E3000 unbootable...

Post by Noel R. Nihi » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 05:24:34

Greetings...

For various silly reasons, I was asked to ufsrestore
a root filesystem backup from an E3500 to an E3000.
Yes, yes, I know...but I left /etc/vfstab intact.

The OS version on these particular servers is 2.5.1.

So I booted from a CD, mounted the rootslice and read
the image in from tape.

On reboot:

Rebooting with command: boot -r

boot: cannot open kernel/unix
Enter filename [kernel/unix]:

Now, it dawned on me that the reconfiguration boot only builds /dev and
/devices as loopback mounts on miniroots' /tmp, so I did the following:

boot cdrom -s
mount /dev/dsk/c0t10d0s0 /mnt
cd /mnt
rm -rf dev/
rm -rf devices/
cd /
drvconfig -r /mnt
disks -r /mnt
tapes -r /mnt
devlinks -r /mnt
installboot /mnt/usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t10d0s0
umount /mnt
fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t10d0s0 [fixed superblock]
init 0
boot -r

...same thing. I don't rightly know how to proceed at this point.

Am I perchance being spectacularly dense here?

_________________________
Noel R. Nihill
UNIX? platform development
Motorola NSS.
_________________________

E3000 unbootable...

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 06:53:24

> Greetings...

> For various silly reasons, I was asked to ufsrestore
> a root filesystem backup from an E3500 to an E3000.
> Yes, yes, I know...but I left /etc/vfstab intact.

> The OS version on these particular servers is 2.5.1.

> So I booted from a CD, mounted the rootslice and read
> the image in from tape.

> On reboot:

> Rebooting with command: boot -r

> boot: cannot open kernel/unix
> Enter filename [kernel/unix]:

> Now, it dawned on me that the reconfiguration boot only builds /dev and
> /devices as loopback mounts on miniroots' /tmp, so I did the following:

> boot cdrom -s
> mount /dev/dsk/c0t10d0s0 /mnt
> cd /mnt
> rm -rf dev/
> rm -rf devices/
> cd /
> drvconfig -r /mnt
> disks -r /mnt
> tapes -r /mnt
> devlinks -r /mnt
> installboot /mnt/usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t10d0s0
> umount /mnt
> fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t10d0s0 [fixed superblock]
> init 0
> boot -r

> ...same thing. I don't rightly know how to proceed at this point.

        Well you shouldn't try to copy the root partition from one machine to
another.  Load SOLARIS on the UE3500 from the CD-ROM and then copy over
the bits from the UE3000's backup tape that you need.

Quote:> Am I perchance being spectacularly dense here?

        Not spectacularly, no.

                        Hope this helps,
                                Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.

E3000 unbootable...

Post by Paul Robertso » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 07:20:05

> Greetings...

> For various silly reasons, I was asked to ufsrestore
> a root filesystem backup from an E3500 to an E3000.
> Yes, yes, I know...but I left /etc/vfstab intact.

> The OS version on these particular servers is 2.5.1.

> So I booted from a CD, mounted the rootslice and read
> the image in from tape.

> On reboot:

> Rebooting with command: boot -r

> boot: cannot open kernel/unix
> Enter filename [kernel/unix]:

> Now, it dawned on me that the reconfiguration boot only builds /dev and
> /devices as loopback mounts on miniroots' /tmp, so I did the following:

> boot cdrom -s
> mount /dev/dsk/c0t10d0s0 /mnt
> cd /mnt
> rm -rf dev/
> rm -rf devices/
> cd /
> drvconfig -r /mnt
> disks -r /mnt
> tapes -r /mnt
> devlinks -r /mnt
> installboot /mnt/usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rd
> umount /mnt
> fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t10d0s0 [fixed superblock]
> init 0
> boot -r

> ...same thing. I don't rightly know how to proceed at this point.

> Am I perchance being spectacularly dense here?

Noel,

If the original E3500 root disk was one of the drives internal to the
chasis, then it is a fibre disk with an associated world-wide
number. Since the new root disk on the E3000 does not have the same
world wide number, the E3000 is unable to boot.

Sun has an SRDB available at sunsolve.sun.com for the procedure you
need to follow:

 SRDB ID 17643 "Recovering from a failed FCAL boot disk".

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Robertson

E3000 unbootable...

Post by Noel R. Nihi » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 20:57:37

> > Greetings...

> > For various silly reasons, I was asked to ufsrestore
> > a root filesystem backup from an E3500 to an E3000.
> > Yes, yes, I know...but I left /etc/vfstab intact.

> > The OS version on these particular servers is 2.5.1.

> > So I booted from a CD, mounted the rootslice and read
> > the image in from tape.

> > On reboot:

> > Rebooting with command: boot -r

> > boot: cannot open kernel/unix
> > Enter filename [kernel/unix]:

> > Now, it dawned on me that the reconfiguration boot only builds /dev and
> > /devices as loopback mounts on miniroots' /tmp, so I did the following:

> > boot cdrom -s
> > mount /dev/dsk/c0t10d0s0 /mnt
> > cd /mnt
> > rm -rf dev/
> > rm -rf devices/
> > cd /
> > drvconfig -r /mnt
> > disks -r /mnt
> > tapes -r /mnt
> > devlinks -r /mnt
> > installboot /mnt/usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t10d0s0
> > umount /mnt
> > fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t10d0s0 [fixed superblock]
> > init 0
> > boot -r

> > ...same thing. I don't rightly know how to proceed at this point.

>    Well you shouldn't try to copy the root partition from one machine to
> another.  Load SOLARIS on the UE3500 from the CD-ROM and then copy over
> the bits from the UE3000's backup tape that you need.

Absolutely. This plan was dreamed up by one of our customer
support offices in Germany. I genuinely don't care if it
turns out to be undoable. But if it is doomed to failure,
I want to fully understand *why*.

(BTW, the backup tape was made on the E3500, for
 restoring to the E3000, not vice-versa...)

Quote:> > Am I perchance being spectacularly dense here?

>    Not spectacularly, no.

>                    Hope this helps,
>                            Don

That's a relief ;-)

_________________________
Noel R. Nihill
UNIX? platform development
Motorola NSS.
_________________________

E3000 unbootable...

Post by B.Lombard 7419-0o0 » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 22:01:28

> Greetings...

> For various silly reasons, I was asked to ufsrestore
> a root filesystem backup from an E3500 to an E3000.
> Yes, yes, I know...but I left /etc/vfstab intact.

> The OS version on these particular servers is 2.5.1.

> So I booted from a CD, mounted the rootslice and read
> the image in from tape.

> On reboot:

> Rebooting with command: boot -r

> boot: cannot open kernel/unix
> Enter filename [kernel/unix]:

> Now, it dawned on me that the reconfiguration boot only builds /dev and
> /devices as loopback mounts on miniroots' /tmp, so I did the following:

> boot cdrom -s
> mount /dev/dsk/c0t10d0s0 /mnt
> cd /mnt
> rm -rf dev/
> rm -rf devices/
> cd /
> drvconfig -r /mnt
> disks -r /mnt
> tapes -r /mnt
> devlinks -r /mnt
> installboot /mnt/usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t10d0s0
> umount /mnt
> fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t10d0s0 [fixed superblock]
> init 0
> boot -r

> ...same thing. I don't rightly know how to proceed at this point.

> Am I perchance being spectacularly dense here?

> _________________________
> Noel R. Nihill
> UNIX? platform development
> Motorola NSS.
> _________________________

This problem (for me) occur when there is no link from /platform/`uname
-i' tp /platform/sun4u
The machine can find : /platform/SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise/kernel/unix

E3000 unbootable...

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 03:59:49

>>>Greetings...

>>>For various silly reasons, I was asked to ufsrestore
>>>a root filesystem backup from an E3500 to an E3000.
>>>Yes, yes, I know...but I left /etc/vfstab intact.

>>>The OS version on these particular servers is 2.5.1.

>>>So I booted from a CD, mounted the rootslice and read
>>>the image in from tape.

>>>On reboot:

>>>Rebooting with command: boot -r

>>>boot: cannot open kernel/unix
>>>Enter filename [kernel/unix]:

>>>Now, it dawned on me that the reconfiguration boot only builds /dev and
>>>/devices as loopback mounts on miniroots' /tmp, so I did the following:

>>>boot cdrom -s
>>>mount /dev/dsk/c0t10d0s0 /mnt
>>>cd /mnt
>>>rm -rf dev/
>>>rm -rf devices/
>>>cd /
>>>drvconfig -r /mnt
>>>disks -r /mnt
>>>tapes -r /mnt
>>>devlinks -r /mnt
>>>installboot /mnt/usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t10d0s0
>>>umount /mnt
>>>fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t10d0s0 [fixed superblock]
>>>init 0
>>>boot -r

>>>...same thing. I don't rightly know how to proceed at this point.

>>        Well you shouldn't try to copy the root partition from one machine to
>>another.  Load SOLARIS on the UE3500 from the CD-ROM and then copy over
>>the bits from the UE3000's backup tape that you need.

> Absolutely. This plan was dreamed up by one of our customer
> support offices in Germany. I genuinely don't care if it
> turns out to be undoable. But if it is doomed to failure,
> I want to fully understand *why*.

        I'm never burdened by that desire.  :-)

                Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.
* Baltimore, MD       *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
***********************             "Outlaw Josey Wales"

1. Adding hard drive makes Linux unbootable

I have a JAZ drive (SCSI) on my system which was powered down when
I installed Linux.  If the JAZ is powered on when I boot, Linux is
unable to boot.

The system is set up with four hard drives, and had Win2K installed
prior to installing Linux.  I boot Linux off a floppy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. X config for Gateway 2000

3. lilo making nt unbootable

4. CRON jobs not running

5. Unbootable System after ELF upgrade

6. Learning Linux/UNIX

7. Help: Hard disk unbootable (possible MBR issue)!

8. Documentation error for kconfig

9. 'Maximize' command in cfdisk make my box unbootable!

10. Unbootable harddisk...

11. Badblock scan at 2.1.5 install time renders disk unbootable ?

12. Please help me w/ unbootable machine

13. Unbootable mksysb - H E L P !