Virtual WU-FTPD Uploading problems: Bad File Number

Virtual WU-FTPD Uploading problems: Bad File Number

Post by PeeW » Wed, 06 Mar 1996 04:00:00

:
: I installed the patch to WU-FTPD to allow virtual anonymous ftp
: and compiled and installed it. I can log in to the new virtual
: domain, but when I try to issue a command like ls or so I keep
: getting the following error:
:
: 425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number

Well, I had this error when I was installing wu.ftpd, but I'm not doing
anything with virtual domains.  My fix went something like this: verify the
permissions on the home dirs were set down exactly as in the ftpd(8) man page
and make sure that my /etc/passwd entries were of the form:

joeuser:x:1000:1000:Joe User:/export/home/joeuser/./:/bin/false

and not of the form:

joeuser:x:1000:1000:Joe User:/export/home/joeuser:/bin/false

I forget excatly which of the two was my problem, but I believe that the upshot
it that things can't find libc after wu.ftpd does the chroot().

PeeWee

--
"We look hard, we look through, we look hard to see for real" Sisters of Mercy

"....and stop stomping around like that so much!!"   --Deanna Yow, on 12/18/95

1. wu-ftpd virtual upload problem

I've tried using the wu-ftpd (2.4, 2.4.2beta11, and BSDIs ftpd) all with
the virtual ftp patches installed.  The virtual ftp works just fine and
so do uploads.  I want to modify the permissions and ownership of
uploaded files so I use the upload feature in ftpaccess as follows:

 upload  /var/spool/ftp          /test   yes     bob     users    0600
 upload  /home/bob/ftp-site      /ads    yes     bob     users    0600

The first line works okay. (This is our non-virtual ftp site.)  The
files uploaded to /test are created user bob with group 'users' and the
permissions are as expected.

The second line sort of works fine, with one major problem.  The file
is created as user bob and group users and the permissions are fine,
BUT... the file has a zero length!  When I don't use the 'upload'
line above, the file is uploaded fine but of course the file
permissions and ownership are not as desired.

Any fixes?

Ron.

2. is this a bug?

3. NFS Bootdisk? (& X-Server via NFS)

4. wu-ftpd, ftpaccess, UMASK, upload problem... HELP!

5. crc error VFS: Cannot open root device 08:22

6. Wu-ftpd uploading problem,

7. Mounting Filesystems

8. WU-FTPD and Virtual Hosts can't get file listing

9. wu-ftpd and virtual ftp problems

10. resume upload for wu-ftpd server

11. wu-ftpd "upload" ftpaccess directive

12. resume on uploads? (wu-ftpd)