Arp cache logic different on 2.5?

Post by Chip Campbe » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

We've had an odd situation that seems to highlight different arp behavior
between Solaris 2.5 and 2.3.  We've got a PC that changes its ethernet address
(not its IP address) when it switches from DOS to Linux (we're trying to debug
this separately), and our 2.3 server has no trouble immediately responding to
the new address but the 2.5 server doesn't. It takes up to two minutes to clue
in and respond correctly. It's like the 2.3 system is updating the arp cache
with every packet that comes in, but the 2.5 system isn't.

Is this as intended or is something odd about our 2.5 machine?

Honestly, of all the things that can break, I thought I could trust arp.

Chip Campbell
Sunnybrook Health Science Centre (U of Toronto)

1. arp cache problems/arp ip walks

How often do you see the burst of arp requests from skunk? The arp
cache times out periodically; I believe it defaults to 1 minute.

Perry

                      PGP encrypted mail welcome
            Visit KidPub!  http://www.kidpub.org/kidpub

2. Looking for Linux/UNIX training material.

3. ARP Requests by AIX (3.2.5/4.1) and Solaris 2.5

4. egcs: A new compiler project to merge the existing GCC forks

5. Disabling ARP on Solaris 2.5

6. iptable: open port 9999

7. 2.5 slower with caching?

8. Conducting research on this newsgroup (please read)

9. I have a problem with accept system call behavior, 2.6 different from 2.5

10. [2.5] reproducible smp_call_function/_interrupt cache update race.

11. Booting from Solaris 2.5 systemdisk on different platforms

12. getrusage on different solarises: 2.4/2.5

13. PCI cache line messages 2.4/2.5