Solaris Spreadsheet

Post by Chris Lewi » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Help,

I'm looking for a UNIX (Solaris 2.5/2.6) spreadsheet which is more user
friendly than 'sc'.  Something in the simple 123/exel mould with graphic
capabilities.

Unless it's as simple as windows products I have no chance of getting people
in our office to use it (without them asking me questions all day every
day - like they don't already :) )

Does anyone have any ideas - it doesn't have to be free/shareware.

Thanks,

Chris Lewis

Solaris Spreadsheet

Post by Andre » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I'm looking for a UNIX (Solaris 2.5/2.6) spreadsheet which is more user
> friendly than 'sc'.  Something in the simple 123/exel mould with graphic
> capabilities.
> Unless it's as simple as windows products I have no chance of getting people
> in our office to use it (without them asking me questions all day every
> day - like they don't already :) )
> Does anyone have any ideas - it doesn't have to be free/shareware.

I've been very pleased with NeXS.  It's a nice X11 spreadsheet that
resembles 123/Excel (but better IMHO), and it can read and write a number
of popular spreadsheet file formats.

Check out www.xess.com.  It's not free, but well worth the cost IMHO (a
cost which is quite a bit less than 123/Excel I might add).

--

Sysadmin, Insync Internet Services  |  believing in it, doesn't go away."
BOFH, Wielder of the sacred LART    |           -- Philip K.*

Solaris Spreadsheet

Post by Steve Bellen » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>> I'm looking for a UNIX (Solaris 2.5/2.6) spreadsheet which is more user

>I've been very pleased with NeXS.  It's a nice X11 spreadsheet that
>resembles 123/Excel (but better IMHO), and it can read and write a number
>of popular spreadsheet file formats.

I will second this recommendation.

Post by art.. » Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Help,

> I'm looking for a UNIX (Solaris 2.5/2.6) spreadsheet which is more user
> friendly than 'sc'.  Something in the simple 123/exel mould with graphic
> capabilities.

> Unless it's as simple as windows products I have no chance of getting people
> in our office to use it (without them asking me questions all day every
> day - like they don't already :) )

> Does anyone have any ideas - it doesn't have to be free/shareware.

Our company, Applied Information Systems, provides the XESS spreadsheet
for Solaris, most other UNIX systems, OpenVMS, and Windows NT.  It should
feel quite familiar to 123 and Excel users.  XESS can import and export
Excel (3,4,5,7) and WK1/WKS/WK3/WK4 files for compatibility with your PC
users.  XESS 3.1 is shipping today.  Information and demos are available
at http://www.ais.com.

Xess97 (also known as XESS 4.0) will be released shortly and includes
many enhancements including support for 3-D spreadsheets/workbooks,
enormous sheets, dynamic international support, and much more.
While very biased, we at AIS believe that Xess97 is far superior to any
other spreadsheet in the X Windows/Motif environment.  Demos for
this version will be available for download in a couple of weeks.

arthur coston
applied information systems

Solaris Spreadsheet

Post by Don Turrenti » Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Check out Wingz at www.wingz.com.

-Don

Solaris Spreadsheet

Post by Dave Johnso » Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:00:00

.
.
.

Quote:

> Our company, Applied Information Systems, provides the XESS spreadsheet
> for Solaris, most other UNIX systems, OpenVMS, and Windows NT.  It should
> feel quite familiar to 123 and Excel users.  XESS can import and export
> Excel (3,4,5,7) and WK1/WKS/WK3/WK4 files for compatibility with your PC
> users.  XESS 3.1 is shipping today.  Information and demos are available
> at http://www.ais.com.

> Xess97 (also known as XESS 4.0) will be released shortly and includes
> many enhancements including support for 3-D spreadsheets/workbooks,
> enormous sheets, dynamic international support, and much more.
> While very biased, we at AIS believe that Xess97 is far superior to any
> other spreadsheet in the X Windows/Motif environment.  Demos for
> this version will be available for download in a couple of weeks.

Is it supported on Solaris x86?

-Dave

Solaris Spreadsheet

Post by Olivier Lefevr » Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I'm looking for a UNIX (Solaris 2.5/2.6) spreadsheet. Something in
> the simple 123/exel mould with graphic capabilities.

Well, the Applix office suite: http://www.applix.com/ is used in
a lot of places.

> Our company, Applied Information Systems, provides the XESS
> spreadsheet for Solaris. While very biased, we at AIS believe that
> Xess97 is far superior to any other spreadsheet in the X Window/
> Motif environment.

Can you expand a little bit on that, particularly w/ reference
to Applix? And what is the relationship between ais.com and
xess.com? Which one makes NExS exactly?

Thanks,

-- O.L.

Solaris Spreadsheet

Post by art.. » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>> I'm looking for a UNIX (Solaris 2.5/2.6) spreadsheet. Something in
>> the simple 123/exel mould with graphic capabilities.

>> Our company, Applied Information Systems, provides the XESS
>> spreadsheet for Solaris. While very biased, we at AIS believe that
>> Xess97 is far superior to any other spreadsheet in the X Window/
>> Motif environment.

> Can you expand a little bit on that, particularly w/ reference
> to Applix?

We believe that the XESS family of spreadsheet products (and in particular
the new version) has the richest set of features/functions (nearly 300),
the most robust design, the easiest integration with other products, the
highest performance, and the best co-existance with Excel and Lotus.

Xess97 supports a very large spreadsheet model (4095 sheets by 4095 columns
by 10 million rows, although we would not recommend all at the same time :)
with a high degree of compatibility with Excel and Lotus workbooks.  The
import filters handle not just the formulas but also things like colors,
borders, background patterns, cell notes, etc.  And all of this is with
a Motif-compliant user interface.

The XESS API option lets you develop applications which can control the
entire spreadsheet -- storing and retrieving data, defining functions,
tailoring the menu structures, drawing on the spreadsheet,...  AIS
and others provide add-ins for specialized applications.  For example,
Xess/Trade interfaces with financial market data.

XESS is not a suite of products like Applix, but we believe it is stronger
than their spreadsheet component.  Check http://www.ais.com in a week or
two for demo versions of Xess97.  Then you can be the judge.

Quote:> And what is the relationship between ais.com and
> xess.com? Which one makes NExS exactly?

xess.com is X Engineering Software Systems Corporation, a company formed
by professors who were involved in the development of early versions of
the XESS spreadsheet.  They later developed and market NExS.

ais.com is Applied Information Systems, Inc. a 25 year old company which
develops, markets, and supports the XESS spreadsheet and related
commercial products.

I regret the on-going confusion in the marketplace caused by the name
similarities.

arthur coston
applied information systems

Solaris Spreadsheet

Post by Andre » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Is it supported on Solaris x86?

According to their web page (http://www.veryComputer.com/), yes.

Here's an excerpt:
Xess97 Supported Platforms
                   Sun SPARC (Solaris, SunOS)
                   IBM RS/6000 (AIX)
                   HP 9000 (HP-UX)
                   Silicon Graphics (IRIX)
                   DEC Alpha AXP (UNIX, OpenVMS)
                   DEC VAX (OpenVMS)
                   DECstation (Ultrix)
                   Data General Aviion (88/Open)
                   Intel PC (Linux, SCO, Solaris X86, Exceed/NT)
                   Alpha PC (Exceed/NT)

--

Sysadmin, Insync Internet Services  |  believing in it, doesn't go away."
BOFH, Wielder of the sacred LART    |           -- Philip K.*

Solaris Spreadsheet

Post by Vivek Khindr » Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:00:00

Another UNIX spreadsheet to evaluate would be Applixware.

Vivek Khindria

[Help,

[I'm looking for a UNIX (Solaris 2.5/2.6) spreadsheet which is more
user
[friendly than 'sc'.  Something in the simple 123/exel mould with
graphic
[capabilities.

[Unless it's as simple as windows products I have no chance of getting
people
[in our office to use it (without them asking me questions all day
every
[day - like they don't already :) )

[Does anyone have any ideas - it doesn't have to be free/shareware.

[Thanks,

[Chris Lewis

Solaris Spreadsheet

Post by Joe Picone - The Terminal Ma » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

There is always xspread - basic but free.

 export.lcs.mit.edu
 ftp.cs.uwm.edu

-Joe Picone

Solaris Spreadsheet

Post by Wojciech Tara » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Help,

> I'm looking for a UNIX (Solaris 2.5/2.6) spreadsheet which is more user
> friendly than 'sc'.  Something in the simple 123/exel mould with graphic
> capabilities.

> Unless it's as simple as windows products I have no chance of getting people
> in our office to use it (without them asking me questions all day every
> day - like they don't already :) )

> Does anyone have any ideas - it doesn't have to be free/shareware.

> Thanks,

> Chris Lewis

Chris,

        For Real Time applications we use the ApplixWare software - it works
under Solaris 2.5.1. Pls. look to www.applix.com .

Best Regards,

Wojciech

1. Commerical Spreadsheet for Solaris 2.x?

: Does anyone know of/has used a commerical spreadsheet package and would
: like to give me some pointers?  It needs to be run in a Solaris 2.5.1
: environment (all SPARCS).

I'd seriously consider MAE (Macintosh Application Environment, an Apple
product), which lets you run Mac programs on a SPARC (or HP). Then just
use Excel.

2. How PS command works?

3. spreadsheet program for Solaris 2.3

4. inode/socket overflow w/ [pc]nfs?

5. Spreadsheet for Solaris

6. ld bug solved. My fault!

7. AIS Releases XESS Spreadsheet for Solaris x86

8. Problems with mail on sun solaris/ sun 4

9. View Excel spreadsheets under Solaris 2.5

10. AIS Releases XESS Spreadsheet for Solaris x86

11. Solaris 2.4/Sparc spreadsheet

12. need spreadsheet (commercial or freeware) for Solaris

13. Replacement for Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet on Sun/Solaris