Solaris 2.5 on TP760CD

Post by bampo.. » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Anyone have any experiences to report installing Solaris 2.5 x86
>on a IBM ThinkPad 760CD?

>/ajd/
>--
>       _/_/    _/  _/_/_/_/     Andrew J. Doane
>    _/    _/  _/  _/                Vice President
>   _/_/_/_/  _/  _/_/_/_/           American Information Systems, Inc.

> _/    _/  _/  _/_/_/_/             (312) 255-8500 Voice, (312) 255-8501 Fax

I've installed Solaris 2.5 on my ThinkPad 760CD.  The basic installation
was relatively straight-forward.  However there is at least one major
hitch:

There does not seem to be Solaris support for the Trident * 9320 video
chip set used by the TP760CD.  This means that you can only get 640x480x16
 resolution using only about 80% of the screen.  A real problem if you are
using X Windows.  I'm still trying to resolve this issue.  If you have a
resolution for it, I'd appreciate knowing about it and will keep you
similarly informed with my progress (or lack of same).

Another potential problem involves the MWAVE modem.  Now, this part is
purely speculative, since my Mwave isn't working.  Actually, my TP760 was
purchased in February for the Director of my organization.  Having decided
it was too heavy to carry around comfortably, he bought a Toshiba Portege,
and I inherited the TP760  last week.  However, there are a couple of
serious problems with it, and I have  sent it back to IBM for warranty
service.  Having said that, I suspect that the Mwave won't work with
Solaris for the same reason that you can't get higher than 640x480
resolution:  lack of appropriate device driver.  Now, I might be wrong
about that. But, if there is no support for the Trident 9320, then the
Mwave may well fall into that same category.  Luckily, there is at least
an option if that is true:  buy a PCMCIA modem.  According to some of the
people I've talked with, that's the thing to do  anyway.  Apparently the
Mwave modem is a finicky item at best.

Brian

1. FS: Solaris 2.5 Desktop (CDE) and/or Solaris 2.5 Server Packages for x86 desktops

 Hi All,

  Just wanted to pass on some excellent deals on Solaris 2.5.1 software with
the WABI user interface for x86 machines. The WABI allows you to run many
Windows 3.1 applications on a UNIX box, giving you the best of both worlds.
Imagine, running MS OFFICE components like, MS Word for Windows, Excel,
Powerpoint, and interfacing with the functionality of UNIX at the same time.

For a limited time, John Cristy, at Executive Tools, Inc.,
is offering:

  Solaris 2.5.1 User Desktop package for $175.00
  Solaris 2.5.1 Application Server package for $395.00

Ref URL http://www.etools.com for full information and additional products.

They also have a student special (99.00 + shipping)(yes, you read that
right, Solaris 2.5.1 user desktop for $99.00).

Mention my name, Bob Fahey, and he will throw in the Java Workshop for
$85.00. Mention my name anyway, as he wants to know what the response is to
this.
If asked where you heard this, tell them not just the web, but the Newsgroup
you read it on.  Thanks.

The Executive Tools web site URL http://www.etools.com also has some
excellent links to other Solaris and Sun information pages.

 Executive Tools is not associated with this posting, so, if you have any

 replies, good or bad!

--
//signed//

URL http://www.3lefties.com/users/faheyb.html
Famous quote by daughter Elizabeth, "If I was them cows, I'd run away!"

2. IMAP hardware recommendations

3. how to install solaris 2.5 x86 to 2.5 gig WD HD

4. setting up a second server on a running apache

5. Solaris 2.5 & NeWSprint 2.5

6. Error message "unable to open an initial console"

7. Sparc10 solaris 2.5 to Sparc20 solaris 2.6 migration question

8. Linux Word Processors

9. can I install ab Solaris 2.5 to Solaris 2.7 x86

10. libc.a, solaris C 4.0 adn solaris 2.5...

11. PPP on Solaris 2.4 for Sparc, Matrox PCI Millenium Card under Solaris 2.5 x86

12. Solaris 2.3, Sparc 5 to Solaris 2.5, Ultra 170E upgrade

13. Solaris 2.5/x86 and non-Solaris fdisk partitions