Lost PROM Password

Lost PROM Password

Post by Christopher Inteman » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 04:00:32



Hi,
I just got a Sparc 2 from a friend on a loan, wich has an old Redhat Linux
installed.
Now I want to install Sol 7, but when I'm at the boot prompt and try to
boot from cdrom, I'm asked for a PROM Password.
This password is lost, how can I reset it?
On poweron the machine doesn't bring up a boot prompt, but is starting
slilo. Will solaris override the slilo configuration,
or will I have to delete it?
Thanks a lot
Ciao
 Christopher
 
 
 

Lost PROM Password

Post by Ravi Adap » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 04:21:34


Hi,

If you have lost the PROM password, then the only option is to reset on the
system board. I don't know what combination there is to
reset the PROM. Probably, after powering the system, if you could remove the
chip and replace it , then you may be able to
reset the pasword.


Quote:> Hi,
> I just got a Sparc 2 from a friend on a loan, wich has an old Redhat Linux
> installed.
> Now I want to install Sol 7, but when I'm at the boot prompt and try to
> boot from cdrom, I'm asked for a PROM Password.
> This password is lost, how can I reset it?
> On poweron the machine doesn't bring up a boot prompt, but is starting
> slilo. Will solaris override the slilo configuration,
> or will I have to delete it?
> Thanks a lot
> Ciao
>  Christopher


 
 
 

Lost PROM Password

Post by Christopher Inteman » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 04:56:02


Hi,

> Hi,

> If you have lost the PROM password, then the only option is to reset on the
> system board. I don't know what combination there is to
> reset the PROM. Probably, after powering the system, if you could remove the
> chip and replace it , then you may be able to
> reset the pasword.

Mhh, it would be great if anybody could tell me how to reset the Prom.
Is there any online documentation available?
Thank
  Ciao
   Christopher          



>> Hi,
>> I just got a Sparc 2 from a friend on a loan, wich has an old Redhat Linux
>> installed.
>> Now I want to install Sol 7, but when I'm at the boot prompt and try to
>> boot from cdrom, I'm asked for a PROM Password.
>> This password is lost, how can I reset it?
>> On poweron the machine doesn't bring up a boot prompt, but is starting
>> slilo. Will solaris override the slilo configuration,
>> or will I have to delete it?
>> Thanks a lot
>> Ciao
>>  Christopher

 
 
 

Lost PROM Password

Post by Martin Pau » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 20:40:39




>> If you have lost the PROM password, then the only option is to reset on the
>> system board. I don't know what combination there is to
>> reset the PROM. Probably, after powering the system, if you could remove the
>> chip and replace it , then you may be able to
>> reset the pasword.

> Mhh, it would be great if anybody could tell me how to reset the Prom.
> Is there any online documentation available?

The Sun NVRAM FAQ has some info about that:

  http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

It suggests getting a new NVRAM chip, or (but this could ruin the chip)
powering off the machine, pulling out the NVRAM chip, power the
machine on without and then hot-plug it in. Then one could use
set-defaults to reset the password. Never tried that.

Another option is probably removing the disk and then powering on
the machine. It should then do a diag boot, from net, I assume.
You'll need a second machine in the network on which you could
install an install server, though. Then you could use the eeprom
command to reset the password.

hth, mp.
--
                         Martin Paul | Systems Administrator

Liechtensteinstrasse 22, A-1090 Wien | Tel: 01 4277 38803
        http://www.par.univie.ac.at/ | Fax: 01 4277 9388

 
 
 

Lost PROM Password

Post by Logan Sh » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 02:29:35




Quote:>It suggests getting a new NVRAM chip, or (but this could ruin the chip)
>powering off the machine, pulling out the NVRAM chip, power the
>machine on without and then hot-plug it in. Then one could use
>set-defaults to reset the password. Never tried that.

>Another option is probably removing the disk and then powering on
>the machine. It should then do a diag boot, from net, I assume.
>You'll need a second machine in the network on which you could
>install an install server, though. Then you could use the eeprom
>command to reset the password.

A third option is to remove the disk from the machine, put it in
another machine, boot up that other machine, mount the first machine's
root filesystem, and change the root password on the first machine that
way.

Then, put the disk back and boot up the system.  You won't be able to
get in at the PROM level, but you will be able to login as root.  Then,
you can use the command "eeprom security-password=" to change the PROM
password.  (You might also want to change the setting for
"security-mode".)

This method requires that you have another SPARC system sitting around
that you can connect the drive to, but I think it's the easiest and
safest if you do have that available.

  - Logan

 
 
 

1. disable password aging & lost of root password on SCO Unixware 2.1.2

Could someone tell me how to disable the password aging management on
SCO unixware 2.1.2, and how to change the root password because we have
lost the previous one?

Thanks, JPG

2. mounting disks on a Linux PC

3. PROM Password.

4. HELP!!! What does <&- do?

5. PROM Password help

6. POP server - how to start it??

7. getting round a PROM password?

8. xvidtune

9. HELP - PROM password (SS2)

10. PROM password problems

11. HOW TO: Change PROM password

12. PROM Password help

13. SparcStation 2 PROM Password