change group id for all files of a given group name ?

change group id for all files of a given group name ?

Post by Mario Desideri » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

If possible could you send me the command line or korn shell to change
the group id number for all the files of a given group name.

Thank you very much,

Mario Desiderio

change group id for all files of a given group name ?

Post by andy » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

find . -group <group> -exec chgrp <newgrp> {} \; -print

where group = group you wanna change from
newgrp=new group

i.e. find . -group old -exec chgrp new {} \; -print

omit -print if you dont care what it changes!

To stay on the current mounted filesystem:  find . -mount -group ...
To confirm each change:  change -exec to -ok

Andy

--
Andy

-----------------------------
All viewpoints expressed in this communication are those of the individuals
involved and do not reflect the opinions or positions of any other indivdual
or organisation unless expressly stated thus.

>Hello,

>If possible could you send me the command line or korn shell to change
>the group id number for all the files of a given group name.

>Thank you very much,

>Mario Desiderio

1. change to new gid or new group name all files of given group name or gid

Hello,

I need to reorganize group names and gid in a server.

If possible could you send me the command line or korn shell to change
to a new group id number and new group name for all the files of a given
old group name or old gid in all the file systems.

Off course, new group name and new gid have already being defined in
/etc/group and also user have being updated to new gid in /etc/passwd.

Thank you very much,

Mario Desiderio

2. PnP card with CD ROM

3. change group name and gid for all files of given old group name or old gid

4. GCC 2.7.2 , XFree86 , ELF not compiling shared ?

5. ls -l displays numeric group id-not group name

6. ide.c won't compile w/1.2.10

7. owner id and group id change after mount the new disk

8. What's the command to copy all shell input to a file?

9. redefining group id's in /etc/group ???

10. Figuring out basic groups and group ids for a new linux system

11. change a group of file names?

12. cannot set up UMASK or groups so that users from one group cannot access other groups

13. change a group of file names?