X-Windows client for Windows NT/95

Post by Melvin To » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 05:27:15

Hi-

Does anyone know of any free X-windows client for Windows NT/95 and at
least free for educational use?  I've got students telneting into our
Solaris box but of course they can't use text edit with a telnet
session. They could use vi or emacs for their programming class but
these are people who don't know a thing about unix let alone ever touch
a computer.

Melvin

X-Windows client for Windows NT/95

Post by grocb » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 06:49:54

i saw one last week
KEA by attachmate(i think)
its ok, nothing special, but maybe a place to start

Quote:> Hi-

--
Brad Grocholski
Technology Systems Engineering

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

X-Windows client for Windows NT/95

Post by John D Groenve » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 07:43:49

You're terminology is reversed for X Windows. You want to run
an X server on your Windows client system. An X client would be
the application you plan to run on your Solaris server.

I use Hummingbird Exceed, but its not free. I know of no free
X servers. I believe Xwin32 is available for evaluation. Also
look at VNC, which isn't X, but is very interesting.
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/
John

Post by Douglas Hense » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:31:16

> Hi-

> Does anyone know of any free X-windows client for Windows NT/95 and at
> least free for educational use?  I've got students telneting into our
> Solaris box but of course they can't use text edit with a telnet
> session. They could use vi or emacs for their programming class but
> these are people who don't know a thing about unix let alone ever touch
> a computer.

> Melvin

You should look into using VNC, which is a remote X-display system.The
"server" side runs on the Sun box and the "client" side runs on the PC
box.
Plus the software is free.

Please have a look at

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Hope this helps

X-Windows client for Windows NT/95

Post by chip » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 00:46:22

I use the VNC software and it works great.  I actually was using Exceed but
ran into problems with
some displays.  Vnc had no problems with it.

Cp

Post by James A. Thornto » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 19:08:54

> I use the VNC software and it works great.  I actually was using Exceed but
> ran into problems with
> some displays.  Vnc had no problems with it.

> Cp

> > Hi-

> > Does anyone know of any free X-windows client for Windows NT/95 and at
> > least free for educational use?  I've got students telneting into our
> > Solaris box but of course they can't use text edit with a telnet
> > session. They could use vi or emacs for their programming class but
> > these are people who don't know a thing about unix let alone ever touch
> > a computer.

> > Melvin

Check out Xwin32. works great with ssh + x11 forwarding. I think you can
pick it up at Tucows.

--JamesT
--

James A. Thornton
Unix System Administrator

X-Windows client for Windows NT/95

Post by Tor Slettne » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 19:55:14

    Melvin> Hi- Does anyone know of any free X-windows client for
    Melvin> Windows NT/95 and at least free for educational use?  I've
    Melvin> got students telneting into our Solaris box but of course
    Melvin> they can't use text edit with a telnet session. They could
    Melvin> use vi or emacs for their programming class but these are
    Melvin> people who don't know a thing about unix let alone ever
    Melvin> touch a computer.

You'll probably be better off using VNC, rather than installing X
servers on every client.

On the Solaris side, each student would run an X session inside a VNC
server.  Each student would be assigned a display number, and would
start a session in a fashion like:

    $ vncserver :1

(where :1 should be replaced with that student's assigned display
number).

On the Windows side, they either:

  - install (or run from a file server) the VNC client,
    which is extremely light, or

  - access their X session via a web browser.
    (The VNC server sends a Java applet).

First time they run the server, they will be prompted to enter a VNC
password, which they will need in order to access their desktop from
their clients.

(The Windows and Macintosh versions of the VNC server work a little
differently, since these are not exactly multi-user OSes.  Instead of
allocating a new display, they share the console/desktop, in a fashion
similar to PCAnywhere, except smaller and faster).

VNC is GPL'ed.  You can get it from:

        http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

or a different version:

        http://www.tridiavnc.com/

If you still want an X server, one that used to be free (but
apparently no longer is) can be located at:

        http://www.microimages.com/mix/

Maybe v1.0 (the free version) is still around somewhere.

-tor

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:29:49

>..
>Check out Xwin32. works great with ssh + x11 forwarding. I think you can
>pick it up at Tucows.

oh really?

http://www.starnet.com/productinfo/
says it belongs to them, and costs $200 per seat. Good grief!

ANd it claims to be the "most affordable"??? Sheeesh!!
ANd elsewhere on the site, it claims individual licenses are $249!!
What a rip-off!

The word of the day is mispergitude

Post by Eric Edwar » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:56:06

>>..
>>Check out Xwin32. works great with ssh + x11 forwarding. I think you can
>>pick it up at Tucows.

>oh really?

>http://www.starnet.com/productinfo/
>says it belongs to them, and costs $200 per seat. Good grief!

It does.  I think James is confused with Xwin Pro.  That one has been
transformed into shareware at $90 and is on Tucows.  If it works for
you, great, but I warn that you can't even log into a Solaris without
seeing evidence of problems in the emulation.

Quote:>ANd it claims to be the "most affordable"??? Sheeesh!!
>ANd elsewhere on the site, it claims individual licenses are $249!!
>What a rip-off!

Well it's certainly not free.  But a rip-off?  You should look at the
competition.  Reflection X is $350. Exceed is over $600.  There are
other X servers, some a little less than Xwin32, some a little more.
Most don't work half as well and often, (depending on your application)
aren't even usable.

There's MI/X which is free.  But last time I tried it, it wouldn't even
run Netscape for 5 minutes without crashing.

Personally, I find the high cost and lack of quality among MSWin based
X-servers baffling but I think it's wrong to single out one app, one of
the better ones, even, as a "rip-off".

--
Real courtesy requires human effort and understanding.
Never let your machine or your habit send courtesy copies.

Post by Philip Bro » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 04:13:36

>There's MI/X which is free.

it was $35 or something last I checked.

Quote:

>Personally, I find the high cost and lack of quality among MSWin based
>X-servers baffling but I think it's wrong to single out one app, one of
>the better ones, even, as a "rip-off".

Well, I had good experiences with MI/X back when it was free.
So when there's a free or almost free alternative available, and something
that is three times its price or more adds little extra value, I'd say
that's a rip-off

Post by Kenny McCorma » Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:29:54

>>There's MI/X which is free.

>it was $35 or something last I checked.

Initially, MIX was free.  Recently, they switched to shareware.  If you can
still find the original version (which is, I think, version 1.x - with the
current version being 2.x), you can use it for free.

Quote:>>Personally, I find the high cost and lack of quality among MSWin based
>>X-servers baffling but I think it's wrong to single out one app, one of
>>the better ones, even, as a "rip-off".

>Well, I had good experiences with MI/X back when it was free.
>So when there's a free or almost free alternative available, and something
>that is three times its price or more adds little extra value, I'd say
>that's a rip-off

MIX doesn't work much past the "I can run the 3 basic X apps on it (*)" level.
Not only does it not work with non-trivial X apps, but it lacks many
expected features, such as security.  It also runs as a self-contained
window, rather than putting the X windows directly onto your Windows
desktop.

XWin-32 is actually pretty good value, as others have pointed out, even
though it does kind stick in the craw to pay $200 for shareware.

(*) xterm, xclock, and xload
Check out:

    http://catalog.com/hopkins/unix-haters/x-windows/disaster.html

X-Windows client for Windows NT/95

Post by Raf LaPiet » Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:35:32

The best one I have seen is Xmanager www.xmanager.com. Free eval and cheap
license, even cheaper for students.

Post by Steve Bellen » Tue, 16 Jan 2001 07:59:22

>>>There's MI/X which is free.

>>it was $35 or something last I checked.

>Initially, MIX was free.  Recently, they switched to shareware.  If you can
>still find the original version (which is, I think, version 1.x - with the
>current version being 2.x), you can use it for free.

>>>Personally, I find the high cost and lack of quality among MSWin based
>>>X-servers baffling but I think it's wrong to single out one app, one of
>>>the better ones, even, as a "rip-off".

>>Well, I had good experiences with MI/X back when it was free.
>>So when there's a free or almost free alternative available, and something
>>that is three times its price or more adds little extra value, I'd say
>>that's a rip-off

>MIX doesn't work much past the "I can run the 3 basic X apps on it (*)" level.
>Not only does it not work with non-trivial X apps, but it lacks many
>expected features, such as security.  It also runs as a self-contained
>window, rather than putting the X windows directly onto your Windows
>desktop.

Hmmm it has been a while, but getting the old free MI/X to display Maple
or Mathematica only required adding fonts.
--
http://www.math.fsu.edu/~bellenot
bellenot <At/> math.fsu.edu

X-Windows client for Windows NT/95

Post by Kenny McCorma » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 01:03:54

Quote:>>MIX doesn't work much past the "I can run the 3 basic X apps on it (*)" level.
>>Not only does it not work with non-trivial X apps, but it lacks many
>>expected features, such as security.  It also runs as a self-contained
>>window, rather than putting the X windows directly onto your Windows
>>desktop.

>Hmmm it has been a while, but getting the old free MI/X to display Maple
>or Mathematica only required adding fonts.

Interesting.  I didn't think it was possible to add fonts to it - the
general impression I always got from their documentation and the FAQ was
that "you couldn't do that and we have no plans to support it" - whenever
you wanted to do something that was beyond what was there.  There was a
general spirit of "Whaddya want for nothin'?"

Plus, on the subject of fonts, I didn't think that the package came with
fonts (beyond the default), so, presumably, if you were able to add them,
you must have snarfed/hacked them from a Unix box onto your Windows box.
I've no doubt you are capable of doing this, but it is certainly beyond the
ken of the typical Windows user.  I've done some of the X fonts dance, and
I'm well aware that it isn't trivial.

Post by Philip Bro » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:46:41

>>Well, I had good experiences with MI/X back when it was free.
>>So when there's a free or almost free alternative available, and something
>>that is three times its price or more adds little extra value, I'd say
>>that's a rip-off

>MIX doesn't work much past the "I can run the 3 basic X apps on it (*)"
>level.\

Then again, if you're running that many X apps, maybe you should have UNIX
on your desktop instead of winblows anyway :-)

The word of the day is mispergitude

Hello!

I have 3 questions about X-windows:

Is there a good graphical bases typewriter (not editor) in which
i can write and layout text in x-windows, without using a bunch
of codes as in e.g. latech.

Is it possible to make a telnet like connection in a MS windows
based PC to a unix machine which is capable to run the X-windows
system. So i could use for example Xmaple when I am sitting home
where i dont have unix, but I do have a fast pc and internet.

Is there a special X-windows newsgroup?

Please e-mail me because i cant read the newsgroups so often.

thanks

Sander Zboray
http://gene.wins.uva.nl/~zboray

2. cfsetispeed broken??

3. NT Web Server : Seeking beta testers for Windows 95, Windows NT Web Server

4. voice over internet

5. X-Windows (Was - Re: Windows 95, what a joke)

6. printcap for IBM4019 on Sun 3/260

7. X-windows on Windows 95

8. Boca IO650 registers?

9. Why does RedHat Linux 4 X-Windows try to look like Windows 95

10. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

11. I want Linux, Windows 95 & Windows NT all on C:

12. Solaris, Windows NT, Window 95, Linux boot question

13. Can I use the printer attached a PC Windows 95 or Windows NT