Solaris 2.5 system file table and file lock info for alerting on thresholds

Solaris 2.5 system file table and file lock info for alerting on thresholds

Post by Tom Edga » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I'm writing a monitor to trap on certain system variables (i.e., proc
table, file table, lock table, shm id, sem ids, and load avg).

I can get most of these via adb/sysdef/ipcs/sar -v.

My difficultly is with file table and locks (system wide).

running sar -v shows e.g., 470/470 for  file table.  I assume this is
one of the dynamic tables and is not limited like proc table.
Can someone confirm this?

Also, running sar -v shows 0/0 for locks (where n>0).  This may be that
no file locks were active at the time - or it is not
reported by sar.  Can someone comment on this?

For each parameter I'm looking for the numerator and the denominator
(i.e., used/available) to give, potentially a percentage.

Your help is much appreciated (I'm cranking through the Sun Performance
Tuning book, Panic, Sun Capacity and Planning,
System Performance Tuning, Sun Education System Performance Management,
and an assortment of other books).  but
cannot definitively answer these remaining questions.  I plan to also
look at the Answer book.

Knowing the symbols in the kernel would be helpful.  I did grep for the
symbol table in /dev/ksyms and had no luck for system
files and file locks.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom Edgar
313-206-4701 (work) 9-6 EDT

1. solaris 2.5 system mounts an file system on NT server thru NFS

Hi,

    we have crossed mounted a file system onto a solaris 2.5 system from
NT server. On the NT server, the particular directory has given full
access privilliges to everyone. However on the SUN host, other users can
only see the information under that file system after "root" browses the
same directory first. It seems that NFS client maintains a cache
locally, when the request fails to hit in the cache it sends the request
to NT server. The NT server, for some reason, does not return the
information when the request is from users other than root. Anybody has
any idea about how I can properly give the privilige to certain users
other than root?

    Thank you all a lot.

-Yenyue Pai

2. Default Address

3. Problems with nfs file locks under Solaris 2.5

4. vi editor FAQ (Frequently Asked Question List), Part 2/2

5. Solaris 2.5, Wabi 2.1 and file locking...

6. DEL key...I want it working.... :-)

7. Need help matching stale NFS file handle to a file, Solaris 2.5

8. chps -d

9. Install a new file system type on VFS in Solaris 2.5 ?

10. Solaris 2.5 fsck displays FILE SYSTEM STATE IN SUPERBLOCK WRONG

11. Setting system maximum file descriptor (Solaris 2.5)

12. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

13. Solaris 2.5 ufsdump hangs on empty file systems