      RESEARCH INFORMATION SYSTEMS
 _/   _/     _/          _/

Post by Casper H.S. D » Sun, 09 Oct 1994 21:12:23

>I have an external SCSI drive subsystem (2 - 2.2 GB drives)  that is
>currently hooked up to a SUN SparcStation LX running Solaris 2.2.   I'd
>like to move it to my other LX running Solaris 2.1.  The d

Are you some kind of *?  Solaris 2.2? And even Solaris 2.1.

Quote:>Do the drives need to be reformatted/partitioned/???  Or will drives setup
>on Solaris 2.2 run on Solaris 2.1 if I take care of the drive mounting
>files on the Soalris 2.1 side.  Right now the drives are 1 partition each
>and just how I want it.

Just mount them, it should be no problem.

Casper

1. Solaris 2.2 binaries running on Solaris 2.1

Hello,

        We've got a package consisting of a large amount of Fortran and C.
Each program also comes in two forms; a text based version and an X windows
version. The software we use is the SPARC f77 compiler, and gcc.

        Now we're having quite horrid problems with our binaries. We try and
build them as statically as possible (ie all libraries static except libdl) so
that they should, theoretically, be as portible as possible. However the
upgrade has proved this to be a falicy. The solaris 2.1 X programs cannot
connect to your DISPLAY when ran on solaris 2.2. Similarly the same seems to
work backwards (2.2binaries (with the later hacks to get them working) on
2.1). In this latter case, linking dynamicically libsocket appears to cure
things. It seems that the 2.2 socket code does things that 2.1 does not like.

        However, even more problems abound. We cannot stick purely to dynamic
linking as that requires the fortran dynamic libraries on all systems the
software is to run on. Now here comes the oddities. Linking libF77 statically
on 2.2 and running on 2.1 causes an illegal instruction for all the X based
versions, but not the non X programs (despite the fact that our Fortran code
does no hacky calls to X). It all works hunky dorey if we dynamic link libF77,
but as I said before, this requires the SPARC compiler on 2.1 (which in our
case does exist).

        Has anyone else experienced such oddities as this? Am I to conclude
that the only solution is to have two sets of binaries - 2.1 and 2.2?

        Any help much appreciated.

                James

2. RH5 127.0.0.0/1

3. Solaris 2.1 printing sucks (was Re: problem with lpstat with Solaris 2.1)

4. where is the solaris encryption kit?

5. What versions of SunOS come with Solaris 2.1,2.2, and 2.3?

6. Red Hat 7.0 sread directory

7. The differences beteween Solaris 2.1 & 2.2?

8. Uninstall a package???!!!

9. resolution to "top" causing Solaris 2.1 panic (fixed in 2.2)

10. Solaris 2.1 and 2.2 keep crashing

11. is solaris 2.2 much better than 2.1?

12. Solaris 2.1 -> 2.2 upgrade problems

13. Solaris 2.1 -> 2.2 upgrade fails