looking for replacement lp subsystem

Post by ken » Sat, 13 Aug 1994 02:36:15

Hello, I am looking for a replacement package that will replace the lpr system
on SUnOS and the lp subsystem on Solaris 2.X.  We have printouts that go on
for tens of thousands of pages, and to start over when the printer screws up
is VERY annoying, especially considering that the older Primos system had a
backup command.  Commerical packages are ok.

--

"No problem, here is how you make one" -- R. Barkley, ST: TNG

looking for replacement lp subsystem

Post by Nate Mann AP35-1008 x47 » Sat, 13 Aug 1994 03:56:09

   Try VAX/VMS.  Much nicer printing environment than what we've had to suffer
with on SUN/HP/IBM/SGI 'open systems'.  We actually map our U*nix queues to
VAX/VMS system (cluster queues); which provides those features we need.

   IMHO  "OPEN"="Black Hole of 'opportunuity'"

NOT sorry I can't provide any other solution.  Hey, it works for me!   :^)

Nate Mann
Sr CAD/CAM/CAE Sys Mgr
GE Appliances
Subj:   looking for replacement lp subsystem

Post by Steve Gunne » Sat, 13 Aug 1994 19:09:26

  > Hello, I am looking for a replacement package that will replace the lpr system
  > on SUnOS and the lp subsystem on Solaris 2.X.  We have printouts that go on
  > for tens of thousands of pages, and to start over when the printer screws up
  > is VERY annoying, especially considering that the older Primos system had a
  > backup command.  Commerical packages are ok.

There is a company in Sydney (Australia) founded by a couple of ex-Prime
software engineers. They have a number of Unix enhancements including a
Primos work-alike spooler and a Batch system. I'll look up the company name
when I get back to work on monday. Also I seem to recall that Computervision
has some primos like enhancements for Unix as well.

Enjoy,

-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------

-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------

1. LP subsystem problem

Hello,
I am running Solaris 2.5.1 on SS-5 and US-1 clients.
I have a HP 4000N using the Jetadmin software. It works fine until there
is a load
(read concentration of print requests) on the system. Then what happens
is it prints a
document with:

This job is recovered from page 152!!
(Note: There may be a few pages duplicated)

The print host does not report a error from lpstat -t
A remote host that was directing a print job to print host shortly after

this error condition reports a error from lpstat -t. Bouncing lpsched
locally
has no effect. Bouncing lpsched on print host clear the condition (that
was never reported)
and proceeds with outstanding print requests.

Is this senario familar to anyone?
Any work arounds?

Thanks

2. Exporting alias in ksh??

3. LP Subsystem

4. ANNOUNCING: Rdist version 6.1.2 RELEASE

5. How do you debug the lp subsystem

6. Problem with SENDMAIL

7. Security Vulnerability in lp subsystem

8. SLIP, PPP?

9. recommendations for lp replacement software

10. lp replacement

11. lp/lpr replacement

12. lp replacement

13. Patch to scsi_scan.c to look for LUNs on XYRATEX RAID subsystems