NFS vs NIS -- passwd/shadow????

Post by Ralf K. Wiegan » Wed, 19 Sep 2001 02:41:24

Hello Solarland -
I have a small network 15-20 U10's, U80's and U60's.
How do I setup NFS as a central passwd/shadow authentication mechanism
I don't want to use NIS.  The network is just to small... and all what the
users need is the same password on every workstation...  Any suggestions???
Thanks
Ralf
--
Ralf K. Wiegand
TCS, Albany New York

NFS vs NIS -- passwd/shadow????

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Wed, 19 Sep 2001 22:54:53

> I have a small network 15-20 U10's, U80's and U60's.
> How do I setup NFS as a central passwd/shadow authentication mechanism

I want to drive my vacuum cleaner to work, but I can't do that either.

NFS is Network File System. It can't be used directly as an authentication
mechanism. I suppose you could set up an NFS shared directory that held passwd
and shadow files, then symlink them into /etc, but you'd be SCREWED if the NFS
server went down.

Quote:> I don't want to use NIS.  The network is just to small... and all what the
> users need is the same password on every workstation...  Any suggestions???

Even 15-20 workstations is enough to make NIS worthwhile. It's really not that
hard to set up, as most of it is scripted out for you already. Just consult
the Solaris 8 Naming (Service) Guide at http://docs.sun.com

1. changing passwd on NIS server updates /etc/shadow only and not shadow.byname map

Platform: Suse Linux Professional 9.1

Changing a passwd on an NIS client using the passwd command works
fine.  The /etc/shadow and shadow.byname map gets updated on the NIS
server machine.

However, changing a passwd on the NIS server using the passwd command
only updates the /etc/shadow file.  The shadow.byname map does not get
updated.  The only way I can think of to fix this is to set up a cron
job to periodically run
make -C /var/yp

I am using Thorsten Kukuk's pam_unix2.so module which is suppose to be
 "clever" enough to find out whether the account it's dealing with is
local or NIS but it does not appear to work.

Any idea what's wrong?

2. Help with Leafnode filters

3. Convert NIS passwd back to standard /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow

4. Which Netscape?

5. NIS+ users can read shadow from nis+ passwd table

6. libc 4.6.27 bug

7. NIS vs NIS+ (passwd file)

8. HELP respawning too fast

9. 2.4 + NIS + shadow passwd

10. Central admin. (/etc/passwd/group/shadow) without NIS

11. HELP: Linux with shadow passwd as NIS client for SUNOS 4.1.3

12. NIS/passwd/shadow

13. NIS with passwd and shadow?