cases of Ultra 30, Ultra 60 and Ultra 450 and PC components

cases of Ultra 30, Ultra 60 and Ultra 450 and PC components

Post by Matthias Werne » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Has anybody got an idea if you can put standard PC components (mainboard,
HDs, CD-ROM and 3,5" floppy) into the case of a Ultra 30, 60 or 450
workstation?

Thanks in advance
Matthias Werner

cases of Ultra 30, Ultra 60 and Ultra 450 and PC components

Post by Marc Kon » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Of course one begs the question why would you want to? However,
everything but the mainboard would be no problem because the hard
drives, cd and floppy are pretty much standard components just like
those used in high end pcs...
regards

>Has anybody got an idea if you can put standard PC components (mainboard,
>HDs, CD-ROM and 3,5" floppy) into the case of a Ultra 30, 60 or 450
>workstation?
>Thanks in advance
>Matthias Werner

cases of Ultra 30, Ultra 60 and Ultra 450 and PC components

Post by David Figuero » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Just be careful of PC CD-Roms..

Standard PC Cdroms read a block size of 2048 bytes, while Solaris expects
blocks of 512 bites.  Most of the Plextors have a jumper or dipswitch that
allows you to choose your block size.

David Figueroa

>Of course one begs the question why would you want to? However,
>everything but the mainboard would be no problem because the hard
>drives, cd and floppy are pretty much standard components just like
>those used in high end pcs...
>regards

>>Has anybody got an idea if you can put standard PC components (mainboard,
>>HDs, CD-ROM and 3,5" floppy) into the case of a Ultra 30, 60 or 450
>>workstation?

>>Thanks in advance
>>Matthias Werner

cases of Ultra 30, Ultra 60 and Ultra 450 and PC components

Post by Matthias Werne » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Ummm.....  Why?

>If you had the budget to afford one of the above workstations,
>you could certainly afford either a maintenance contract or
>genuine Sun parts (http://www.sun.com/spares).

The other way round: As I can't afford one (or lets say even one tenth) of
the workstations listed above, I'm trying to get a Ultra case and equip it
with PC components.

Quote:>need to support auto-eject.  Mainboards?  Are you kidding?

No. A K6 should be fine. And much cheaper than a real Sun Ultra.

Bye
Matthias

Post by Philip Bro » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>>Ummm.....  Why?

>>If you had the budget to afford one of the above workstations,
>>you could certainly afford either a maintenance contract or
>>genuine Sun parts (http://www.sun.com/spares).
>The other way round: As I can't afford one (or lets say even one tenth) of
>the workstations listed above, I'm trying to get a Ultra case and equip it
>with PC components.

But again, why? Just so you can fool some people into thinking you have stuff
running on a true Ultra, then say "Look! We don't need no stinkin
sunhardware!"

Hmmm? Perhaps?

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

Post by Dan Mi » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Just be careful of PC CD-Roms..

>Standard PC Cdroms read a block size of 2048 bytes, while Solaris expects
>blocks of 512 bites.

Incorrect; SPARC machines have some limitations, I believe, but either
style CD-ROM works with Solaris on Intel.

cases of Ultra 30, Ultra 60 and Ultra 450 and PC components

Post by Matthias Werne » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Philip Brown schrieb in Nachricht ...
Quote:>But again, why? Just so you can fool some people into thinking you have
stuff
>running on a true Ultra, then say "Look! We don't need no stinkin
>sunhardware!"

>Hmmm? Perhaps?

Could be. Perhaps of course. But another thing is that the Ultra 450 case is
the only one which has got lots of space inside, a good cooling system _and_
fits to the desk in design & "cool" look.

Bye
Matthias

Post by Philip Bro » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Philip Brown schrieb in Nachricht ...
>>But again, why? Just so you can fool some people into thinking you have
>>stuff running on a true Ultra, then say "Look! We don't need no stinkin
>>sunhardware!"

>>Hmmm? Perhaps?
>Could be. Perhaps of course. But another thing is that the Ultra 450 case is
>the only one which has got lots of space inside, a good cooling system _and_
>fits to the desk in design & "cool" look.

fits to the desk?

The 450?
Don't you mean "IS the desk"? :-)

The 450 is an almost scary piece of chassis design. Major earthquake engineer
techie droolfest. The thing supports THREE , HOT-SWAPPABLE powersupplies,
fergoodnesssake! :-)

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

1. Ultra 60 and Enterprise 450

Totally different machine.  First thing comes to mind that the U60 only
takes 2 processors and the E450 takes 4.  The 450 can hold 20 disks
internally.  Hang some more externally and it can handle something like 7T.

I'd suggest checking out their home page.

Ray

2. mirror volumes

3. SCSI Ultra 320 HDD on Sun Ultra 60

4. Telecommuting

5. Ultra 10 / Ultra 60

6. Recvfrom() in an inetd server

7. ultra-scsi diff. card in Ultra 60 (problem)

8. htpasswd and password verification

9. Ultra 60 vs Ultra II

10. Ultra 10 vs Ultra 60

11. Swapping an 18GB disk from an Ultra 1 to an Ultra 60

12. Ultra 60 to Ultra 2 disk clone

13. Ultra 10 Vs Ultra 30